MSE News: Have you been sent a wrong tax code by HMRC?

in Cutting Tax
75 replies 18.9K views

Replies

• dzug1dzug1 Forumite
    13.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    miller wrote: »
    Its worth saying that when I have rung up the tax office the staff are friendly and polite. I get the feeling they hate a lot of the systems as much as the public do.

What doesn't help them in my opinion is the patronising and officious way a lot of their written communications come across and in particular the "Tax doesn't have to be taxing" phrase.

Probably means they've been taken for suckers by an advertising agency:)
  • hunnycathunnycat Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    I got sent 2 letters with 2 different codes, one for a job i left over 2 years ago!! i have not phoned them yet but will be doing so this week.
    would love to win an ipad!
    A-Z Challenge - ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
  • MikeyorksMikeyorks Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many taxpayers with simple tax affairs on the 647L code are not sent a notice so have nothing to worry about.

I'm as simple as it gets ...... and I always get one! And as HMRC issue over 20M of them in the bulk issue Jan / Feb (25M projected this year) ..... I'm hardly alone.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • John_PierpointJohn_Pierpoint Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure you are not a higher rate tax candidate?
  • ariarniaariarnia Forumite
    2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I phoned them up as I got made redundant in september and was then sent a letter telling me my new tax code was 20%.

Given when I was employed I was part time while at uni and was earning less than £3000 a year, that's a hell of a jump.

Nice lady amended the details immediately (apparently anyway) and was a bit confused as there was record of my p45 on the system so she couldn't see where they were getting their figures from to calculate my tax anyway.
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?
  • TigsteroonieTigsteroonie Forumite
    24.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They managed (or mis-managed) to list my employment twice, so I got sent two tax codes, each for half an allowance (cf my thread here). I was worried but luckily they spotted the error immediately on me phoning, it was that obvious.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • THanks for this. Having reviewed my tax code and P60, I think that I have overpaid by £90. Not much but worth having back in my pocket!
    There are times when parenthood seems nothing but feeding the mouth that bites you Peter De Vries
    Debt free by 40 (27/11/2016)
  • easyeasy Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I got a code referring to my job, reducing my allowances by 220. In the same post, a second envelope contained a code allowing my 220 allowances, to be operated by a different employer. An employer I have never heard of, let alone worked for, which turns out to be a recruitment agency in Glasgow.

When I rang to get it put right, I was on-hold for sooooooooo long, the battery in my cordless phone went dead just as I got thru to someone, so I had to go thru it all again the following day (grrrrrrrrr).

Eventually I have been sent a correct code. I'm cross because our money has been wasted in sending out sooooo many incorrect codes.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • ScarletBeaScarletBea Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    miller wrote: »
    Its worth saying that when I have rung up the tax office the staff are friendly and polite. I get the feeling they hate a lot of the systems as much as the public do.

Same here.
    Called them this morning, was answered immediately, and they solved the issue right there and then.
    Being brave is going after your dreams head on
  • My OH got a tax code - but he's been on Jobseekers for the last 2 years! Phoned to check, and they "put it right" but he then got another 2 codes, in separate envelopes, sent on the same day! The only reason I could think of for him getting a code this year and not previously, is that he'll turn 60 in March 2011, which is in that tax year. Hopefully now sorted, but we're still left wondering...
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides