Everything & Anything New York City

Options

Comments

• Lady_S
    Lady_S Posts: 1,156 Forumite
    Options
    it all depends on what you want.

Are they direct flights?
    Are they from from a regional airport or heathrow?

I paid £375 for returns from Birmingham to Newark in February, and this is a quiet period of the year. September is busier.
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    sagom where in the world are you. Prices differ
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • sagom
    sagom Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, should have made that clearer. That was for direct flights from Heathrow. Any London Airport will work though. :-)
  • greenface
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Mid sept £440 is whats showing you may get a swing of about £30 if you check enough times so just over £400 and just below £500 .If your booking for 4 you may save enough to pay for a "free night" or a meal each. I would be looking for best times and if flights are direct (or how long) as it could work out a extra half day in NYC than in some european airport
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bb69 wrote: »
    Its ok... I'm the same :)
    I cannot wait to go back, but when its a bit warmer! I have done 2 December trips (lucky as mildish both times) and once in April (was a little colder than I was expecting)

This time hoping for late June or July!

The next time I go, I must try one of the Man vs Food challenges! Does anyone watch the programme? I love it!

Me too, am hoping to go get a double dip beef sandwich :D
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • bexxie90
    bexxie90 Posts: 376 Forumite
    Options
    kathryn2 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

So, I'm off to New York in mid-May for my 30th birthday, staying six nights. I managed to get a flight with airmiles before they changed the Avios system, but my three friends had to pay for theirs. So my hotel budget was always going to be higher than theirs! Unfortunately the budget they came up with was sub-£600 each for 6 nights - which either meant going for Hotwire/Priceline or staying outside of Midtown, and as it was a couple of people's first time in New York, they wanted to be central. We looked at MSE-favourite Cosmopolitan, but that was too expensive.

So, we went for Hotwire, knowing it was a risk. We want a bed each, so we searched for 4 people in each room, thinking that for 4 adults a room has to have two beds. We found what looks like a fabulous deal - £1590 for two rooms, less than £400 each! We went for it.

We got the Holiday Inn Midtown, which we thought must be fine, since Holiday Inns have a pretty set standard. But then I made the mistake of reading some TripAdvisor reviews last night. Eeek! Bedbugs, mice in the rooms, unhelpful service, overcharging, rooms stinking of ciggarette smoke, noise, and one person who had booked 3 rooms through Priceline for 10 people being given 3 King Bed rooms and having to kick up a fuss to get moved.

So I'm now thinking we've fallen into the 'too good to be true' trap, and am berating myself for being incredibly stupid and not insisting that we pay more for a hotel and I cover the extra cost.

So, really, I just wondered if anyoine else has stayed in Holiday Inn Midtown and can reassure me that it won't be all that bad! Or booked rooms through Hotwire and managed to score two beds in the room.

I have and its lovely and I am sooo fussy

I promise its lovely,HUGE beds and I mean massive...comfy soft and most important,clean....nice bathrooms and the rooms themselves are Massive too....they have a coffee maker in room and tv is free so a bonus.

When you come out of hotel,turn right walk up a block and theres a deli on left which is lushious forn breakfast. Or go left from hotel,right at traffic lights walk along a block and a fantastic deli on left with such friendly guys....

HTH Bex

Chloe 13 years old and Amelia-Rose born 4/4/07

Gorgeous Harry born 18/04/10 5 weeks early after a nine minute labour!
    MFW currently paying £200 extra a month.
  • mynameisclare
    Options
    I have just booked tickets for Liberty/Ellis Island ferry, and their website seems a bit buggy - when I was entering the names to go on the tickets, it wouldn't let me put a different surname for the second one. I put in the correct names, but when I pressed continue, it changed to my surname on both.

Can I assume it doesn't actually matter what name is on the ticket?

Seriously unimpressed with that website!
  • tsoprano
    tsoprano Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone know the best way to go to the Statue of Liberty? I really want to go but there seems to be a lot of sites offering tickets - which is the best? Would it be a better idea to go as part of tour? Has anyone been on a tour that offered this and was it any good?
  • KayJ066
    KayJ066 Posts: 345 Forumite
    Options
    bexxie90 wrote: »
    I have and its lovely and I am sooo fussy

I promise its lovely,HUGE beds and I mean massive...comfy soft and most important,clean....nice bathrooms and the rooms themselves are Massive too....they have a coffee maker in room and tv is free so a bonus.

When you come out of hotel,turn right walk up a block and theres a deli on left which is lushious forn breakfast. Or go left from hotel,right at traffic lights walk along a block and a fantastic deli on left with such friendly guys....

HTH Bex

I'll second that. My sister and I stayed here March 2009. Nice big room, We had 2 queen beds. We thought it was quiet when we stayed.
    Oh, leave the hotel, turn left and walk to the end of the block, there is/was a great deli there, I forget the name but we went everyday for breakfast, lovely food and real friendly guys.
    Also, the hotel is in really close proximity to Central Park aswell, literally a few blocks away, and Tiffany is just up the road if you fancy some diamonds ;)
    We had no issue with bedbugs or the like, one thing though, dont order room service, its too expensive and they didn't pick our dirty plates up until the next morning.
  • greenface
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    tsoprano wrote: »
    Does anyone know the best way to go to the Statue of Liberty? I really want to go but there seems to be a lot of sites offering tickets - which is the best? Would it be a better idea to go as part of tour? Has anyone been on a tour that offered this and was it any good?

Is SOL open and fully tourist back now . When are you thinking of going to NYC & SoL .I thought it wasnt opening properly until about end of summer Aug/Sept time . ?? can anyone confirm this or know more details .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport