CAT FLEAS - merged

Options

Comments

• Ladygrim
    Ladygrim Posts: 739 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    I personally cant see the point of putting very toxic poisons on your pet "just in case".

If you don't have fleas and your cat don't go out then no need to treat every month. Just groom you cat regularly and keep an eye, if he does get fleas - then treat. As long as you treat the house at the same time fleas are easy enough to deal with

I agree. If the cat gets fleas then treat him then.

Also, if you're planning on cleaning the carpets, put dog flea shampoo into the machine and get into all the corners. The fleas then have nowhere to hide!

LG
    working hard at this thing called life
  • nealallen
    nealallen Posts: 2,605 Forumite
    Options
    Even though he is a lone cat and doesn't go outside, I would say treat him. He doesn't need to go outdoors to find fleas, they will find him.
    Please do not feed the Trolls!
  • Running_Horse
    Running_Horse Posts: 11,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just remember, the cat does not have fleas so much as his environment has them. If they do show up, no point treating one and not the other.
    Been away for a while.
  • redcherry_girl
    Options
    Hi,

I need help. I live in a shared house and my housemate has a cat. This cat brought fleas into the house several weeks ago. I didn't get bitten until a few days ago. It turns out my housemate was aware of the problem but didn't tell me. I now have nearly a dozen flea bites and I'm sick of the little blighters. Does anyone know how I can get these fleas to s*d off? My housemate has de-flead the living room... although I may now be re-fleaing it. (I'm moving in three days time) What do I need to do to get rid of them? Just wash all my clothes? Or do I need to do more...? Is there something I can eat that'll put them off (like marmite for midges)? (I'm sleeping at my b/fs at the moment and he doesn't appear to have any bites so we think I've not spread it to his house yet) Thanks very much in advance, you don't know how much I'll appreciate it,

redcherrygirl
  • charlies_mum
    Options
    Hi,

You have my sympathy, I always know when my cat has fleas as they bite me to bits :mad:

Just de-fleaing the one room might not be enough, she will need to treat every room that the cat has access to. You also need to make sure you spray around the edges of the carpet, the furniture and curtains. The cat will also need treating with some flea killer. If there are any other pets, they will also need treating.

The fleas don't live on you, just hop on for a meal and then hop off again, so it's unlikely that you will have taken them to your bfs place.

Don't know of anything you can eat to deter them, but try putting tee tree oil on the bites to stop them itching.

HTH
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • cheerfulness4
    Options
    We use frontline from petmeds.co.uk . It was about £10 for 3 vials. You just pop it behind their neck. My vet recommended it to me and I've used it every since. You need to let the cat go into all the rooms but it clears it up within two days in my experience.

Sympathise with you as we've just had to same problem last week but all clear now. :)
  • redcherry_girl
    Options
    The cat is on frontline. :( That's what we don't understand. He still brought them in. And I don't understand why the little so and so's like me so much. :( Apparently no one else in the house is having problems with bites.
  • redcherry_girl
    Options
    I'm borrowing the toxic flea spray from my housemate simply because I really can't be bothered with trying to work out what'll kill them in a more natural way. I want rid of them asap as I'm moving house and don't want to take them with me. I'm still itching like crazy. Might leave my coat in the room whilst the spray is working. Then that should kill any in the coat. I washed the clothes I was wearing before bed last night so I don't understand where they're coming from. Unless I'm just finding bites from yesterday and the day before.

(*Paranoid scratchings*)
  • Whitefiver
    Options
    Assuming that killing the cat is not an option - might be worth trying one of these. They do help to reduce the itch in my experience, but your mileage might vary.

Regards,

White.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family