MSE News: Have you been sent a wrong tax code by HMRC?

in Cutting Tax
75 replies 18.9K views

Replies

• easyeasy Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    slimmjimm wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I finally received my tax code change this morning (even though the letter was dated 11th Jan!!). It states I have been given the code BR and it has been passed on to my employer.

HOWEVER I was made redundant by my employer back in Sept last year and I’m currently unemployed and I’m not on JSA because I think it’s just a waste of time!!

What should I do??? Should I contact hmrc and let them know about the situation or just leave it be???

Im a bit confused and could do with a bit of help

Thanks all!!!

TBH I wouldn't bother doing anything about it, as it isn't relevant to you at the moment. It's just a waste of your time.

When you begin a new job (assuming this is your intention), take in your P45 or fill in a P46 (by preference), and the employer will be issued with a code for you at that time.

BR can't be correct anyway, if you currently have no taxable income (unless all your pre-tax allocation is being used in income from savings/investments or other unearned means).
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • kitty1801kitty1801 Forumite
    180 Posts
    kellyshay wrote: »
    And this comment that Pam is replying to is the reason i will no longer help on this forum, as HMRC staff we risk losing our jobs to help people on here. I'm sick of being bullied and abused at work by the taxpayers of this country (i'm also a taxpayer), and we come home and sit at our laptops / pcs and get abused here too, well no more.

Signing out of the cutting tax forum.

K

In response to kellyshay I have to agree with her sentiments. Working in the contact centre used to be involving, interesting and pleasant, with the majority of callers speaking to you in a reasonable manner.

Unfortunately, due to some decisions made at a higher level, inability of employers/taxpayers to provide correct or up to date information and an explosion of negative media stories, going to my work is now a misery. The majority of callers are now abusive and angry from the outset. They will not accept anything I tell them and barely ever say thank you.

Please remember that these codes are NOT GOING TO AFFECT YOU until after 06 April. You are not financially out of pocket yet. Please also remember that the people you speak to are real people and deserve some respect and common decency.
  • jackiebjackieb Forumite
    27.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I phone up on behalf of my husband? He won't do it himself and i'm fed up waiting. I (and so does he) think he's had the wrong tax code since last April - and he got notification of his new code a few weeks ago. At the moment he's on a K6** (can't remember exact number offhand), and from April 2010 it's going to be K13**.
  • MikeyorksMikeyorks Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jackieb wrote: »
    Can I phone up on behalf of my husband?

Only if he's there to answer the security questions .... and then requests they discuss with you.
    But the distinction between K6 and K13 does not smack of this particular problem ......... and the Coding Notice should tell you why he's in negative territory?
    Post the detail in a separate thread on here (showing the deductions and whether he has separate income / pension / benefits in kind etc) ........ we'll talk to you:)
    And may make more sense.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
    10.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kitty1801 wrote: »
    The majority of callers are now abusive and angry from the outset.

I concur that doesn't help. But .... put yourself in their shoes. HMRC has a history (SA / tax credits / data losses) of delivering major change which is not initially fit for purpose. And, given their huge databases, it adversely impacts a lot of people.
    The new NPS system has clearly not been subject to a continuity test that it would produce the same Code as COP once the employee data had been merged to single records. It's a dramatic flaw ...... and I'm afraid you're the front line.

Grin and bear it ........ as the other major HMRC shortcomings, it will fade into the background after the end of April (there will be a fresh outburst when people get April pay and only then realise they're on the wrong code!). Unfortunately the HMRC decision makers won't learn from it ..... and testing timeframes and completeness will still be compromised as delivery dates for these major IT systems inevitably slip towards, often immovable, deadlines.
  • jackiebjackieb Forumite
    27.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mikeyorks wrote: »
    Only if he's there to answer the security questions .... and then requests they discuss with you.
    But the distinction between K6 and K13 does not smack of this particular problem ......... and the Coding Notice should tell you why he's in negative territory?
    Post the detail in a separate thread on here (showing the deductions and whether he has separate income / pension / benefits in kind etc) ........ we'll talk to you:)
    And may make more sense.

Thanks. I've already posted the details - somewhere..! We know why they've given him the K code - it's do do with double taxation and benefits in kind. The thing is they're assuming he's still working overseas, but he hasn't been abroad since April 2009. Also he's had a tax rebate and had the deductions taken off before he got the money back. Quite complicated but needs seeing to.

I just need to give him a kick.
    10.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jackieb wrote: »
    I just need to give him a kick.

Right ...... that sounds like a good plan. Wincing before ringing HMRC is probably a good idea ..... gets him in practice for 'during'!
  • John_PierpointJohn_Pierpoint Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mikeyorks wrote: »
    After the end of April (there will be a fresh outburst when people get April pay and only then realise they're on the wrong code!). Unfortunately the HMRC decision makers won't learn from it ..... and testing timeframes and completeness will still be compromised as delivery dates for these major IT systems inevitably slip towards, often immovable, deadlines.

Do the civil servants running these systems realise what a mess they can make of peoples lives?

If you want to hear an outburst from my sister spitting nails, just ask her about the time she had a new source of income, filled in her tax return, ticked the "I want to pay now in cash" box only to realise too late, that it had been ignored and her notice of coding had be doctored.
    Here we go into a maelstrom of bounced direct debits etc. Bank charges, loss of reputation...............
    Not everyone keeps a spare month's salary in their current account; If the HR/Payroll department behaved in such a cavalier way there would be blood on the cobbles - I should know, I used to work in a work study department that calculated individual production bonuses.
    10.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do the civil servants running these systems realise what a mess they can make of peoples lives?

They're not run by civil servants ...... but by contractors (in this case CapGemini) since HMRC outsourced (initially EDS) it's IT some 15/16 years ago. The interfaces are patrolled by allegedly professional project managers on the HMRC side.
    But ..... they're trained to follow project methodology. Which means their job is done if the project is on time and (frequently manipulated) budget. Unfortunately the test of whether the completed software is fit for operational purpose tends to fall down cracks. As the project managers don't have enough IT / operational expertise to ride shotgun adequately on the testing / expected results.
    But ..... that's not a problem restricted to HMRC. Their errors just tend to come to focus more because of their size / UK wide impact.
  • John_PierpointJohn_Pierpoint Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm having the same problem with my wheelie bin collection, which has been outsourced to a firm that thinks its employees are just "units of resource".
    Just because my frugal lifestyle means we cannot fill a wheelie bin a week, when we do put the full bin out, this week's "units of resource" don't bother to check they have visited all the homes on the route and don't collect our bin.:mad:

Time to do my Victor Meldrew imitation ?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides