Reformed shopaholic? please can you give me the benefit of your advice

Options

Comments

• Anglea
    Anglea Posts: 7,204 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all

I am different NGlady in that I do make friends very easily (too easily in fact) but the trouble is that if I meet someone on the same wavelength, they are the types whose needs don't match my own.

e.g. A number of people with similar interests never do anything unless it's with their hubby. I had a strange experience recently with one couple (no, not that kind of experience LOL) and it left me feeling a bit disappointed with friendship to say the least.

Other people who want to be my friend I've had to avoid LOL because they are extremely energy draining because they talk about problems 24/7.

NGlady - what is the name of the course? Glad you enjoyed your walk.
  • NGlady
    NGlady Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Options
    Its an NVQ in customer care with a certificate in Business administration :)
    Learning to be 'good with money'
  • Anglea
    Options
    That will be useful to you I imagine in the future if you go elsewhere. Will you get paid more when you finish?
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    ThinkingOfLinking Posts: 11,828 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all,
    Super busy but:
    Am now working part time at Primark...And bought a tonne of clothes there the other day. Admittedly, it was essentials: Leggings (of which I previously had NONE) and cycling shorts to wear under really short dresses, 2 summer dresses, some girly boxers as I've binned loads of manky old pants, and I can't remember what else...not much else I don't think actually.
    I've also bought 2 dresses from Miss Selfridge for the summer and yesterday had a miracle moment in Tesco. A dress I've been trying to get in store and online since February, they had my size. It had the belt missing so I asked for a discount. I was offered 10% off which was great. The dress was full price at £22, or so I thought. Got to the till, it was in the sale for £10, so I got it for just £9. Fantastic. Saving up for a TV and minifridge as well as a new soundcard as I need all of these items.
  • Anglea
    Options
    Hi FE

I'd been wondering how you are getting on. Have you moved yet?
  • NGlady
    Options
    Angela, I won't get paid more within the company im with now - but it is a fairly good wage for what I have to do. I'd imagin rather than getting paid more, it'd just show more of an interest in the industry and therefore making it a little easier to secure alternative employment in the future
  • CompletelyLost
    CompletelyLost Posts: 2,862 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,

I have resisted posting as I've been very naughty recently :o Today was my fourth shopping trip in 8-days! My June spends this month are much higher previous few months, but I have to admit I did get a lot of stuff that I needed...and of course, lots of stuff that I didn't.

But yeah, lots of stuff going on around me at the moment... and I'll soon be living alone for 3-months so have to do all that adult stuff like food shopping, cooking, budgeting, etc :eek: It will be odd, but an experience.

FE: great to hear you have a job. Is it the job you were interviewed for or a different job?
  • Anglea
    Options
    Hi all

NGlady - did I imagine it but aren't you going on a nursing course later in the year?

CL - what can I say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! naughty girl LOL

So you've got the house to yourself then? I know you're going to be sensible and not advertise anything on Facebook.

Today I had a :mad: :mad:moment. Thank goodness it's night time and I'm not going out to the shops is all I can say. SOME PEOPLE !!!!!

For year I've known this very narcisstic woman who everyone else dislikes enormously. I used to think it was funny some of the things she talked about probably because I thought she MUST BE JOKING. Finally I realised it was no joke and the non-stop litany of complaints and paranoia about everyone in the whole world is too much. Well today was the final straw.

You know about that death in the family I've had. She totally ignored that, no condolences etc and today because I haven't had the time to talk to her properly in a few weeks, she had a go at me in a very sarcastic way. I was so angry that she thinks the world revolves round her.

She also wrote something very strange about me online!

I've had enough and won't be having any contact again. I'm also ditching the group where I met her, because I've noticed that several people are very similar to her and I often get a bad feeling round them.

I just hope I keep out of the kitchen tonight, this sort of encounter can send me into an eating binge!

Sorry I'm talking about it here but I felt like I was going to explode.
  • NGlady
    Options
    Angela - I was considering it, but sadly it would have taken far too long. I had no qualifications which would get me onto the course and it'd take about five years in total - something which I couldn't afford as looking at the course spec it was quite full on and couldn't really work at same time, also I realized if I truely felt passionate about going into nursing I would have done anything to make it work even nights in a bar.

Yep FE - sorry I missed it, good you got the job :)

CL - you are allowed a spree sometimes :) When you are really good with your shopping, your going to come to a point where you just run out of just about everything!

Angela - that woman doesn't sound the sort of person you want to mix with. Was this an online forum you met through? I am crap at condolences as I don't know what to say, but im shocked to hear she couldn't even say something like "Im sorry to hear your news" or "Are you really ok?" tut tut some people!

HaHa angLEA just realized i've spelt your name wrong constantly whoopsie
  • Anglea
    Options
    Hi all

Don't worry about the name NGlady, it's not my real one :) Thanks for telling me about nursing, I kept thinking this job you have now is temporary until the autumn.

That friend - I've known her for 10 years and right from the start had a bad feeling but kept giving her the benefit of doubt even though no-one else liked her. I have a martyr syndrome about me so can't say no or be impolite to people especially if I know they have problems. There's a part of me that likes to think I can deal with them and no-one else will try. Eventually I learn the hard way :mad:

You'd laugh at this, but when I go up the shops, I often have to plan my route to avoid the worst offenders. Once I had really heavy shopping in both hands and saw this man coming towards me that caused me no end of problems, so I took a side turning only to discover roadworks, so walked a couple of miles out of my way before I got back on the correct road! :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback