MSE News: Have you been sent a wrong tax code by HMRC?

in Cutting Tax
75 replies 18.9K views
1234568»

Replies

• edited 8 March 2010 at 10:47PM
    dori2odori2o Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 March 2010 at 10:47PM
    fengirl wrote: »
    But if an employer fails to advise HMRC that someone has left, then how can HMRC know?

Don't you know...we're all psycic....LOL

(*this is not directed at anyone in particular on this site)

I understand that it can be frustrating when people get incorrect codes, letters, etc but why come on the phone and just start shouting the odds without first taking the time to think before opening trap.

I'm a human being, I go to work like everyone else, just because I work for HMRC does not give you the right to speak to me like a piece of crap.

Be polite and friendly and I'll resolve the problem for you in no time. If I cannot I'll forward your query to the relevant person/department.

I'm not to blame for the backlogs, I'm not to blame for the processes in place, I simply do as I am told cause if I don't it's my job on the line.

With regards to the codes, new system etc, a lot of this mess has been caused by employers/pension providers, even you, the ordinary person on the street not completing forms as required.

I.e. somebody starts work for an employer, but the employer does not advise HMRC of the correct payroll number, then they send in a P60 with the payroll number on. The system cannot differentiale between the 2 sources, as far as the system is concerned you have 2 employments with the same company (which can and does happen, especially in the NHS), all because the employer could not be bothered to complete a form correctly.

Or how about when you leave an employer, as fengirl mentioned. Imagine you leave en employer in January of one year and immediately start another, but your previous employer does not send in a P45,or put a leaving date on the P14 (the carbon copy of the P60) therefore how does HMRC know that you have left an employer,so when the codings are issued for the next tax year, you get one for an employer who you no longer work for, because the employer was too bone idle to send in the forms or fill them in correctly.

Every new computer system has teething problems, but this one has passed far smoother than the debacle we had with the Tax Credits system.

But the problems we have are not down to the advisors who you get through to on the phones, so please, before you start ranting and raving at people who are there to help, just take a deep breath, calm down and talk to us, don't shout.

Trust me, I'm likely to be a lot less sympathetic to your cause if you come on the phone with an attitude.

Be polite to me,and I guarantee you will receive a top quality service, and what I agree to do will be done.
    Do the civil servants running these systems realise what a mess they can make of peoples lives?

Unfortunately those in charge no longer are 'Civil Servants'.

What I mean by that is this. The person in charge of Customer Contact is not somebody who has worked their way through HMRC to the top, and therefore understand the needs of the business. No the person in charge has come from outside.

The Person in charge of the contact centre I work in has come from outside HMRC.

There is no progression within HMRC any longer as that is not what they want. They want to bring in outsiders and it does not work.

They don't want to listen to us who do the work all day every day, they try and install the same working plans that are in place in (mainly) banking contact centres and customer contact, but tax is a unique business,it's not like phoning the bank and asking for your current balance, or asking for a new card. Every single case you deal with is completely different from the last, such is the vast difference between everybodys sources and types of income.

Gone are the days of working up from an AA (as it is now) to a grade 6 or 7, it's not what the top dogs want. Slowly but surely the experienced people in HMRC are disappearing, being replaced with people with absolutely no tax experience, hell,our Contact Centre manager was absolutely convinced that students do not pay tax at all, until somebody quietly put them right on the matter.

That is essentially why our processes are up the wall, because they are written by people who don't know what they are doing.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • edited 9 March 2010 at 1:32PM
    John_PierpointJohn_Pierpoint Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 March 2010 at 1:32PM
    Every new computer system has teething problems, but this one has passed far smoother than the debacle we had with the Tax Credits system.

Thank goodness I was not a victim of that idea - in the face if it a good idea but unfortunately it introduced a lot of the public to a system they could/would not understand.

At the moment I am having a race between HMRC and Barclays bank, for which organisation is doing its best to make my life a misery. I will shortly be going on holiday for 3 weeks - when I come back and find a penalty on the mat from HMRC; do you think I will be sufficient to say "I wrote to you in November and again after Christmas asking for guidance - you have not even acknowledged either letter."

I seem to be caught in the middle of some dispute between two tax offices.
  • I also got a coding notice that was wrong - my main complaint was that this included an underpayment from 08-09 of circa £1200. This was all rooted in my employer not informing HMRC when I got a company car in early 08 and therefore for a good few months (until I twigged) the extra tax was not being paid. However, as I didn't want to be owing money to HMRC I asked if I could clear the underpayment off at the end of the tax year 08-09. Yes, no problem - I sent in my big cheque (how naive I was!) and then of course from April 09 they also started clawing it back through my payroll, when I had already paid.....

:eek:

...well I got that sorted out months and months ago - and yet, the "underpayment" is now turning up again on my 10-11 coding form, nearly 12 months after they cashed my cheque paying it AND after several letters and phone calls on the subject in the intervening months! That is more than a bit worrying.

However I would like to add, as some others have, that I have always found the HMRC staff I have spoken to and gone through figures on the phone with, to be polite and helpful and I certainly don't get on the phone ranting at them. For some reason though, sorting an issue out with an employee there does not always seem to translate to the issue getting/remaining sorted - so are the systems subsequently overruling the staff interventions?!
  • I was sent an incorrect 10/11 coding notice in January. I rang the HMRC 0845 number,today, for the third time. My first two calls, after having gone through the press # rigmarole, advised me that the lines were very busy and that I should try later in the day. My third call got through, after a wait of 23 minutes (at 10p per minute on Virgin) and I got to speak with an apparently, already exasperated young lady (ok, it was POETS day) who asked me to declare my current income. I work part time having taken early retirement 4 years ago, and my total income is way below the 40% threshold they were intending to tax me at. In total my three calls added up to over 3 quid! Why is the HRMC number on an 0845 number? It's free via BT, but Virgin charge. Grrrrr.
    At least the coding should be right now (fingers crossed).
  • Old_WrinklyOld_Wrinkly Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    However I would like to add, as some others have, that I have always found the HMRC staff I have spoken to and gone through figures on the phone with, to be polite and helpful and I certainly don't get on the phone ranting at them. For some reason though, sorting an issue out with an employee there does not always seem to translate to the issue getting/remaining sorted - so are the systems subsequently overruling the staff interventions?!

I agree with the above points.
    Over 6 weeks ago, I queried something. The HMRC employee told me what 'the computer said' even though she couldn't understand the figures shown any more than I could. But she patiently read them out to me so that I could write them down. She offered to send me a printout which would explain things, which I happily agreed to. As I say, that was at least 6 weeks ago. Perhaps I should blame the Post Office for the non-delivery?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

54 ways to ‘DIY it’

According to the MSE Forum

MSE Team Blog

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News

Lidl '£10 off £40 spend' voucher

Via Metro or Daily Mail. Excludes NI

MSE Deals