PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

fleas, fleas and more fleas....

Options

Comments

• Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, spraying the house with Acclaim will rid you of the fleas for up to 12mths. They actually live in the carpets/furnishings etc and not actually on the dog, so whilst you thought they were gone after treating him with the Advantage, they were just lurking around until such time as the Advantage stopped offering him protection against the bites again ;)

Spray the house ... give him another dose ... and you should be flea free very quickly! :D
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    he keeps scratching his ears too
    That could be mites in his ears or some other ear problem, you can buy things for that too, I don't know what though. It needs checking as a seperate issue though.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks Fran, I meant to include a comment about that in my reply but forgot by the time I'd typed about the fleas :doh:

Memory of a goldfish ... or should that be flea ... these days :o
    ~

• make_life_easier
    Options
    Thanks Curry Queen will buy some Acclaim right now (from the website mentioned above) it's well worth the money to get rid of the fleas.

Fran I never thought about him having an ear problem, was too concerned with the flea battle. I will get some advice as going to the vet cost a fortune before we even walk through the door and although he is the friendlest dog you could ever meet he hates the vet , we have to muzzle him and it is very stressfull for him, (we got him from the rspca 7 years ago and I think he went through a bit of a bad time with previous owners as he was quite timid, that's not normal for a Labrador.) but I will look into that now.

Thanks Andrea
    became debt free December 06
  • Fran
    Options
    Thanks Fran, I meant to include a comment about that in my reply but forgot by the time I'd typed about the fleas :doh:

Memory of a goldfish ... or should that be flea ... these days :o
    Ahhh... but goldfish now have a memory of up to 3 months it says here, don't know about fleas though, so now what's your excuse? Memory of a human? :rotfl:
  • Fran
    Options
    Thanks Curry Queen will buy some Acclaim right now (from the website mentioned above) it's well worth the money to get rid of the fleas.

Fran I never thought about him having an ear problem, was too concerned with the flea battle.
    I've got a flea battle too, so looking on here for ideas. The ear treatment was Johnsons which "kills ear mites, soothes irritation & softens wax" which I just got at the local pet place and does the job, but if he seems in pain he might have an infection so you might need to see the vet. Good luck!
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fran wrote:
    Ahhh... but goldfish now have a memory of up to 3 months it says here, don't know about fleas though, so now what's your excuse? Memory of a human? :rotfl:

:rotfl:

Yeah, it's true actually that goldfish do have a much longer memory span than most people think, but it's an old cliche we still like to use ;)

I think my problem is probably senile dementia setting in ;) :rotfl:
    ~

• make_life_easier
    Options
    The ear treatment was Johnsons which "kills ear mites, soothes irritation & softens wax"

Thanks Fran, I don't think it is an infection as such maybe like your dog so the johnsons ear treatment should do the job,. :T

I have been looking on the webside on which I can purchase the Acclaim flea spray from and they sell Leo's ear cleaner have you heard of that one?? It does the same as the johnson's ear cleaner from what I can gather? ;)
    became debt free December 06
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fran I never thought about him having an ear problem, was too concerned with the flea battle. I will get some advice as going to the vet cost a fortune before we even walk through the door and although he is the friendlest dog you could ever meet he hates the vet , we have to muzzle him and it is very stressfull for him, (we got him from the rspca 7 years ago and I think he went through a bit of a bad time with previous owners as he was quite timid, that's not normal for a Labrador.) but I will look into that now.

Thanks Andrea

I know you're worried about the cost of a vet visit but to be honest with something like an ear problem it really is best to get a vet to have a look at it. They can tell you immediately if it's a mite problem, and if there's any sign of infection it will also need antibiotic treatment.

Without a proper diagnosis you could end up spending a fortune on "pet shop" remedies whilst the condition worsens, which may then need an operation to rectify with the risk of your dog losing his hearing, in a worse case scenario. Some breeds of dogs have inherent ear problems anyway, so I really would advise you to see a vet and have your dog checked out properly.

If you have a local PDSA clinic it might be worth checking to see if you qualify for treatment from them ;)
    ~

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    ...... I never thought about him having an ear problem, was too concerned with the flea battle. I will get some advice as going to the vet cost a fortune before we even walk through the door and although he is the friendlest dog you could ever meet he hates the vet ...

If it might be mites in his ears, I would recommend braving a visit to the vet; if it goes untreated it can lead to deafness. The drops are POM (Prescription Only Medicine).

Edited to add: apologies CQ - X-posting
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts