Everything & Anything New York City

Options

Comments

• oysterman
    Options
    Morning guys, looking to book a trip to New York. Travelling end week of march 2017. Is it best to book now or last minute, do travel agent's have new year sale's nowadays. Cheer's for any replies.
    if i had known then what i know now
  • 1trainer1
    1trainer1 Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Been offered the Dumont NYC-an Affinia hotel for £575 for 4 nights in June and just wondering if anyone has any reviews on the hotel?

have to pay $108.88 locally as a resort fee but it looking reasonable as from what I can tell its in a good location

its for the 08th June for 4 nights for 2 adults.
    Blessed on 18th February 2014 at 0814 with little Sarah xxx
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    On my way to NY and have two queries I can't seem to find answers and hope you experts can help with.

I will be staying at a hotel in Long Island City but will then need to make my way to New Jersey. I've looked at using Dial7 or Allstatelimo, who are quoting around $90. If I book it from an address in Manhattan though, the cost goes down by $30. My question therefore is whether you can book from a random address (subway station for instance), or does it need to be a house/hotel. Also, is there any financial benefit booking a couple of weeks in advance compared to 2 days (ie. when we get there)? I did look at public transport, which is feasible, but wouldn't be that much cheaper in the end if indeed we can travel from Manhattan and is quite cumbersome.

The second question relates to mobile phone usage! I've taken the advice provided here and got a Three Sim card, but I just can't get my head around what I need to do now to get the add-on (feel at home?).
  • cardfile
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    The second question relates to mobile phone usage! I've taken the advice provided here and got a Three Sim card, but I just can't get my head around what I need to do now to get the add-on (feel at home?).

For the mobile phone question search 'How add-ons work' on the Three site and there's some useful guidance.

You need to top-up your card with sufficient funds to buy the add-on that will give you the minutes/data you need.

You then activate that add-on before you travel and you're good to go.

Current rates are -

All in One 10 - 1GB/100min - £10

All in One 20 - 12GB/300min - £20

All in One 25 - All-you-can-eat/500min - £25

All offer 3000 SMS texts and last up to 30 days
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for this. Found the page this time, so gather all I need to do is call 444. Just to clarify, I bought a SIM card with £10, so does this mean I can get the All in One 10 without additional cost?

I am such an idiot when it comes to mobile technology!
  • scott777
    Options
    Help!! My girlfriend and I are in New York for New Years Eve and are struggling to find a bar to spend the night. Can anyone recommend a few bars that we should check out? (or at least an area of New York we should focus on, eg Soho?). We want to avoid Times Square anyway. There are so many bars to choose from though! Many of them are asking for $150+ just for general admission, but we're not sure if this is good value for money?

Thank you
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ive had a couple of very liquid evenings here

http://trailerparklounge.com/

Great staff and really good bar food too, i have no idea about their new year policy though
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My wife and myself were thinking about going to New York for about a week in April.I have been right thru this thread from first to last ( not all at the same time ) and everybody seems to be getting better prices than i am able to.
    First problem - flying from Newcastle prices £850 each return
    flying from London prices £550/£700 each return

surely it does not cost the airline £300 each for a return flight from Newcastle to Heathrow/Gatwick ? or am i doing something wrong.
    Also looked at the price of hotels in New York,so many to choose and again not cheap.
    Any help or guidance from the many regular posters/travellers will be welcome.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • HoofeHearted
    Options
    If you can fly from Manchester, try http://www.thomascookairlines.com

We used them last year flying to JFK at a good price.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    phatbear wrote: »
    Ive had a couple of very liquid evenings here

http://trailerparklounge.com/

Great staff and really good bar food too,...

Me too, great place.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure