Everything & Anything New York City

Options

Comments

• SplanK
    SplanK Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all,
    Me and the wife(!) are going on our honeymoon to NY on Tuesday. Very excited and have our days planned as much as poss... the only thing I am fretting about is money! We are going for 12 days and we have $125 a day between us.
    Just wondering what other people recommend as I have no idea as tomorrow will be our last chance to top up the fund at a decent rate! We have already bought a 7 day attraction pass which we will pick up once there, so really its just food and getting around (which we will be using the subway a lot). We have our credit cards to hand but wanted to avoid using them unless really needed.
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Your going for 12 days on your honeymoon congrats firstly . Have 2 cheap days then one spend touristy days. You have cc backup if needed .Window shopping walks in the park are free,
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    SplanK wrote: »
    Hi all,
    We are going for 12 days and we have $125 a day between us.
    Just wondering what other people recommend as I have no idea as tomorrow will be our last chance to top up the fund at a decent rate!

I normally take $200 a day, but I go for a beer based holiday, which is more expensive. If I took beer out of the equation, then I'm looking at $100 I spend.
    We have already bought a 7 day attraction pass which we will pick up once there, so really its just food and getting around (which we will be using the subway a lot). We have our credit cards to hand but wanted to avoid using them unless really needed.

If you hadn't have bought the pass, you would have probably spent the same and not be rushing around trying to make it work for you. hey ho!

M
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,968 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    fruitpie wrote: »
    Thanks Greenface for your quick and very helpful response.

Looking at flights with BA or Virgin they are very expensive - why is Virgin so expensive? Would like to fly with a British airline but looks like United are cheapest. :(

I would rather pay the extra to fly with BA than fly united, united have longer flight times and smaller planes.

I've just got quotes and BA were £100 each more, so I dropped down a hotel class to balance the books.
    Shame really as Trump Towers International have a 30% off deal at the moment as they are refurbishing their pool.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • SplanK
    SplanK Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    M4RKM wrote: »
    I normally take $200 a day, but I go for a beer based holiday, which is more expensive. If I took beer out of the equation, then I'm looking at $100 I spend.

Thanks - we are not really big drinkers ourselves so should not be too bad then - thanks :) Probably squeeze a few 'cheap' days in to allow for some more expensive days!
    M4RKM wrote: »
    If you hadn't have bought the pass, you would have probably spent the same and not be rushing around trying to make it work for you. hey ho!
    M

we agreed that although we would get the pass and that we would not be rushed and just do everything that we want to do - I see it as a fixed amount, yeah if we do more it woks out cheaper but we have planned the time so we can fit everything in we want to fit in without rushing it :). It also means we dont have to worry about taking extra cash for the places we want to go, I see it more of a convenience rather than using it as a money saving tool, as stuff we want to do has mostly already been paid for :)
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks - we are not really big drinkers ourselves so should not be too bad then - thanks :) Probably squeeze a few 'cheap' days in to allow for some more expensive days!

we agreed that although we would get the pass and that we would not be rushed and just do everything that we want to do - I see it as a fixed amount, yeah if we do more it woks out cheaper but we have planned the time so we can fit everything in we want to fit in without rushing it :). It also means we dont have to worry about taking extra cash for the places we want to go, I see it more of a convenience rather than using it as a money saving tool, as stuff we want to do has mostly already been paid for :)

Similarly though, if you plan things, research discount offers, or a different kind of pass that you build to what you want to go visit, you can, and probably will have spent less money. the NY Pass / City Pass are great marketing schpeels, and I've never really worked out how much of a bargain they are. They add on attractions that are just tourist attractions and nothing iconic. I live in London and still have no desire to go to Madame Tussauds, and the same applies for when I visit NYC!.

It is well worth spending time on working out what you WANT to visit, what is a MEH, It'll be nice to visit, etc etc, and then work out the price of entry, free entry if it is available at a certain time / pay what you wish admission which is for some museums, and those that you can't get discounts / free for, you can look at a Go Select pass, which you select what you want to visit, and you get fixed discounts. This by far is the best pass available because you'll stick to attractions, and then you'll SEE NYC, rather than think (and you've already said it), we'll go here, because it's on the pass. NYC has much more to offer than just what is on NY pass, city pass, all the passes put together.

On the cheap days, well, one good trick is to learn where you get free food when you order a drink, take Rudy's in Hells Kitchen. Cheap Beer, and a free hotdog. Or maybe you're in the mood for a pizza. That's simple - head to Aligator Lounge in Williamsburg Brooklyn for a free pizza with a drink.

Other ways to save are fill up at lunchtime with Prix Fixe deals, or some bars have lunch deals. I know of Village Pourhouse in the East Village does a $6 burger deal (maybe it's $7 now), and $1 beers while you're there. Deals like this make your money go further, but please remember to TIP when you're eating in bars/restaurants. $1 a drink or around 15-20% of the total bill (double the tax). Don't not tip, just because you've not got a lot of cash, you really must budget for tips, which isn't in the british culture, but is part and parcel of NYC culture. Think of it this way, the price you see is for the food alone. You need to pay the tax to the taxman, and also you need to pay for it to be served to you.

M
  • bb69
    bb69 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 April 2012 at 10:46PM
    Options
    Hi all,
    Me and the wife(!) are going on our honeymoon to NY on Tuesday. Very excited and have our days planned as much as poss... the only thing I am fretting about is money! We are going for 12 days and we have $125 a day between us.
    Just wondering what other people recommend as I have no idea as tomorrow will be our last chance to top up the fund at a decent rate! We have already bought a 7 day attraction pass which we will pick up once there, so really its just food and getting around (which we will be using the subway a lot). We have our credit cards to hand but wanted to avoid using them unless really needed.

Congratulations!! :love:

Where are you staying?
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    Options
    fruitpie wrote: »
    Thanks Greenface for your quick and very helpful response.

Looking at flights with BA or Virgin they are very expensive - why is Virgin so expensive? Would like to fly with a British airline but looks like United are cheapest. :(

Why so insistent on British airline? IMHO american airlines are way superior anyway...
    Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j
  • ajdj
    ajdj Posts: 567 Forumite
    Options
    paulfoel wrote: »
    Why so insistent on British airline? IMHO american airlines are way superior anyway...

Whilst the chances of another ash cloud type incident are hopefully very rare, it would make me think twice about long haul on a non-EU based airline. We were stranded in NY for 17 days at the time and thankfully fully covered by Virgin Atlantic under EU regulations (our insurance company called it an 'Act of God' and refused to help). If we had flown via a US based airline we would have been on our own. As I say, rare incident, but worth noting if you didn't already know.

I've flown Continental (US-based) BA and Virgin several times to NY and in economy there is almost no difference between them. Economy product on all the major airlines is pretty much the same! Go for the best value in terms of departure airport, flight times, arrival airport and have a great time!
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ajdj wrote: »
    Whilst the chances of another ash cloud type incident are hopefully very rare, it would make me think twice about long haul on a non-EU based airline. We were stranded in NY for 17 days at the time and thankfully fully covered by Virgin Atlantic under EU regulations (our insurance company called it an 'Act of God' and refused to help). If we had flown via a US based airline we would have been on our own. As I say, rare incident, but worth noting if you didn't already know.
    I couldn't agree more, this was our experience as well (except we were 'stranded' in California). Our insurers were also not accepting claims. We were fully re-imbursed by Virgin Atlantic.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business