Everything & Anything New York City

Options

Comments

• stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tip for those going to Top of the Rock. Just go to bar 65 at the rainbow rooms. Access is via mezzanine level at Rockefeller centre. 2 floors below the observation deck but the same view for free.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • mark_steps
    Options
    Me and my hubbie fly out to NYC in a few weeks for 4days. We arrive about 4pm. We are just getting a taxi to the Pennsylvania hotel.

Been looking at what we wanna do, these include Central Park, Empire State Building, Rockefeller centre, 911 memorial, manhattan cruise, Staten Island ferry, Times Square, subway, plaza hotel (I'm home alone 2 daft) flat iron building, bus tour, broadway show, and Brooklyn bridge.

I know it's all about the planning and google maps will help me. Is there an app I can use to help plan? Will it be worth getting a city pass ticket for certain tourist things?

Any advice? Should I avoid anything of the above?

Thank you :)
  • laingn
    laingn Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I first went to NYC in Dec 14 and heading back this December. The count down is on. We bought a city pass with hop on hop off bus access for 3 days which covered us most of the time we were there. It also gave with it access to a couple of tourist attractions. here is a link to the site https://www.newyorkpass.com/En/?aid=13&gclid=CM3_7a2k-s4CFQYSGwodioMP6w

We liked that we could get on and off the bus as much as we like which was great for shopping.

The other place which was great was woodbury common outlet shopping. You get a return bus pass to there its all designer outlet shops.

https://www.newyorkpass.com/En/new-york-attractions/discounts/Woodbury-Common-Premium-Outlets-Short-Line-Coach-USA-Bus/?aid=98&gclid=COPc9OGk-s4CFe0y0wod62sKiQ

enjoy your holiday :)
  • mark_steps
    Options
    We have bought our 3 day pass but as we arrive in the Sunday around 6pm at the hotel, there is no point in using then as it's valid for 3 days regardless of when you first use it. May as well get our money's worth for whole days. I'm sure we can go get our bearings, food and see the park and of course strawberry fields.

Quick question however. We have purchased the esta.OH printed a copy of I never tho. I have a screen shot on my mobile. The reference is clear. Is that all I need?

Thanks
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Btw the La Compagnie flights from LTN are ending in September.
    If you have a booking after then you'll need them to re-route you.
    If you don't, apparently there are fares from £698 return for their premium product.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • 8i6daddy
    Options
    mark_steps wrote: »
    We have bought our 3 day pass but as we arrive in the Sunday around 6pm at the hotel, there is no point in using then as it's valid for 3 days regardless of when you first use it. May as well get our money's worth for whole days. I'm sure we can go get our bearings, food and see the park and of course strawberry fields.

Quick question however. We have purchased the esta.OH printed a copy of I never tho. I have a screen shot on my mobile. The reference is clear. Is that all I need?

Thanks

Ive never been asked to provide proof of my ESTA anytime Ive been to the states. I think its all linked into your passport number that you put on the application.

Ive always just handed my passport to the border control agent and just answered the usual questions and done fingerprints, etc.

What I would say is though, remember exactly what you have put on your ESTA because sometimes you might get an agent that likes to be very very specific. Its not that theyre trying to be awkward, theyre just making sure you are the person that filled out the application.
  • josie
    josie Posts: 3,107 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've never been asked to provide it either, although it does say to print a copy, so we usually take it with us. You can always go back in and print it. Use the link on MSE to take you to the site.
  • BB88_2
    Options
    Hi all... 96 days till we fly to New York for Christmas... Getting more excited every day! Got our passes sorted and booked a helicopter ride but wondered if anyone had any recommendations as to where to go for our Christmas dinner please?! Would like to try and book something if poss just so we know we're sorted. Staying at Omni Berkshire Place (E 52nd/Madison Ave) Thanks in advance xx
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you fancy somewhere like Virgil's BB88?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • BB88_2
    Options
    Will definitely try Virgil's one night as my OH and son love BBQ food but was looking at something a bit nicer for Christmas Day dinner?! Although also would like to go to Hard Rock and Planet Hollywood.... Arrghh too many choices :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure