Everything & Anything New York City

Options

Comments

• moreofthegoodstuff
    moreofthegoodstuff Posts: 652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 November 2016 at 11:13PM
    Options
    I'm looking at booking CitizenM in Times Square £1100 for 5 nights next May/The Time £1180, is this about right? First time to NY...also we have won flights that are all booked and can log on to the flight website and see the details... Would you book a non refundable stay based on this? It makes it so much cheaper?
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm looking at booking CitizenM in Times Square £1100 for 5 nights next May/The Time £1180, is this about right?

there are variables here which make it kinda hard for anyone to answer that question for example are you staying over a weekend? hotels in new york are more expensive midweek so staying over a weekend makes it cheaper, also the date itself would help someone comment on the price, oh and number of travellers too. As an aside why are you looking at these hotels?

IWould you book a non refundable stay based on this? It makes it so much cheaper?

depends what the price difference is. 9 times out of 10 I book a refundable hotel and then keep an eye on the price and if it comes down by a quite a few quid cancel my initial booking and rebook.
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • TAZ
    TAZ Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    having stayed at the edison just off times square i would say that altho its great been in the centre you dont actually have to be in the very centre as the whole area is easy to get around, when i go back im going to find somewhere a bit more down towards lower manhatten.
  • curlytop12
    curlytop12 Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hi, looked at Virgin holidays to book a 4 night hol next august-
    options for hotels are midtown or soho/tribeca - could someone kindly advise please? It'll be me and teen son...
    many thanks
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    curlytop12 wrote: »
    hi, looked at Virgin holidays to book a 4 night hol next august-
    options for hotels are midtown or soho/tribeca - could someone kindly advise please? It'll be me and teen son...
    many thanks

Have a look at the first page as there is loads of info there.

IMHO In NYC (like London) you only really have to be close to the Metro to enjoy the city.

Have you looked at DIY options as opposed to the Virgin Holidays?

NYC is easy to get to and though hotels can be pricey there are lots of ways to be MSE ;)
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Midtown is good for Penn Station for trains too and from the airports.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • curlytop12
    curlytop12 Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    blindman wrote: »
    Have a look at the first page as there is loads of info there.

IMHO In NYC (like London) you only really have to be close to the Metro to enjoy the city.

Have you looked at DIY options as opposed to the Virgin Holidays?

NYC is easy to get to and though hotels can be pricey there are lots of ways to be MSE ;)
    thank you:)
    i don't feel confident to book it DIY style...
    is their other companies who would do a "package" ?
    could it really be easy to do?
    I'm fine with the Tube in London :)
  • b33r
    b33r Posts: 905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 November 2016 at 2:15AM
    Options
    curlytop12 wrote: »
    thank you:)
    i don't feel confident to book it DIY style...
    is their other companies who would do a "package" ?
    could it really be easy to do?
    I'm fine with the Tube in London :)

When we went our 'package' was booked through trailfinders. But when I say package this was pretty much just flight and hotel and what they did I could have easily done myself separately but it was only very slightly more and allowed us to have a gift list for people to contribute (it was our honeymoon). They were however very helpful about recommending hotels (and got us a room upgrade) and did offer to book excursions etc. for us but I did do all that myself.

Tip for you based on your last comment, forget everything you know about the Tube in London for the metro system in New York, it can actually make it more confusing if you try and apply the same logic. There's an app for the metro system that I found very helpful and my biggest tip is to ensure you'll have a smart phone with data access (US is included in three plans) in order to keep looking at the map for directions and to use the metro app. Second biggest tip, if you want to go to the crown of the statue of liberty book early and book through Statue Cruises as places go very far in advance. Also get yourself a credit card with no foreign exchange fees like Halifax clarity or the Post office one
  • 1983MJS
    1983MJS Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 21 November 2016 at 11:35AM
    Options
    James8

Doesn't sound too unrealistic depending on the seat. We did an NHL game at MSG and paid around $140 for mid way back / centre ice tickets.

Watch out for taxes etc also - maybe added at the end? Not sure how ticketmaster price up front.
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    b33r wrote: »
    Tip for you based on your last comment, forget everything you know about the Tube in London
    How to use the New York City subway system:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXbSqFqZvFc&t=4s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayp0ZUjfZRA
    Hope these help.
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts