CAT FLEAS - merged

Options

Comments

• orlao
    orlao Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    I used to have a cat that had a severe allergy to fleas, the only thing that worked for her was preds tablets (steroids) plus frontline SPRAY, I found the drops were useless.
    I got really good at treating her as soon as the itching started so she needed less tablets as it broke the itch-scratch cycle quicker because steroids are not ideal long term, but the poor cat scratching herself raw wasn't an option either so, to me the long term risk was worth it!

My vet told me that you get more sensitive to whatever you are allergic to everytime you react ( hope that makes sense!) so IMO it is important to get on top of the problem now and then work to prevent it in future IYSWIM

Garlic in large enough amounts to repel fleas would be a problem, I think but have you asked your vets about tea tree oil? See what they think? I wouldn't imagine that it would hurt him but your house might get a bit messy;) if you had a "greasy" cat.

My cat came to me as an ex feral with her allergy and I had her 13 years and for at least 10 of those her allergy was no problem with a bit of organisation and work:D

HTH

O x
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello all

My kitty Dylan has scratched a great big wound into the back of his neck. I have to admit it's all my fault as I didn't keep his claws short, though they are pretty damn short now:rotfl:. My question is what can I use to cleanse the wound with, and where can I get it?

Thanks.

Snowy
  • KentishLady
    KentishLady Posts: 293 Forumite
    Options
    If the wound is clean and not infected, then I use warm salt water on my cats - I bathe 2 or three times per day.

However I would be concerned why he is scratching in the first place? fleas? collar too tight? Might be worth a visit to the vet to rule out any other problems.

My two can't wear collars any more because they chafe on their necks (doesn't matter how loose or what the material is made of!).
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I think you need to have a vet visit to find out why he's scratching to start with. Since my cats were tiny kittens I haven't had to trim their claws and I wouldn't expect most cats would need it either.
    Have you recently treated with flea drops in that area and he might be allergic? It could be so many different things like skin mites, allergies or even a wound from a fight that has been bothering him. A course of anti biotics would be a first stop for me :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Deep_In_Debt Posts: 8,579 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Warm salt water also worked with one of my cats.

As MrsTine says - you really need to seek advice from a vet. One of my cats had a similar thing - turned out she'd been fighting and her would had gone septic. She's perfectly alright now after a course of antibiotics.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My friends cat kept scratching off to the vet they went, the vet couldnt work out what was wrong first, he shaved a small area of the neck and found puncher marks from a fight, and out popped a tooth from the small hole, this was causing the cat to scratch.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • SnowyOwl_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for your replies everyone - the salted water is my chosen treatment.

I am 100% certain Dylan does not have fleas - I inspect him regularly, and as he's a white cat with a small amount of black fleas would be easy to spot.

As for him having been in a fight, this is impossible - he is an indoor cat and lives peacefully with the other two.

And I'm not taking him to the vet. He had an itch so he scratched it, his long claws broke the skin. He doesn't spend his time scratching, there is nothing wrong with him.

Does everyone really take their cat to the vet every time s/he has a scratch??:confused:
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SnowyOwl wrote: »
    He doesn't spend his time scratching, there is nothing wrong with him.

Does everyone really take their cat to the vet every time s/he has a scratch??:confused:

Absolutely, 100% YES !

If my cat had an open wound in her neck then she'd be straight in the box and down to the vet, no questions asked.
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    As for him having been in a fight, this is impossible - he is an indoor cat and lives peacefully with the other two.

And I'm not taking him to the vet. He had an itch so he scratched it, his long claws broke the skin. He doesn't spend his time scratching, there is nothing wrong with him.

It only takes one cat to have a bad day or play to go wrong - and wounds from cats (teeth OR claws) are renowned for getting infected.

If he's an indoor cat and has long claws then he's not scratching enough - make sure you have scratching posts that actually wear down the claws like wooden ones. Don't bother with the cheap stuff - they don't wear down the claws enough!

It's your choice on whether or not you take him to the vet - you asked our advice and we gave it :)

Do I take my cats to the vet every time they itch? Nope - everytime they have an open wound however yes I do!
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • SnowyOwl_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello all

My kitty Dylan has scratched a great big wound into the back of his neck. I have to admit it's all my fault as I didn't keep his claws short, though they are pretty damn short now:rotfl:. My question is what can I use to cleanse the wound with, and where can I get it?

Thanks.

Snowy

What I wanted advice on is indicated in red above so that you can't miss it. I have taken the helpful advice and used it and am grateful for it.

I would like to add that at this point NO THANKS for any more patronising opinions or speculation on why my cat had an itch and how my cat managed to break the skin on the back of his neck. Nor do I want any more advice to take my cat to the vet. I explained what happened, I am here with my cats and have first hand knowledge and understanding of the situation. Please be assured that I am not negligent, nor stupid, nor cruel, nor a liar, nor naive. Of course I provide proper scratching posts and everything else necessary for my cats' physical and mental health, welfare, nutrition etc etc etc including appropriate veterinary care when circumstances so require.

Please can we leave it at this now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport