Everything & Anything New York City

Options

Comments

• poor_johno
    poor_johno Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whats best; change money up in the UK or when in New York?...Im going in a week :j:j:j Thanks
    What's gone will never come back. But it exists when you think of it ...
  • fruitpie
    fruitpie Posts: 202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Greenface.
    Booked up last night - staying at The Conrad, which looks fabulous. Flying with BA from Heathrow - roll on.
    Thanks .......
  • guineapig
    guineapig Posts: 276 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I am going to New York in April and I am currently looking at things and trying to get my head around where things are. But I want to bring back some food items and wondered if there was a supermarket like Wall-mart or similar that I could go do a big shop? I know this is a tall order but some things you just can't get in the UK and I have very long shopping list from my previous trips to Colorado.
    Thanks in advance for any help, tips or advice

:j <- me getting excited now

The supermarkets in Manhatten are not as big as you would find out in the boonies in the rest of the USA.

That said, there are lots of them and they do have a huge choice of stuff. Be prepared for the prices to be 2 or 3 times what you might pay in Colorado!! We buy certain American stuff that's not available here, but it isn't cheap.
    I love Fairways supermarket, it sells everything ( and we are Vegan, so I MEAN everything!!) there is one on Upper West side opp beacon hotel on 72nd street . There is also one on upper East side.

Food Emporium is a bit like waitrose here, in that it is a bit posher.
    Google supermarkets for the area of NY you will be staying in and you will get allsorts to check out. HTH?
  • poor_johno
    poor_johno Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whats the recommended time for getting to the airport for flights to America?

With online check in is it still recommeded to get there three hours prior?

Cheers
    What's gone will never come back. But it exists when you think of it ...
  • alliwantistosave
    Options
    guineapig wrote: »
    The supermarkets in Manhatten are not as big as you would find out in the boonies in the rest of the USA.

That said, there are lots of them and they do have a huge choice of stuff. Be prepared for the prices to be 2 or 3 times what you might pay in Colorado!! We buy certain American stuff that's not available here, but it isn't cheap.
    I love Fairways supermarket, it sells everything ( and we are Vegan, so I MEAN everything!!) there is one on Upper West side opp beacon hotel on 72nd street . There is also one on upper East side.

Food Emporium is a bit like waitrose here, in that it is a bit posher.
    Google supermarkets for the area of NY you will be staying in and you will get allsorts to check out. HTH?

Thanks so much for your helpful reply :D I have looked at both of those now and I now know I can get what I want.
    I guess I am used to travelling around with a hire car and stopping @ big supermarkets on prev trips so wasn't sure of food market names in New York.
    Restarting C25K in 2014 - Week 8 - 1/3 completed

Need to loose 25lb / 3lb lost so far :(
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Check with the airline & airport I would like to hear your excuse for being late. "Well some geezer or geezette from MSE told me it would be ok "
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • guineapig
    guineapig Posts: 276 Forumite
    Options
    We have been to Manhattan twice and are planning a trip back in October. We want to avoid the rush hour crush on subways. I wonder when in the mornings the subways start to get particularly busy, particularly the 4,5,6 trains from the Upper East Side/Yorkville?
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Same as any rush hour crush, in any city, in any country really . Starts just after 7 and slows down before 10 then again just before 4 until about half seven . Why would it be any different ? (i dont like the subs full stop busy or empty)Weekends are the same times but less busy but still the busy times of the day.
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • regret70
    regret70 Posts: 216 Forumite
    Options
    Just booked our first trip to ny, 7 nights at the. New Yorker in February. So excited!!!
    LBM- may2010:A
  • USAgirl
    USAgirl Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    guineapig- the other thing to remember is that the 4,5 and 6 are the only subways heading down the UES so they are the most busy. Sometimes you can't get onto the platform in the rush hour...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure