Report Bank Charges successes and failures

Comments

• Fair point. however i closed the account when i knew i was starting a claim as i think the bank would close my account anyway when the claiming process began.
    yes i think the bank treated me unfairly, in several ways at the start, during and the end. useless phone calls to useless operators in several different call centres. stupid replies to letters never acknowledging my claim as such and totally ignoring any letter not sent recorded.
    as for the FOS. no thanks. no point. no hope.
    i have put it down to experience, drawn a line. moved on. greedy selfish unaccountable bankers welcome to it. sure they all sleep well at night
  • Bank: Nat West
    Amt claimed: £40
    Refunded: £40

Accidental overcharge for amt below £10 incurred cumulative fee of £40. Wrote once asking for mercy, was rejected; found Martin's tips and made use of them - presto, refunded as a gesture of goodwill!

Thank you Martin! £40 is A LOT of money for me as a student.
  • Hi all
    I am in a state of absolute shock. I submitted a claim for bank charges due to hardship in May 2009. After sending in completed forms and all bank statements I heard nothing from Nat West. When the test case went the wrong way in November I expected the worst. In late January I received two letters from Nat West telling me to politely to 'get lost'. Shock, horror, a letter arrived on Monday 1st March, as a good will gesture and in view of my 'financial circumstances' they will refund the full amount of £3562 and would I accept the offer which is open for 60days. I'll let you guess my reaction. Amazed. To everyone out there in financial difficulties keep plugging away:j:j:j:j:j:jthis was me on Monday!
  • Worry
    Worry Posts: 36 Forumite
    Ive had my reply from Nationwide, same as couple of others on here, failure! they have said it is not there intention to appear unsympathetic or make things more difficult, however when reviewing cases of financial hardship they look for a change in circumstances that impacats the account or reduction in income, however the charges i have incurred are due to over comminiting myself financially therefore, they are unable to agree that a change in circumstances has causes charges incurred. They have changed my monthly overdraft reduction from £60 to £40. like another member on here has said, receving over £500 worth of charges a year clases as financial hardship, is this right??? should i go to the ombudsman? i supplied income and expenditure and a 2 page letter explaining circumstances and difficulties. charges are over £2,000. overdrafts are £1,950. explained how charges ontop of charges are causing me the problems. ... please help, starting to give up.
  • chrisharri
    chrisharri Posts: 91 Forumite
    Natwest reclaim Failure.
    My OH has tried to reclaim bank charges from Natwest, using the old arguement, the new one and a few of his own. He isn't in financial hardship and is a private banker at Natwest so thought he might have got preferential treatment- No!
    A letter came yetsterday saing that he can now contact the financial ombudsman service, and that natwest will enter into no further correspondence with him over this matter.
  • gjs1701
    gjs1701 Posts: 163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I've just had a moderately succesful result with Nationwide.

Over several years 2003-2008, I was working part-time due to illness, and was receiving working tax credit, with a disabilty add-on. I wasn't in great hardship, but money was tight. And a few times I didn't have enough money to get to the end of the month. Result: bounced DD and a £30 charge. Nationwide don't pay the DD and charge you, they bounce it and charge you for doing absolutely nothing.

Now in one particular instance, it being Christmas, I came to bounce 5 debits - for £150 in charges. What was even more irksome, I had paid in some Christmas gift cheques into my account, but they hadn't cleared because of the New Year bank holiday.

I reclaimed during the court case, claiming hardship. My total was £300 plus interest, fairly small compared to some claims I've read about on here. But was turned down for hardship, and when the court case ended got a standard letter.

I continued my claim using a new template letter, mentioning hardship and the 5 charges in one month.

I got a letter this morning, telling me they would refund one £30 charge as a gesture of good will. They won't be refunding any other charges, as they were a result of my failing to manage my account properly, rather than 'genuine hardship'.

So £30 from £300 of charges, a small success.
  • The ombudsman rejected my claim despite abbey taking over £4000 from my account in the last FOUR years. :mad:
  • I first claimed refund of £1400 bank charges from Barclays in Feb 2008.......last year when , amazingly , the banks won , Barclays contacted me to tell me they were not obliged to repay me anything....& so they didn't......earlier this year I used Martins new template letter , ( not the hardship one ) , and I have just recvd Final Response letter from Barclays saying that didn't work either , ( surprise , surprise ) , ....they enclosed leaflet for FOS....I tel'd FOS to claim repayment under financial hardship rules & they took some details from me , ( surprisingly few ) , & they said they would contact Barclays & I am to wait & see.....so that's where I am at present.... I hope to be contacted within 8 weeks by Barclays with an offer of settlement.....or maybe not....BUT , I will keep trying.....thank you Martin & colleagues for everything you have done & are doing......
  • We applied for bank charges refund in 2007, have taken court proceedings which were suspended because of the test case that was finally lost. Then we were told by the bank to pay up. We then wrote to the banking ombudsman which found in favour of the banks (due to the test case again). Then the bank have just written to us after numerous letters from us to say we have to pay up within 14 days or get the bad credit people around to assess our belongings etc. And to top it all we would be on the bad creditors list. All for £1,627.81. If this happens, our children will not be able to get a student loan with us as guarantors. So I guess it's the whole of the family who will pay with their careers as well as the money to the bank.
  • chants1981 wrote: »
    :mad: B4 the Supreme court ruling i had sent numerous claims to Lloyds and was put on hold. I then put a calim in for hardship and heard nothing.

I followed Martins new approach. i sent a hardship claim in again 4th feb 2010 for £7858.52 including interest. Low and behold 8th Feb Lloyds sent me a letter saying they would look into my concerns and will let me know the outcome within 4 weeks.

Fingers crossed:wave::wave: I will keep you updated.

UPDATE: Four days later i heard back from Lloyds:embarasse :mad: Jesus!!! They cheeky things REJECTED my claim for hardship. I called the FOS the same day, having explained my circumstances to them they werent very happy Lloyds hadnt even made me an OFFER. they took my details and swiftly sent me a form to complete, which i did.

They say they will review my claim within 10-14days.....:T lets just see what happens:eek:

ONCE AGAIN fingers crossed and will keep u all informed:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback