Options

Comments

• b33r
    b33r Posts: 905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 August 2016 at 7:07PM
    Options
    scottishf wrote: »
    We are 4 adults, going to NY from 31st March to 7th April next year. We will be staying in Brooklyn flying into JFK. We want to see the 9/11, statue of liberty, empire state, time square and top of the rock, but not sure which of the passes will be the best value....

I got the New York City Pass when I went, sounds like it covers everything you need. I purchased a ticket to the statue of liberty separately (from Statue Cruises) which is the official site. This allowed me to get tickets to go up to the crown of the statue of liberty (they sell out far in advance so book early). Then I used that part of the City Pass for the Circle Line Sightseeing Cruise. For the Empire State building experience the City Pass ticket also allows you to go up again the same day late at night which we did and it was excellent.

See my other post here for some other recommendations.
  • foxybabe
    Options
    First time in NY at the end of this month. Uber excited. We are flying from Manchester to JFK. We haven't booked transfers yet so any recommendations would be appreciated. Also what are the best things to definitely do and definitely avoid. Going for 6 days.

Thanks in advance. :)
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance....
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    foxybabe wrote: »
    We haven't booked transfers yet so any recommendations would be appreciated. Also what are the best things to definitely do and definitely avoid.

there are a lot of variables involved with getting an answer which covers the bases for you.

for instance, where are you staying in NY? if its close to a subway why waste time and money on transfers when you can get on the subway to your hotel, sort of, of course there is a break even point in the cost of this method based on how many people are in the party, even then i would just jump in a cab I wouldnt bother pre-booking anything.

what must you do whilst there? well i could recommend plenty of museums and good eating establishments but you may not be in the least bit interested in either of these.

it would help us to help you if you gave us some idea of where you are staying and what you are into so we can come up with some suggestions for you
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 September 2016 at 12:03AM
    Options
    First time in NY at the end of this month. Uber excited. We are flying from Manchester to JFK. We haven't booked transfers yet so any recommendations would be appreciated. Also what are the best things to definitely do and definitely avoid. Going for 6 days.

Thanks in advance. :)

We found the Airtrain/subway ideal from JFK. $5 for the airtrain then $32 for a 7 day unlimited ride metrocard, so $42 each and that covers all your subway and local buses for your entire stay. Have a look on the MTA site you can enter your hotel as the destination and you can decide if it's viable, takes a good hour to Midtown Times Square area.

We done the "usual" touristy things, Times Square, Central Park, ESB, SoL, walked over the Brooklyn bridge, 9/11 memorial, the museum wasn't finished when we went. Just walking round taking in the atmosphere was great. I'm sure more knowledgeable posters will have better suggestions but we just "went with the flow" and loved our stay there.
  • foxybabe
    foxybabe Posts: 752 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry didn't think about that. We are staying at the Edison in Times Square. I konw it will be busy but wanted to be as central as possible.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance....
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd get the AirTran from JFK to Jamaica then the E mta line to 50th st and a little walk to the Edison. Road transport to Manhattan from JFK is very stop start and tedious.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • newyorklover81
    Options
    Hello

I am looking to book my third trip to NYC for December 2017.
    The first time I went at thanksgiving and it was amazing, 2nd time this year in May. Really want to be there when it's christmassy and want to go either 1st-5th December or 15-19th, does anyone know when the flights become available to book? will it be January 2017?

also we have been looking at hotels but it already looks as though many are booked on the dates we want :-(

should we book the hotel now and then grab flights as soon as they are on sale?

thanks for help :-)
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Hello

I am looking to book my third trip to NYC for December 2017.
    The first time I went at thanksgiving and it was amazing, 2nd time this year in May. Really want to be there when it's christmassy and want to go either 1st-5th December or 15-19th, does anyone know when the flights become available to book? will it be January 2017?

also we have been looking at hotels but it already looks as though many are booked on the dates we want :-(

should we book the hotel now and then grab flights as soon as they are on sale?

thanks for help :-)

Normally scheduled flights are released 11 months in advance so yes January 2017 would be my guess.
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 4 September 2016 at 10:18PM
    Options
    We don't know you . your age . likes and dislikes but do all the touristy stuff . its expensive because its touristy stuff . set a direction and do a day of that area . Food is a plenty .I'm a steak fan and shulas floats my boat although the Scottish steak house is close to the Edison serves some single malts like no other . see a show is a must . lots to choose from . Dine NYC a few times find the shake shacks and ellens stardust diner , Juniors. New York Central Park ..why not .. shopping ...why not ... hop on the staten island ferry to see the SoL or book a trip to liberty island . do Brooklyn for a day and come back over the bridge. Watch a game different matches on football, baseball, basketball depending when your there . Top of The Rocks a few blocks away . better than Empire state IMO. Up to the top at dusk and watch the city light up. Any bands playing at MSqG or the bowery . BB Kings Blues Bar and grill can be the best night good table food too . Theres a cinema in the Ewalks on the corner of 42nd & 7th (I think) built into the westin hotel . Walk down some of 8th ave about midnight .its like a scene from midnight cowboy . not suitable for kids haha NJOY NYC..Edit stop press edit .. Although I'm not there I always keep an eye out for whats on music wise in NYC . At the end of this month theres a plenty of choice depending on your "type" adele is there . John Waite . Billy Joel in mSqG but hells bells TEDESCHI TRUCKS BAND are in the beacon on the 30th . If you can catch these in NYC your in for a treat . Tickets still available .
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry didn't think about that. We are staying at the Edison in Times Square. I konw it will be busy but wanted to be as central as possible.

We've just come back from staying in Times Square. Never again. Restaurants are expensive, even Olive Garden, they are digging up a lot of the roads in the area so there's masses of congestion. The crowds are insane.

We got a shuttle bus which was £35 one way for the 2 of us, but after our first day there got the hang of the subways. As long as you don't have lots of luggage you'll be fine with the underground. AirTran to Jamaca, then E train takes you straight to Times Square in about 35 minutes. One way will be a one time purchase of the metro card for $1. Then $5 for the air train and $2.75 for a subway ticket.
    We loaded our ticket up with money because you get bonus added to it if you purchase over a certain amount.

We nearly got caught going back to the airport. From 50th street the E train looks like a downtown to Jamaca but it's an uptown, luckily we asked.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure