PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

fleas, fleas and more fleas....

Options
please help. cat is normally frontlined regularly, but i forgot as was away - [he had catsitter, before you all call the rspca!].

so now we are infested. cat has been covered in flea spray and thrown into the cold. house still jumping.

don't really want to use flea bombs, been hoovering with dyson regularly, and using flea powder, but it stinks. have toddler and asthmatic in house. what else can i do.

surely something involving vinegar????????

thanks

:j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j
[this is what the fleas are doing]

Comments

• molesworth
    Options
    Been in this situation myself. We tried various remedies. The only thing that worked was going to the vet and doing what he recommended. Sadly this meant using chemicals but it was quick. Good luck
  • southernscouser
    Options
    Why are you against the bombs? You have to vacate the house anyway so the kids shouldn't be affected. Just give the place a good few hours airing before going back in.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    There are a few threads from the In My Home board icon7.gif

The spray is very effective and lasts for several months.

edited to take out the search link that is no longer working icon11.gif
  • the_devil_made_me_do_it
    Options
    Best bet, telephone your local council and explain the situation. They used to come out and spray your home for free, maybe a small charge now, not sure. It's well worth it tho'. They request you do not hoover your home for as long as you can bear after the council visit. It even kills the fleas on the cat (without using any pesticide on the cat, just the cat rolling around on the carpet is enough). They only spray round the edges of the rooms, but their water based pesticide is strong enough to kill all known fleas dead. I defo recommend telephoning the council, even if they charge you, it's well worth it.
  • sooz
    sooz Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    Options
    Why are you against the bombs? You have to vacate the house anyway so the kids shouldn't be affected. Just give the place a good few hours airing before going back in.

i'm peace loving. :rolleyes: ........... and have asthmatics in the house. even if we go out and air after, it still sets the asthma off.
  • the_devil_made_me_do_it
    Options
    Because it's a water based spray the council use, it dosen't affect asthmatics. They use a big pump dispenser to spray your home with, so no horrible fumes or cfcs. They don't need to spray furniture or bedding which is good. I'd defo give them a call a.s.a.p Any sprays from the vets or local petshops have nothing on the council pesticide. They regularly have to de-flea empty properties, so it has to be effective.
  • tootles_2
    tootles_2 Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Options
    Fleas need to feed in order to multiply, I do not know if this will help, but if you stop them biting they will die....... I made up a mixture, use an unscented lotion , measure out 100mls and put into it 10 DROPS of Rosemary oil and 5 DROPS of orange peel oil, rub this lotion into the skin around the ankles and legs, which is usually where fleas bite, rub the lotion on everyone, (but do not use the rosemary if you are pregnant) fleas do not like the smell of rosemary and citrus......... its worth a try, I came home from a friends house with a visitor, I used this for two or three nights and no more bites......... the rosemary is very strong smelling but not unpleasant... I am not too sure about using the lotion on a baby, you could do some research on the internet........

Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

Total so far £14.00!!
  • sooz
    sooz Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for all the replies.

will phone council, and try rubbing oil into my ankles

very sad no replies involving vinegar. i have loads.................
  • fcuk_2
    fcuk_2 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    We've had cats for years and years never had a problem with fleas :j YET! ;-)
    I'm becoming "tight" since finding this site!
  • foreverskint
    Options
    deffo go for the pest man. It works and is worth the money, gets rid of any hatching eggs for months after.......................

Off for a quick scratch now lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport