🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Great 'Fave Sub-£5 Beauty Products' Hunt?

Options

Comments

• shebrett
    shebrett Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    Emuchops wrote: »
    Thanks for that-Adzuki beans are so hard-did it take you long and did your stick blender stand up to it well? Ive just thought-Ive got an electric coffee bean grinder that I use for grinding spices-I bet that would grind them quite well. Iwill give it a try.

Sorry for the long delay...I've only just noticed that you replied to me ... am still getting used to posting :eek:

I grind my beans up using a coffee grinder which I picked up from sainsburys for around £18. Then I shake them through a sieve - the normal sized cheap wire ones from the supermarket are a perfect size. I store it in a jam jar and just mix up what I need each time in an old creme brulee pot that I keep in the bathroom cupboard.

Tip: I find that mixing it with water just before using it rather than leaving it to sit for 10 minutes gives it more "scrub" power.
  • HanSpan
    HanSpan Posts: 535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just read the whole thread and it was fascinating. Thanks! Although I've now got half an order with superdrug in a basket that I wouldn't have bought otherwise.

My recent cheapish finds:
    Eyemakeup remover - Nivea Visage Extra Gentle. Less than £2 fro Tesco or Asda (can't remember which). Its lovely - texture like water, no real smell, no stinging and its effective!
    Shampoo and Conditioner - Elvive Nitrigloss Light (I have fine greasy hair that gets horribly static and this is the only thing I've found that seems to help)

I use cleanse & polish most of the time - hardly cheap but I've not found anything else better UNTIL my awful aunt introduced me to Dr Andrew Weil for origins Mega Mushroom face cleanser. Its fab and seems to calm my face when I have spots or redness but its extortionate so I only use it very occasionally. Can anyone come up with a suitable alternative?

found the ingredients list and its frighteningly long:
    Water Aqua, Myrtus Communis Leaf Water (Myrtle), Anthemis Nobilis (Chamomile) Flower Water (Chamomile), Glycerin, Capric/Caprylic Stearic Triglyceride, Butylene Glycol, Olea Europaea Fruit Oil (Olive), Phenyltrimethicone, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil (Safflower), Hypsizygus Ulmarius Mycelium Extract, Ganoderma Lucidum Extract (Reishi Mushroom), Cordyceps Sinensis Extract (Mushroom), Zingiber Officinale Root Extract (Ginger), Ocimum Santum Leaf Extract (Holy Basil), Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract (Turmeric), Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange Peel) Oil (Orange), Lavandula Angustifolia Oi (Lavender), Pogostemon Cablin Oil (Patchouli), Citrus Nobilis (Mandarin Orange) Peel Oil (Mandarin Orange), Pelargonium Graveolens Flower Oil (Geranium), Boswellia Carterii (Frankincense) Oil (Olibanum), Limonene, Cucumber (Cucumis Sativus) Extract (Cucumber), Glycyrrhiza Glabra Root Extract (Licorice), Silybum Marianum Fruit Extract, Propylene Glycol Dicaprate, Helianthus Annuus Seedcake (Sunflower), Bisabolol, Hordeum Vulgare Extract (Barley), Sucrose Stearate, Caprylyl Glycol, Carbomer, Tromethamine, Polysorbate 20, Disodium EDTA, BHT, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol
  • Sublime_2
    Sublime_2 Posts: 15,741 Forumite
    Options
    The best value (although the not cheapest) shampoo for me is Aussie Colour Mate £3.49 approx. You only need a little, so a bottle lasts a long time. It cleans effectively, and stops colour fading. It leaves hair soft, without conditioner (my hair is thick, and quite dry at the ends).

The most effective conditioner is Aussie 3 minute miracle reconstructor deep conditioner £4.49 approx. It is very intensive, and stops my hair looking like straw. I use about once a week, so good value, as it lasts ages.
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    Options
    HanSpan wrote: »

found the ingredients list and its frighteningly long:
    Water Aqua, Myrtus Communis Leaf Water (Myrtle), Anthemis Nobilis (Chamomile) Flower Water (Chamomile), Glycerin, Capric/Caprylic Stearic Triglyceride, Butylene Glycol, Olea Europaea Fruit Oil (Olive), Phenyltrimethicone, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil (Safflower), Hypsizygus Ulmarius Mycelium Extract, Ganoderma Lucidum Extract (Reishi Mushroom), Cordyceps Sinensis Extract (Mushroom), Zingiber Officinale Root Extract (Ginger), Ocimum Santum Leaf Extract (Holy Basil), Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract (Turmeric), Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange Peel) Oil (Orange), Lavandula Angustifolia Oi (Lavender), Pogostemon Cablin Oil (Patchouli), Citrus Nobilis (Mandarin Orange) Peel Oil (Mandarin Orange), Pelargonium Graveolens Flower Oil (Geranium), Boswellia Carterii (Frankincense) Oil (Olibanum), Limonene, Cucumber (Cucumis Sativus) Extract (Cucumber), Glycyrrhiza Glabra Root Extract (Licorice), Silybum Marianum Fruit Extract, Propylene Glycol Dicaprate, Helianthus Annuus Seedcake (Sunflower), Bisabolol, Hordeum Vulgare Extract (Barley), Sucrose Stearate, Caprylyl Glycol, Carbomer, Tromethamine, Polysorbate 20, Disodium EDTA, BHT, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol

It's not too bad actually, it's long because it contains lots of plants extracts. I am not familiar with all the ingredients, the ones at the end are the ones I would check out, but it does not have the ones I normally look out for.
  • gorgirl
    gorgirl Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone tried the Natural High products from Superdrug?

I've already tried their radiance balm after reading this thread, but they're having a promotion of "Buy 2 for £5" at the momentt and I was considering buying the night cream and face cream.
  • IlonaRN
    IlonaRN Posts: 1,029 Forumite
    Options
    For those using Adzuki beans as a cleanser - where do you buy them from, please?
  • HanSpan
    HanSpan Posts: 535 Forumite
    Options
    It's not too bad actually, it's long because it contains lots of plants extracts. I am not familiar with all the ingredients, the ones at the end are the ones I would check out, but it does not have the ones I normally look out for.

To be honest I only avoid the SLS type stuff. I was hoping someone good with ingredients could suggest something similar at less than the £26 a tube the mega mushroom stuff is! Any suggestions?
  • mystra
    mystra Posts: 295 Forumite
    Options
    i've been on a beauty clear out! Bought lots fo products from the body shop thinking it would help my spots... well 3 months on they're just getting worse and my skin's feeling awful!! (the hot weather doesn't help with all the sweatiness - nice!)

My routine was cleaning with the Tea Tree Black head exfoliating scrub, around £5, the 'scrubbers' are crushed apricot stones. Well the scrubbers were massive and few, just feeling like odd bits of scraping instead of a fine scrub. after 2-3 months of using my skin was just getting worse. it may work for you but not me :(

Was also using the seaweed pore refiner (about £9 ) worked for a bit ... long enough for me to get another bottle while i still had vouchers for money off. but i've just chucked half the 2nd bottle away now, pores are worse than ever!

Also had the seaweed day cream moisturizer about a tenner i think, felt very 'cloggy' and for at night the Blemish Fade Night Lotion (another tea tree one) urrghhh that was awful!! Really cloggy, not such a problem i guess as you just wear it to bed so to speak, but it did nothing for me!!

So now i've slung most of it, well used up the face wash but the rest has gone in the bin. To make up for the money wasting i went on a bargain hunt...

This took me to Holland and Barratt...a bar of tea tree soap was about £1.50 so i thought i'd give that a whirl and got a big tube of Aloe Vera gel (99.9%) with tea tree extract for £4.99. They have that offer off buy get the other thing half price so the soap didn't even cost a quid! Then i mosied over to Superdrug and got a facial exfoliating sponge.

I'd had suncream on my face all weekend and had a horrible breakout, so last night had a good scrub with the tea tree soap, then slapped loooooads of the aloe vera and tea tree gel on my face and went to bed... this morning my face has really calmed down and feels wonderful!!! I don't use the gel in the day as it takes ages to soak in (and it was brill on a little patch of sunburn btw) but my skin is greasy anyway... maybe i just don't really need moisturizer.

Can anyone reccomend any good eye products, obv the cheapie way to make your eyes feel nice is tea bags but i could do with something quick that i can just put on then carry on and go work etc... i get horrendous dark circles and bags! I bought that caffeine eye roll on l'oreal.... rubbish!!what a waste of 9 quid :(
  • shebrett
    shebrett Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    IlonaRN wrote: »
    For those using Adzuki beans as a cleanser - where do you buy them from, please?

Hi IlonaRN - You can buy them in the dried beans section of most supermarkets. I bought my last pack in Waitrose, 500g for 99p and they lasted me for 2 months using it every day. Have also found them in sainsburys and tescos. Some people will claim you need organic beans but I find that the regular beans are no different to organic.
  • lizimuffin
    lizimuffin Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    Nivea Soft......I suffer from mega dry skin on my face, my legs and arms. E45 doesn't work on my legs and arms, I find it gets rid of my dry skin on my face, but leaves it looking really shiny, whereas the Nivea gets rid of it and doesn't leave my face shiny. It also leaves my arms and legs lovely and soft, all that for for £3.99! Fantastic!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport