Everything & Anything New York City

Options

Comments

• delwynshd
    delwynshd Posts: 2,907 Forumite
    Options
    paulfoel wrote: »
    Why so insistent on British airline? IMHO american airlines are way superior anyway...

American Airlines far superior!! I would like to know what aircraft you were on lol

Del
    I am a Travel Agent

My company’s ABTA numbers are P6046. MSE doesn't check my status as a Travel Agent, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Travel Agent Code of Conduct.
  • Greenlight77
    Options
    Hi, we're going to New York in July for 3 nights (2 adults and 2 teenagers) staying in midtown Manhattan and then will be heading to New England to see friends near Boston and tour round. We will hire a car but are nervous about driving in Manhattan so were thinking that we'd hire one from the airport and get straight on the freeway - we're flying into JFK but I suppose we could pick up a car from another airport if that worked better. Depending how things go we may spend another night in New York at the end so wouldn't necessarily need to drop the car at JFK. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where would be best to hire a car, thanks
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Get the train from Central to North White Plains (about an hour, IIRC), hire from Hertz, return car to JFK or a.n.other airport.

This is a tip from I don't remember who, but it really really works: you're right that you don't need a car in Manhattan (and it would be horrid to drive, and parking is insane), but the Hertz place is no further from the station exit than the taxi rank at a decent sized UK station. It's quiet out there, so you can get used to driving something massive and automatic on the wrong side of the road. :wink:
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    delwynshd wrote: »
    American Airlines far superior!! I would like to know what aircraft you were on lol

Del

Some US Based airlines are superior (Delta in my opinion), but American Airlines themselves as a company are GAWD AWFUL, and I wholeheartedly agree with Del.

I did fly AA, and on the way back I knew my bag would be overweight. I was willing to pay the overweight fee, which worked out to be the same cost, as buying a new bag, and checking a second bag at that time.

The woman told me to empty things out, and I just said, I'll just pay the overweight fee, and she said, oh you can't do that, you have to empty it. I had to show her the page on the AA website that showed the charges, and I handed her my card.

I've never had bad service like that before, where she just didn't want to take my money. It's not a reason not to fly AA again, (because that would be petty), but the old aircraft, and lack of legroom is a reason and that's why I'll stick with Delta / KLM who always seem to be around the cheapest price!

M
  • Greenlight77
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Get the train from Central to North White Plains (about an hour, IIRC), hire from Hertz, return car to JFK or a.n.other airport.

This is a tip from I don't remember who, but it really really works: you're right that you don't need a car in Manhattan (and it would be horrid to drive, and parking is insane), but the Hertz place is no further from the station exit than the taxi rank at a decent sized UK station. It's quiet out there, so you can get used to driving something massive and automatic on the wrong side of the road. :wink:

Thanks that's great, we'll check it out
  • the_mackem
    the_mackem Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    ok been looking on this sight now for 4weeks and i must say a mine of information,right cut to the quick.looking for 5 nights dec 1st plus or minus 3 days,i have spoken to a travel co name shall be anon but its a flightcentre :wink: they quoted me virgin airlines £519 pounds, and 1257 5 nights cosmopolitan hotel
    and also the millenium hilton 1179 pounds is this a bit over the top? thanks guys and girls i will be posting more for your help.
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Flight really depends where in the world you fancy getting on the plane. £519 if your in the uk isnt bad for december.you possibly could get cheaper closer but lets be honest who knows what the fuels going to do any time soon !!! 1257 ? if thats £ and not $ is a little steep but M4rk has the cosmo on his friends and family list and knows how to get the best from the cosmo prices. Hopefully will be around to assist .
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • the_mackem
    the_mackem Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    hi greenface yes it is uk and it is in pounds i do hope mark can assist thanks greenface
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cosmo has had a bit of a refit and now isn't a "budget" hotel, but more of a "boutique" hotel. They've gone a bit more upmarket, and their prices are showing.

I don't know what is a good price, as I'm firmly in the belief that you should look at hotel prices in $ and per NIGHT. First week of December is probably the most expensive apart from New Years Eve, as everyone wants to head out to NYC for a pre christmas shopping trip. My advice is to delay the trip and go out after the 3rd Jan, because prices plummet, and you can get much more for your money when it comes to hotels.
  • guineapig
    guineapig Posts: 276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ellis Island:

We want to go there on our next trip ( which we have booked for October) I have read about the long wait to get on the ferry, I am good at waiting but as we are coming from waay up the upper east side ( 94 th) Where is there to ahem, erm, answer the call of nature when my bladder wants to give up it's morning cuppa?!! I know there are loos on the ferry and the Island, just thinking about the long wait ( added on to us leaving before rush hour so before 7 am).

Also can we buy the "timed tickets" in person a day or two or three before we plan on going? They mention about not taking big back packs through the "airport style" security, my other half is a keen photographer and also diabetic so we tend to have a moderate sized back pack with camera stuff and some eats/a drink for him, will this be a problem? is this not allowed or would the food be ok but not the water?

Any experiences/help appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport