MSE News: Have you been sent a wrong tax code by HMRC?

in Cutting Tax
75 replies 18.9K views

Replies

• I left a job in September and started a new job a week later. I have received 2 coding notices today, 1 for the job from September witha BR code and the other for other job with the normal 647L code.

Just to complicate things I have since started another job 2 weeks ago.

Will I need to contact HMRC about this? Obviously, when I get my P45 it will have the 647L code on it so my new employer will have the correct code and I won't be doing any work for the 1st one too.
  • I left a job in September and started a new job a week later. I have received 2 coding notices today, 1 for the job from September witha BR code and the other for other job with the normal 647L code.

Just to complicate things I have since started another job 2 weeks ago.

Will I need to contact HMRC about this? Obviously, when I get my P45 it will have the 647L code on it so my new employer will have the correct code and I won't be doing any work for the 1st one too.

No need to really if a BR code has been issued to an employment you have left. All it means is that the job is still shown as "live" on HMRC's computer system, it will be noted as ceased at the end of the tax year when your ex employer sends a P14 showing your leaving date, or when the P45 details are recorded against the incorrect "live" employment.

As you say your new employer will use 647L when you hand in your P45 so no need to worry :)
  • I opened the envelope from them today, with two DIFFERENT tax codes. Both in my name. I only have one job, so both for that. How can they think I can have two jobs at the same employer?
    So I called them up and they told me both of the new codes were wrong, disgard them both and they would send out the correct notification, which is the same code as I have been on for the last 4yrs with the same employer.
  • Not sure if i am on the correct thread, but i have been sent a new tax code i am at the moment 611L but it will change to 618L. why is this ?
  • edited 22 February 2010 at 11:16AM
    moleratmolerat Forumite
    25.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 22 February 2010 at 11:16AM
    Not sure if i am on the correct thread, but i have been sent a new tax code i am at the moment 611L but it will change to 618L. why is this ?
    The P2 will say what the restriction against your pa is for.
  • Got my code today, it broke down as £10K (nearly) car benefit for my temporary Ford Mondeo company car! Called them up and they realised I have two cars against my name, the temporary Insignia (which borke down) and the replacement Mondeo. Only frustrating as I told them not so long back to adjust the 09-10 tax code they issued late last year as I settled into new job.

Bit of a wait to get through but operator was excellent, and verbally gave me new code on the phone.
  • moneypoohmoneypooh Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I opened the envelope from them today, with two DIFFERENT tax codes. Both in my name. I only have one job, so both for that. How can they think I can have two jobs at the same employer?
    So I called them up and they told me both of the new codes were wrong, disgard them both and they would send out the correct notification, which is the same code as I have been on for the last 4yrs with the same employer.

same here, very helpful staff on the phone :)
  • bob_a_builderbob_a_builder Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Who hasn't ?
    Always though it was their method of prompting you to contact them so they could find out even more info
  • zygurat789zygurat789 Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The tax code was correct on both of the identical letters I received today.
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • John_PierpointJohn_Pierpoint Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone else listen to Radio4 "Moneybox" over the weekend.

As far as I understand it, there is a proposal to simplify this PAYE paper system, that cannot cope with modern part time jobs and frequent changes of employment. Dave & the Tories think it will be a good idea.

Your employer sends off you pay gross, but it is routed through a computer managed by HMRC.
    This computer knows all about the National Insurance/tax payer and makes the appropriate deductions before passing on the net amount to the tax payers bank account.

A spokes person was asked "what about gift aid/payroll giving?"; but there was an answer for that and similar anomalies: These exceptions could be handled by the self assessment system. The on-line return would already know about the earnings for the year and for taxpayers wedded to paper we could print out the forms already part completed.

It sounds like a good idea BUT my brain keeps on saying "What about the Child Support Agency?"

I wonder what the "TEA" pressure group in USA would make of all this?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

54 ways to ‘DIY it’

According to the MSE Forum

MSE Team Blog

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News

Lidl '£10 off £40 spend' voucher

Via Metro or Daily Mail. Excludes NI

MSE Deals