🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

'No More Buying Books Until I've Read the Ones I've Already Bought' Thread

Options

Comments

• niccatw
    niccatw Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I read MSK last year on hols, cried all the way through, had to hide my red eyes behind enormous sunglasses on the beach and OH was getting annoyed at me because other people would think he'd made me cry!

I was the same when I was reading "Marley and Me" in the park! I finished just as folks were coming round to mine for birthday pizza and drinks too - they thought I was freaking out about my age.:rotfl::rotfl:

Took a "History of Insects" and "The Boy in Stiped Pyjamas" down to my friend's at the weekend - mooched on her behalf as she'd ran out of available mooches. Forgot to bring back my signed copy of "House of the Spirits" though. I want that one back. I'd like to read it again; it's been ages!

Need to get back into reading though. Recently been distractedby a fair few DFW diaries. A published collection of them would be good :)
    Jan10: 28,315.81 Jan11: 18,015.32 Jan12: 7,682.58 Jan13: 2,987.73 Current debt: 1,225.55
    HFC [STRIKE]1896.10. [/STRIKE] 225.55 SLC2 [STRIKE]5123.34[/STRIKE] 0 Others [STRIKE]2085[/STRIKE] 1000 Bcard [STRIKE]1172.60[/STRIKE] 0

Mike's Mob
  • Darkphaery
    Options
    Hi everyone, i hope i'm not too late to join. I've been 'not' buying books since the new year, i set myself the challenge of going a whole year without buying books...although i do have a few exceptions, i am allowed to accept and give them as gifts, i am allowed to use birthday money to buy books and i live quite near one of Europe's largest 2nd hand book shops which operates a bartering system so when i have a bag ful i take them there and get 'credit' on my account...so technically it's not buying. These are my rules and so far (52 days in) all is going well :)
  • terryw
    terryw Posts: 4,396 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 22 February 2010 at 9:35PM
    Options
    What a great thread! Thank you Ms Pickles.

May I may be a PITA and intrude upon the thread with a little quiz that I have devised for my chums at the local Literary and Philosophical Debating Society (aka my local)?

It is just a bit of fun and no answers will be given as you can get these from Google. But as we are all books fans, I hope that you enjoy it. Here we go:

. A Literary Quiz

Name the book(s) in which the following characters
    appear. Most of them are are the main character/hero.
    Many, but not all, of the books are classics. There are no "girlie"
    books. Any novel by Barbara Cartland is not an answer.

1. Jonathan Harker

2. Philip Pirrip

3. Ishmael

4. Endeavour ?

5. Leopold Bloom

6. Atticus Finch

7. Holden Caulfield

8. Piggy

9. Winston Smith

10. Jim Hawkins

11. Andy Dufresne

12. Laura Timmins

13. Richard Dadier

14. Steve Carella

15. Richard Hannay

16. Inspector Alan Grant

17. Guy Montag

18. Bill Masen

19. Phileas Fogg

20. JACK REACHER

grading Scheme:

0 -4 Are you really a reader?

5 - 9 Yes, your time has not been wasted.

10 - 14 Very canny, as we say in God's Own Country

15- 18 Very, very good

19 - 20 Distinction - will you marry me? We have loads in common.

If you know the right answer to No. 16, then you have read one of the finest books on both detection and history. If you have got the answer wrong, then check it out - you are in for a real treat!
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
  • Darkphaery
    Options
    1. Jonathan Harker BRAM STOKERS DRACULA

2. Philip Pirrip GREAT EXPECTATIONS

3. Ishmael

4. Endeavour ? MORSE

5. Leopold Bloom ULYSSES

6. Atticus Finch TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD

7. Holden Caulfield CATHER IN THE RYE

8. Piggy LORD OF THE FLIES

9. Winston Smith 1984

10. Jim Hawkins TREASURE ISLAND

11. Andy Dufresne SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION

12. Laura Timmins

13. Richard Dadier

14. Steve Carella 87TH PRECINCT

15. Richard Hannay

16. Inspector Alan Grant

17. Guy Montag FARENHEIT 451

18. Bill Masen DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS

19. Phileas Fogg AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS

20. JACK REACHER LEE CHILD'S BOOKS

Well i got some, stuck on the others though :)
  • niccatw
    niccatw Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Darkphaery wrote: »
    1. Jonathan Harker BRAM STOKERS DRACULA

2. Philip Pirrip GREAT EXPECTATIONS

3. Ishmael Moby !!!!!!

4. Endeavour ? MORSE

5. Leopold Bloom ULYSSES

6. Atticus Finch TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD

7. Holden Caulfield CATHER IN THE RYE

8. Piggy LORD OF THE FLIES

9. Winston Smith 1984

10. Jim Hawkins TREASURE ISLAND

11. Andy Dufresne SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION

12. Laura Timmins

13. Richard Dadier Blackboard Jungle?

14. Steve Carella 87TH PRECINCT

15. Richard Hannay I think this is a John Buchan novel but I can't think of the title.

16. Inspector Alan Grant Is he not in a series of dectective novels? Again, can't think of the name.

17. Guy Montag FARENHEIT 451

18. Bill Masen DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS

19. Phileas Fogg AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS

20. JACK REACHER LEE CHILD'S BOOKS

Well i got some, stuck on the others though :)

Well done Darkphaery!
    Jan10: 28,315.81 Jan11: 18,015.32 Jan12: 7,682.58 Jan13: 2,987.73 Current debt: 1,225.55
    HFC [STRIKE]1896.10. [/STRIKE] 225.55 SLC2 [STRIKE]5123.34[/STRIKE] 0 Others [STRIKE]2085[/STRIKE] 1000 Bcard [STRIKE]1172.60[/STRIKE] 0

Mike's Mob
  • charlies_mum
    Options
    15. Richard Hannay I think this is a John Buchan novel but I can't think of the title

Think it's the 39 Steps
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • Tete_en_l'Air
    Options
    Oh no I only got four and one of those was wrong! :D Maybe I DO need to buy more books after all hehe!
    Weightloss: 14.5/65lb
  • carlislelass
    Options
    15. Richard Hannay I think this is a John Buchan novel but I can't think of the title

Think it's the 39 Steps

definetly 39 steps
  • mumma_ib
    Options
    Hi, Fabulous, it's great that so many people are like me. I just love the spiritual, self help, any kind of 'organise your life' kinda thing. Just today I cleared out my daughter's room (she's left me) and found a whole load more so I thought Ill clear space on the book shelf, get rid of the pictures and c**p on the shelves and put all the book nicely in line, but after reading some of the replies I think I'm going to share them. I'm a weight watcher leader (albiet a new one) and we support the BHF so will take my books to the meeting and people can put the money in the tin for BHF that we have. Thanks for giving me the idea.
    Vanquis card -£915.45
    Virgin - £2,258.24
  • Tete_en_l'Air
    Options
    OK, I've been through and counted all my non-reference books and there are 182 on my shelves in total, 88 read and 94 to read. There are a further 30 or so under the stairs waiting to be swapped on RiSi so with any luck there will be more unread books coming into the house :o Off to make a start on The Subtle Knife...
    Weightloss: 14.5/65lb
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport