Great 'Fave Sub-£5 Beauty Products' Hunt?

Options

Comments

• violetta
    violetta Posts: 2,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    freyas wrote: »
    Does anyone remember a tv consumer programme doing a price comparison item,a year or two ago(sorry!) on how one of the "cheapie" supermarkets (it was either Lidl or Aldi) had an own brand Anti-ageing type face cream which was found to perform better than any of the £70 Lancome or Clarins type high end creams!?! (Apparently there were funny stories of Aldi Forecourts being swamped with ladies parking up in their Range Rovers the next day, trying to track down the cream!!) I'm not sure if it was true, or which supermarket did it...but I always meant to get some, and this "under £5 beauty forum" just reminded me of it! Can anyone help? If they still do it, I will definitely beat my way there&try it out!! Thanks

I think the products that were being raved about were from the Siana range at Aldi. If you pop 'Aldi' into the "search this thread" function just above your post, you will find all the posts mentioning the various types of Siana Aldi creams. :)
    A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion
  • SarahNeedle1872
    Options
    Ooo, loving this thread!! I remember the Rimmel concealer from when I was a kid! Will have to look into that one again :) I just use foundation to cover my dark circles at the minute, as I don't use it all over my face - makes me look old!
    Also the Tesco make-up!?! I didn't know they did make up... just getting back into Tesco after years of shopping at Sainsburys, so will take a look (although I do have enough make up for now :o )

Whats this about the hygiene/time issue? My liquid foundation is probably a couple of years old now, should I ditch and buy another one? *confused*

Also, can anyone recommend a good value lip gloss?

Happy hunting everyone :D

Sx
    'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars' - Oscar Wilde
  • SarahNeedle1872
    Options
    Simple's face wipes are £2.99 for a pack of 25 and are possibly the best I've ever used - they shift make-up really easily but don't dry your skin out.

Simple also do an excellent range for oily yet sensitive skin (as opposed to most skincare companies which think sensitive always equals dry) which all comes in at less than £5.

There's nearly always Simple in our 99p shop.... a possible alternative to my Liz Earle when it runs out!?!

Sx
    'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars' - Oscar Wilde
  • tara747
    tara747 Posts: 10,238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    2True mascara from Superdrug, £1.95 or 3 for £5!!!! Never flakes and has a great range of colours. Best mascara I've ever tried (except Hypnose and it's 10 times the price!). :)
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • violetta
    violetta Posts: 2,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Also, can anyone recommend a good value lip gloss?

A tin of Vaseline makes great cheap lip gloss - a great shine and seems to highlight the outline of your mouth in the right light (for an even cheaper deal, buy a big pot from the supermarket - I got some from Sainsbury's - and refill a little pot as necessary.)
    A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion
  • Carole_Hardy
    Options
    Am I the only person to use Anne French's cleansing milk? I've used it on and off for more than 20 years and always go back to it. You can get it from Superdrug, it's about £4 ish and last for ages. I would highly recommend it.
  • judyjetson
    judyjetson Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Am I the only person to use Anne French's cleansing milk? I've used it on and off for more than 20 years and always go back to it. You can get it from Superdrug, it's about £4 ish and last for ages. I would highly recommend it.

No, I use it too, and I love it but I don't use it everyday, as I find it dries my skin out a little, so I tend to just use it a couple of times a week as a deep cleanser - it really does dig out hidden dirt.
  • Nessa64
    Options
    Right then ladies, you have inspired me to have a go at using some cheaper brands - I am a Clarins girl through-and-through as you will see. I have always thought that you cant go cheap with the products you use on your face, but I am starting to see that maybe thats all in my head - I think I have been suckered in by the beauty counters, and maybe its time to change.

I took a trip out at lunchtime, and have bought the following to try for a month instead of my usual products. Hopefully I will be converted!!

Boots own Fragrance Free Eye Make Up Remover £1.49 to replace Clarins Gentle Eye Make Up Remover £15

Simple Face wipes £1.99 (in offer in Superdrug) to replace Clarins One Step Facial Cleanser £17.50

Garnier Nutritionist Night Cream £5 (on offer in Tesco) to replace Clarins Multi Active Night Cream £40

Superdrug Natural High Radiance Balm £1.95 (on offer) to replace Clarins Hydraquench Lotion £32

Garnier Nutritionist Eye Renew Cream £5 (on offer in Tesco) to replace Clarins Eye Contour Gel £25

Wish me luck, and I will post back in a month if anyone is still reading!
  • tiny_courageous
    Options

I had no idea they still did that, I remember that was the first ever cleansing milk I used
  • GrammarGirl
    GrammarGirl Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Options
    Pootle_3 wrote: »
    Snipped

Is it the rosewater and glycerine? I have this, not used it yet.

Do you feel the need to moisturise afterwards?

Ta

Yes it is! I have quite oily skin so don't moisturise after using this at nighttime, but I do use the Radiance Balm mentioned at the beginning of this thread after toning and before putting on my makeup.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure