PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What have you baked today?

Options

Comments

• BOBS
    BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    maddiemay wrote: »
    My loaf of bread looks good, not cut it yet, but the boiled cake is [STRIKE]overcooked[/STRIKE] rather burned, I took a phone call which lasted a while and by the time I got to the oven it was too late. As I had already told DB there was a cake in the oven for him I had to set to at 8:30 and make something else, so two 2lb loaf tins called into action and 2 fruit cakes now cooling. Really annoyed with myself as I made it O.K. for vegetarians and those needing GF as I know that GF premixed blends work well with rich fruit cakes, but I was not sure about a lighter cake and couldn't risk it. The upside is that OH now has another huge cake to work his way through, he has tried it and pronounced it edible without custard::rotfl:

BOBS -it seems that we are both jinxed today:eek:

actually they were quite enjoyable without the dates. Made batch of 3 x 2lb loaves - only one left so the crew mustnt have had too many complaints.
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm on a bit of a scone mission lately. I have cupboards of baking supplies and I buy a scone at work every Friday. They do really unusual sweet & savoury scones but, as I'm trying to seriously curb ALL frivolous spending to save for a new kitchen, every little helps.

That's an extra £30 a year I'd be spending on scones when I can make them. Sounds petty I know but that's a tap or a cupboard door or a few boxes of tiles. And I'm really bad at just saying "Oh, it's only X small sum" so I figure if I start getting really strict, I'll develop a new habit that will make me stop & think every time I buy a coffee instead of making one or buy a sandwich because I can't be bothered making lunch.

So I'm trying out making them using leftovers & use up my jam stashes because I rarely have toast for breakfast and don't eat jam with anything else - grated cheese, raisins, Apple, coconut, spiced, bacon bits & maple syrup... I'm trying to be innovative and less wasteful.

Sunday's scones were Christmas mixed sweet spice & raisin with cherry jam.

I think Thursday I'll make some cheese ones for my OH and some apple, coconut & raisin ones to use up my slightly past best apples. Then Sunday make banana & maple syrup to use up some bananas that I think will be slightly brown by then.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    This is a pre-emptive post.

I bought some extra-hot Mexican cheese as it was on offer £5/kg as I quite like the regular version. Mistake, even the tiniest molecule has blown my head off! I quickly realised that it can only be consumed in v small doses so have grated it very finely and there it languishes in my fridge, but even sprinkling into a sandwich / on top of a salad is lethal!

My only options to use it up in chilli cheese scones / on a veggie pizza but I don't fancy turning the oven on this evening, now the weather has turned! Can someone on the thread can make an alternative suggestion?

http://www.motherthyme.com/2016/07/one-pot-cheesy-taco-pasta.html
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I made a tray of vegan flapjacks this morning. Portioned it up without touching a morsel, and donated to a good cause.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Skintmama
    Skintmama Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    Plum and orange crumble yesterday.
    Today Blueberry muffins
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Victoria sponge,
    Granary morning bars
    Chocolate brownie
    Ginger cake.

All except the granary bars have been sliced, wrapped and frozen.
  • bensmith1
    Options
    Today I bake simple chocolate muffins and recipe are here:
    Ingredients used in this recipe are
    1)2 cup all-purpose flour
    2)1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    3)1 Tbsp baking powder
    4)½ Tbsp baking soda
    5)½ Tbsp salt
    6)½ cup granulated sugar
    7)4 oz. semi sweet chocolate
    8)5 tbsp. unsalted butter
    9)1¼ cup buttermilk
    10)1 egg
    11)1 Tbsp vanilla
    12)4 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips.
    For baking perfect muffin, always use Cast Iron Muffin Pan
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    role reversal today - daughter baked & I got to lick the bowl ;)

from Waitrose April recipe sheets - swirled Easter brownies. They're part brownie & part caramel cheesecake.

Tad sweet for me but lovely, dense & chocolatey - almost perfect breakfast :rotfl:
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Rich coconut tarts, recipe from my Bero book that I've had for years and wouldn't part with. My mum used to make these and they always make me think of her. :)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Today I made lemon curd cake and a banana bread. Cooked them, sliced them and kept a couple of sliced but wrapped and froze the rest.
    I now have a carrier bag in the freezer with a selection of individual slices of cake.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure