Great 'disguised Own Brand' Hunt.

edited 9 October 2015 at 12:36PM in Gone Off!
2.2K replies 2.7M views

Replies

• BlegBleg Forumite
    332 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    Forumite
    I just love this site. I have read all 8 pages is this thread. I just cannot get enough. Well done Martin and to all you moneysavers out there. I have nothing to contribute at the moment but when I do you all would be the first to hear about it. Does Nescafe make coffee for anyone else?
    -Keep your eyes to the sunshine and you would not see the shadows-:beer:
    -Remember your forgetfulness is not my emergency:p
  • in answer to the question about how we know that Bourjois is made by Chanel, there was an article in Vogue magazine, i think it was last year, about this and so as I always use Bourjois make up I wrote to the company to ask them, and they comfirmed this saying that it wasnt unusual for a major brand to have a cheaper line as well but using the same high standards(their words)
    ADOPT DONT SHOP......🐕🐕🐕🐕
  • Hi,
    I know for sure that KELLOGGS in the UK do not make cereal for any other company
    they only make cereal for KELLOGGS. ;)

NESTLE make some cereal for supermarket brands! :D
  • recently bought a new dvd player from a 'pile em high sell em cheap' high street store. the chap in the shop was telling me to buy a brand i had never heard of saying that most dvd players were only made by three companies. i took his word for it and when i got home i took the lid of my old player (bought about a year aga) which is a wharfdale only to find everything inside is made by samsung. i'm going to wait until the warranty is out on the new one before i open that one!!!!
  • I was a cosmetic development chemist for Boots. In addition to Boots' own products we also developed, made and packed for other companies. The arrangement was purely financial so contract changed frequently; indeed some Boots' products were manufactured by other suppliers even though they had their own factory facilities. This has become increasingly common in the cosmetic industry.

The best advice for good value cosmetics and toiletries is to start with the cheapest and work up until you find the product you really like, then stick with it as long as you want.

The ingredients that are often used in the products title, like fruit or flowers, are present in very small quantities and do not contribute to the quality of the product; indeed for almost all of them there is no serious evidence of efficaciousness.

The rules change at the top end of the perfume market; you are selling an idea and a feeling that makes the consumer feel good in certain circumstances. So if you know you are wearing an expensive perfume you feel and act like a million dollars!
  • Yesterday we had bangers and mash for tea with some Lidl Premium Pork and Herb sausages, and very nice they were too. They are packed 6 in a plastic tray and a cardboard sleeve. There is also a pork sausage available without the herbs.

This morning I popped into Tesco Express, for my Sunday paper, and I noticed something familiar in the chiller cabinet. There was a pack of Tesco Finest Pork sausages in an identical plastic tray to the Lidl sausages. The Lidl price was £1.59, the Tesco Express price was £2.09.

There is no proof that the sausages are identical but we do know that items from the same production line can be sold for very different prices at different places.
  • Greenpen wrote:
    The ingredients that are often used in the products title, like fruit or flowers, are present in very small quantities and do not contribute to the quality of the product; indeed for almost all of them there is no serious evidence of efficaciousness.

I guessed this was the case years' ago. A pinch of the attractive sounding ingredients is only there to allow the ingredients to be used in the headline name of the product. It should be called fraud. The producers will stop at nothing to rip us off.

Regards
    George
  • needmoney wrote:
    Wish I or someone else had an answeer to this one but on holidy in Bulgaria I bought a copy perfume from Lidls, I never buy coipies thinking they are so inferior, but this one was so good I bought some to come home with it was a copy of D&G Light Blue.

I use Lidl's 'Eruption' Eau de Toilette which is an absolute bargain at £3.95 for 50ml. The precise aroma may be different from the big brand names but it's just as pleasant in its own way. Perhaps it is a re-packaged leading product after all. Never again will I buy a similar item duty-free, throwing away at least £10-£15 for 50ml.

Regards
    George
  • this is my first time - so forgive any mistakes!

Tesco own brand bottled water is from Highland Spring so it's the same water but a lower price.
  • Jillcg wrote:
    this is my first time - so forgive any mistakes!

Tesco own brand bottled water is from Highland Spring so it's the same water but a lower price.

Hi Jill - welcome to MSE :D
    The IVF worked;DS born 2006.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides