Great 'Fave Sub-£5 Beauty Products' Hunt?

Options

Comments

• kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    joociejudy wrote: »
    I discovered Aldi's face cream £1.89 a pot and it's fantastic. They do day and night cream at same price, it was recommended:j on a Gok Wan program.

Also Simple facial wipes (mentioned in another thread) are widely available in pound shops....

I tried the Aldi face cream (night and day) and although I thought it was quite good I didn't particually like the smell of it - a bit to heavily perfumed for me :-(
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• 1maia
    1maia Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Re Lacura, i was living in germany and they have organic everything really cheap everywhere, lacura there is organic yet so cheap: i also got loads of Weleda samples from some chain chemist there for between 20cents and 50cents each (Weleda = superexpensive organics brand i never even look at). It smells so good. Just saying, in case you're walking past a cheap chemist chain in germany. Chemists on the continent are weird, they're usually 'dispensing' and extraordinarily expensive, but they have sub-types in each country. In Italy they have a traditional kind called an 'erboristeria' (note the word 'herb' in disguise). They're dying out, and are super expensive, but they sell pure, weird, traditional products, cheap because sold by weight (anyone else remember those 'scoop'n'weigh' shops with barrels of food?). Recommend powdered volcanic lava - amazing face mask, just mix with water. What i'm saying is, if you happen to be abroad, poke around:)
  • mcs2001
    mcs2001 Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use Nivea or Aqueous Cream and pick them up in bargain shops.
    Vaseline is good too.
  • loveangel88
    Options
    collection 2000 nailvarnishes are always good under £5 and i love some of Primarks makeup range Opia, the eyeshadow has good staying power for £1!
    :happyhear
  • GrammarGirl
    GrammarGirl Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Options
    Another vote for ELF here. My favourite product is their Mineral Face Primer - it's £6, but if you add them on Facebook they have regular discount codes (10% off, free delivery) so you can get it cheaper. I also love their mineral lipsticks (£3.50) and the studio eyebrow kit (£3.50).

For skincare I love the Boots Original range - gorgeous, vintage-style packaging that looks great in the bathroom and a really fab product too. The rose water toner is lovely and about £3.50 for a huge bottle that's lasted ages.
  • No_Future
    No_Future Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    t.belle wrote: »
    I swear by Garnier Soft Essentials cleansing milk and toner. I have really sensitive skin and these have never caused me any problems and always leave my skin feeling really clean and soft. And they smell of roses so that's a plus! They're often on offer in Boots 2 for £5.

I'm very much into my designer/high end brands and usually go for the expensive stuff, however after I was left very unimpressed with Clinique, so-so with Dior etc I tried the Garnier Soft Essentials Cleanser (pastel pink bottle, creamy lotion). It's so gentle, does not irritate the eyes and removes all make up very easily. It's very cheap and often 1/3 or 1/2 off in Superdrug. The toner and moisturiser in the same range are also good (good enough to use, but still would pick a more expensive moisturiser given the choice).

Instead of shower gel I use Johnson's Baby softwash. Creamy, gentle and luxurious and bought half price in Morrisons early Feb. A couple of pounds or less.

Tesco daily care mouthwash 59p! Pretty much same ingredients as expensive brands and does not irritate and is just fine.

AVOID:

Superdrug cotton pads - they have new packaging and the pads are thinner and not very nice to use. Boots are better quality.

YSL Touche Eclat. Bought because it's a ''wonder product'', I'm thoroughly unimpressed
  • Pootle_3
    Pootle_3 Posts: 160 Forumite
    Options
    [QUOTE=
    For skincare I love the Boots Original range - gorgeous, vintage-style packaging that looks great in the bathroom and a really fab product too. The rose water toner is lovely and about £3.50 for a huge bottle that's lasted ages.[/QUOTE]

Snipped

Is it the rosewater and glycerine? I have this, not used it yet.

Do you feel the need to moisturise afterwards?

Ta
  • littleeff
    littleeff Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wheres the cheapest place to get castor oil from please? I looked in Boots and superdrug but couldnt find it :( thnaks,
  • randm
    randm Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 March 2010 at 1:07PM
    Options
    Collection 2000 shine away compact power, will repurchase this - better than clinique powder,has no fragrance, no shiny sparkly bits, and doesn't change colour. also collection 2000 colour match foundation - though it has a funny smell!
    for skin care both my husband (sensitive skin) and i (combination skin) use superdrug fragrance free facial wash (about £1.20 though often on offer!)( I used to use eve lom cleansing cream), and Olay Complete Care Daily Sensitive uv fluid spf 15. This is a great make up base, and is usually on offer for under £4 (in sainsburys at the mo) though if you don't mind not having fragrance free there is a non sensitive one which is bigger and better value.
    We also both use Permanent hair dye Schwarzkopf Poly color tint under £2. Its the only dye i have found that actually puts some colour on white hairs (not grey),and both of us have learnt to just make up the mixture we need for the purpose, I use a third each time just for roots.
    Have to add the tecos make up blotting tissues, the best i have found, no powder on them thank goodness, just use to take off any excess oil and then apply powder, to finish.
  • freyas
    Options
    Does anyone remember a tv consumer programme doing a price comparison item,a year or two ago(sorry!) on how one of the "cheapie" supermarkets (it was either Lidl or Aldi) had an own brand Anti-ageing type face cream which was found to perform better than any of the £70 Lancome or Clarins type high end creams!?! (Apparently there were funny stories of Aldi Forecourts being swamped with ladies parking up in their Range Rovers the next day, trying to track down the cream!!) I'm not sure if it was true, or which supermarket did it...but I always meant to get some, and this "under £5 beauty forum" just reminded me of it! Can anyone help? If they still do it, I will definitely beat my way there&try it out!! Thanks
    fern37 wrote: »
    Love Clarins 'Beauty Flash Balm' but want something cheaper.....read on...

Years ago, I read a review of expensive vs cheap alternative facial products. I used to use Clarins Beauty Flash Balm but couldn't afford the price tag so I was interested to read that Superdrug did something similar but way more cheaper.

It's called NATURALHIGH RADIANCE BALM and it is approx £4. Smells gorgeous and I think it does the same job as the expensive Clarins Flash Balm.

Hope this helps someone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport