PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What have you baked today?

Options

Comments

• Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,202 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Rhubarb cake! Just a sponge with cubes of rhubarb on then a crumble topping.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Frith wrote: »
    Rhubarb cake! Just a sponge with cubes of rhubarb on then a crumble topping.
    The topping must have been a good sweet / sharp contrast.

I made chocolate and orange flapjacks the other day. I melted a bar of very dark chocolate into the butter / golden syrup mixture, added microplaned orange peel, almonds, raisins and a huge amount of oats. The dry ingredients were still well covered with the chocolate syrup, and have kept them stored in the fridge.

They are not very buttery, nor very syrupy, but they are very crunchy! In fact they are much more like an oaty rocky road than flapjacks. Delicious and very more-ish, and a great way of using up a chocolate bar that wouldn't have been eaten otherwise.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »

I made chocolate and orange flapjacks the other day. I melted a bar of very dark chocolate into the butter / golden syrup mixture, added microplaned orange peel, almonds, raisins and a huge amount of oats. The dry ingredients were still well covered with the chocolate syrup, and have kept them stored in the fridge.

They are not very buttery, nor very syrupy, but they are very crunchy! In fact they are much more like an oaty rocky road than flapjacks. Delicious and very more-ish, and a great way of using up a chocolate bar that wouldn't have been eaten otherwise.

These sound delish but ... a chocolate bar that wouldn't have been eaten otherwise? Nah, can't believe that! :D
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,543 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Made bread to go with roasted veggie lasagne tonight

E151CD84-45B2-475D-8E9C-C921C21B3862_zpsinhfbqfx.jpg
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    YorksLass wrote: »
    These sound delish but ... a chocolate bar that wouldn't have been eaten otherwise? Nah, can't believe that! :D
    It was this, bought by my brother for its "healthy" properties.

excellence_85__1.png

I warned him it would be disgusting and it was, so he kindly donated it to my baking stash. It badly needed butter and sugar to bring it to life :D

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    VfM4meplse - You could always send it my way ;) I LOVE this chocolate! :D
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • mandco
    mandco Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 April 2017 at 10:30PM
    Options
    kboss2010 wrote: »
    I'm on a bit of a scone mission lately. I have cupboards of baking supplies and I buy a scone at work every Friday. They do really unusual sweet & savoury scones but, as I'm trying to seriously curb ALL frivolous spending to save for a new kitchen, every little helps.

That's an extra £30 a year I'd be spending on scones when I can make them. Sounds petty I know but that's a tap or a cupboard door or a few boxes of tiles. And I'm really bad at just saying "Oh, it's only X small sum" so I figure if I start getting really strict, I'll develop a new habit that will make me stop & think every time I buy a coffee instead of making one or buy a sandwich because I can't be bothered making lunch.

So I'm trying out making them using leftovers & use up my jam stashes because I rarely have toast for breakfast and don't eat jam with anything else - grated cheese, raisins, Apple, coconut, spiced, bacon bits & maple syrup... I'm trying to be innovative and less wasteful.

Sunday's scones were Christmas mixed sweet spice & raisin with cherry jam.

I think Thursday I'll make some cheese ones for my OH and some apple, coconut & raisin ones to use up my slightly past best apples. Then Sunday make banana & maple syrup to use up some bananas that I think will be slightly brown by then.

sound lovely
    what recipe do you use? ds loves scones but I've never quite mastered the homemade version

Baked some basic fairy cakes today for the kids to decorate.
    Not sure it really counts as baking but made some unicorn/fairy bark with them too.
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
  • freespirit66
    freespirit66 Posts: 3,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Today i have baked a Chocolate Sponge Cake with Chocolate Orange Icing
    #103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    This isn't technically a baking question, but I'm sure the knowledge lurks within regular posters to this thread!

I'm going to make a large chocolate Easter egg using a pair of moulds I bought RTC from Sainsbury's. I am used to making chocolate and getting a good result with silicone moulds, the issue is these moulds are metal. What's the best way of ensuring the chocolate doesn't stick to the mould? Experience tells me the faintest wipe of oil will do the job, but I am very wary of ending up with an oily-tasting finished product. I don't use the anti-sticking stuff for cake pans as it's based on a fish product, I am a strict vegetarian. What's the answer? TIA

• freespirit66
    freespirit66 Posts: 3,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Today I have made Coconut Fudgy Brownies
    #103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure