'No More Buying Books Until I've Read the Ones I've Already Bought' Thread

Options

Comments

• Tete_en_l'Air
    Options
    niccatw wrote: »
    http://www.barterbooks.co.uk/

Is it this one? If so, I'm sooooooooo jealous!!!! But then, I'd probably never manage this challenge :D (even with the bartering!) I imagine it's a real-life version of Blackbooks :p

Oooh this is near me (ish, I was expection London!), Might have to make a trip to Alnwick one of these days, but I'll have to keep my motives secret from OH else he won't go! Does anyone else have a non-book-loving OH? Mine does not enjoy reading at all and says 'it's a mug's game'! :eek:
    Hope you enjoy "The Subtle Knife" Tete en l'Air (love your name, btw). I preferred that to the first one and the third one was even better - happy reading!
    ... now engrossed in Barack Obama's book ...

Thanks :D, glad to hear they get better and better too. Ugh if there's one type of book I don't enjoy it's auto/biographies, I find them so boring! With the exception of Boy by Roald Dahl :D

Didn't start on my book last night after all, ended up faffing til past midnight - this is what I want to stop, spending time faffing when I could be doing something productive or relaxing with a book!

Just done a swap on RiSi too, Coastliners by Joanne Harris (I loved Chocolat so my then-boyfriend bought me all her books, but I don't like the others, this one's unread) for Left Bank by Kate Muir, I'm a bit of a Francophile.
    Weightloss: 14.5/65lb
  • poddle911
    poddle911 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    lilian1977 wrote: »
    Just finished The Solitude of Prime Numbers - it fell down a little in the middle but redeemed itself by the end. Wonderful. Can't wait to see what else Giordano does.

Probably going to start Two Caravans by Marina Lewycka today. I loved A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian so hope it's as good!

The Solitude of Prime Numbers is on my list to read (from the library of course...), I've been looking forward to it for ages.

I'm currently reading A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz for my book club. Really enjoying it so far, but it's about 700 pages (hardback) and I've got to average 95 pages a day if I'm going to finish it in time. Oops!

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on Two Caravans, Lilian; unusually for me I didn't even want to finish it (so I didn't)

Nice quiz Terry! I got a decent enough score, primarily thanks to an American lit degree and a weakness for Jack Reacher... :)
    LBM Sep 2008 debt: £27,927.04
    start weight: 140.2, week 2: 138
  • Tete_en_l'Air
    Options
    I loved A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian so hope it's as good!

So did I, but that reminds me I didn't see it on my shelves last night... where has it gone?!
  • feedumall
    Options
    i have just started thorn so far it's looking good ,have sold four books this week :jbought eight:o but im sure the tbr pile will slowly decrease as for caravan didn't finish it either .my daughter reads to the end no matter what i will abandon a book if it is just to bad .liar stephen fry i hated and could not read ,but if a book catches my intrest will read it in a day
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just done a swap on RiSi too, Coastliners by Joanne Harris (I loved Chocolat so my then-boyfriend bought me all her books, but I don't like the others, this one's unread) for Left Bank by Kate Muir, I'm a bit of a Francophile.

Oh I loved Coastliners, I think it's my favourite of her books.
    poddle wrote:
    I'm currently reading A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz for my book club. Really enjoying it so far, but it's about 700 pages (hardback) and I've got to average 95 pages a day if I'm going to finish it in time. Oops!

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on Two Caravans, Lilian; unusually for me I didn't even want to finish it (so I didn't)

My OH has just finished A Fraction of the Whole and really enjoyed it too so I think I might read that next - will let you know what I thought about Two Caravans. I was the same with A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon as I loved A Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, just couldn't get into it.

Has anyone else read The Colour of a Dog Running Away by Richard Gwym? It's great, I might read it again soon.
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £2827 | Natwest Credit Card: £3362.96
  • Tete_en_l'Air
    Options
    I was the same with A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon as I loved A Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, just couldn't get into it.

Funny you should say that, I love Curious Incident too, so put A Spot of Bother on my RiSi wishlist, but have noticed that I get an email every single day to say someone has uploaded it for swapping so I'm thinking perhaps it's not very good!
  • niccatw
    niccatw Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Probably going to start Two Caravans by Marina Lewycka today. I loved A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian so hope it's as good!
    poddle911 wrote: »

Though it started promisingly! But I agree. Let us know what you think Lilian.
    I was the same with A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon as I loved A Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, just couldn't get into it.

I also agree with this one. Isn't it hugely disappointing when subsequent books by an author just don't live up to your expectations! (The last Harry Potter for instance, especially the epilogue!)
    Jan10: 28,315.81 Jan11: 18,015.32 Jan12: 7,682.58 Jan13: 2,987.73 Current debt: 1,225.55
    HFC [STRIKE]1896.10. [/STRIKE] 225.55 SLC2 [STRIKE]5123.34[/STRIKE] 0 Others [STRIKE]2085[/STRIKE] 1000 Bcard [STRIKE]1172.60[/STRIKE] 0

Mike's Mob
  • jintyb
    jintyb Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    terryw
    For the benefit of younger readers of this thread, GCSE was an examination where you had to know all the content and and do it without any help from parents or the internet. Quite an antiquated concept really

Yes! I remember those days - was that when we were encouraged to think for ourselves? :rotfl:

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • Darkphaery
    Options
    InaPickle wrote: »
    That bookshop sounds ace: where is it and what is it called?

Hi Pickle

It's called Barter Books and it's in Alnwick Northumberland, it's in an old train station so it is huge and has books on every subject imaginable, it really is fab, my favourite place to spend an afternoon :)
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    i remember GCSEs as well;). but i wont say how i performed in them.

on the home straights of my current read im debating wether to take my knitting or reading out with me tonight
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback