🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Everything & Anything New York City

Options

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Time to wait for the airline sales, which should appear towards the end of next week, for non peak time travel.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    My wife and myself were thinking about going to New York for about a week in April.I have been right thru this thread from first to last ( not all at the same time ) and everybody seems to be getting better prices than i am able to.
    First problem - flying from Newcastle prices £850 each return
    flying from London prices £550/£700 each return

surely it does not cost the airline £300 each for a return flight from Newcastle to Heathrow/Gatwick ? or am i doing something wrong.
    Also looked at the price of hotels in New York,so many to choose and again not cheap.
    Any help or guidance from the many regular posters/travellers will be welcome.

Have a look at flight and hotel bookings on BA.com, they have flight and hotels from £868 p.p. for 7 nights in a Manhatten hotel, tuesday to tuesday or nearer a grand each sat/sat, with flights from Newcastle via London or Dublin to NY.

The £868 was for a week from the 4th Apr. I wouldn't get too hung up on hotels, as you found prices are expensive in NY and you just want somewhere to sleep really, if you're near a subway station nothing is far away.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies,i have been looking on BA Holidays but again a lot of the hotel/flights are coming up at between 2-3 grand for a week which might be the going rate i honestly do not know,the biggest choise seems to be the hotel selection,some look really good but without spending time on trip advisor or better still personel recommendation i am not sure,i would hate to book a hotel and take my wife to a dump or worse still,a hotel that you would not leave for fear of the location,being a New York virgin does not help.
    Thanks again,will keep looking.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • richardw
    Options
    Ganga, if you can visit before the end of March, then wait for the sale fares that should be available towards the end of next week.
    The first 2 weeks of April are the Easter holidays, so avoid visiting then.
    Late April/ early May should have better flight+hotel prices.
    If you can travel down to Heathrow the night before, or nip across to Dublin, you may get better prices. A holiday inn or a Hampton inn located in Midtown should be Ok. It's a bit of a learning curve at first but research effort is well worth it.
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    First problem - flying from Newcastle prices £850 each return
    Have you investigated flying via Amsterdam (Schiphol) with KLM?
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • 1trainer1
    1trainer1 Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies,i have been looking on BA Holidays but again a lot of the hotel/flights are coming up at between 2-3 grand for a week which might be the going rate i honestly do not know,the biggest choise seems to be the hotel selection,some look really good but without spending time on trip advisor or better still personel recommendation i am not sure,i would hate to book a hotel and take my wife to a dump or worse still,a hotel that you would not leave for fear of the location,being a New York virgin does not help.
    Thanks again,will keep looking.

Wait until after christmas as lots of airlines and hotels will be having sales for next year
    Blessed on 18th February 2014 at 0814 with little Sarah xxx
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    John259 wrote: »
    Have you investigated flying via Amsterdam (Schiphol) with KLM?
    Tried a dummy booking to get prices from Newcastle to NY with KLM,price about £1300 for two people,i do not know if this is a good price.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Tried a dummy booking to get prices from Newcastle to NY with KLM,price about £1300 for two people,i do not know if this is a good price.

Iver never paid more than £350pp, but thats from heathrow. if newcastle is 300pp more, id travel down to london or maybe look at manchester, as that tends to come up similar pricing to heathrow.

Although i tend to book at least 6 months in advance in the sales, and be flexible enough to go on the cheapest dates i can find
  • richardw
    Options
    £350pp is the rock bottom sale price, I've paid more for better flight timings.
  • TAZ
    TAZ Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    need a little advice please , have the chance to go back to NY but was wondering as i can go just about anytime during the year which months are the cheapest to travel flights wise, Having been before i now know i dont need a hotel right in the middle sp will find a reasonable priced one unless i can get a good package, but need to know the cheapest flight months/weeks
    thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family