PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

What have you baked today?

Options

Comments

• babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Suppose you could use sweetener. Home made is a world away from tinned.
    :hello: :wave: please play nicely children !
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    After reading, I had to make some too, I used half evaporated milk, half semi skimmed and only 20g of sugar as the evaporated milk was sweet enough.

Thank you for the reminder :D
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    babyblooz wrote: »
    Suppose you could use sweetener. Home made is a world away from tinned.
    I just don't want to tempt myself back to a carving sweet taste full stop, Lord knows it was hard enough to quit.

We had a Macmillan coffee morning yesterday, I didn't look at the cakes too hard but nothing was of interest.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    Islandmaid wrote: »
    After reading, I had to make some too, I used half evaporated milk, half semi skimmed and only 20g of sugar as the evaporated milk was sweet enough.

Thank you for the reminder :D
    Ladies, you're ruining my life! I suppose if I added a few raisins raisins and finely shredded carrot it would do the trick. It's calcium after all :D

Eta: it will be a good excuse to use my new microplane

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    So today was a mixed day, the baking was not good. I made pizza from scratch using this dough recipe, and my family hated it. (The toppings were fine and the house smelled amazing, but we agreed that a base should have much more fat and be less bread-like).

I also made the rice pudding as intended. I tasted it whilst warm and it was ok but noticably not sweet. It was well chilled by the time we had dessert, and I served it with sachets of sugar on the side so the family could see how much they were adding to make it palatable. Incredibly they didn't use the sugar (although my dad didn't refuse the offer of chopped banana with it :D), they said it was lovely. So much so that there was very little left for me! Or perhaps they were just hungry after the pizza fail? So I packaged it up and sent it home, as I know it was appreciated.

The left over pizza (there was a it of it) was sliced up and frozen. I'm happy to eat it in small doses.

• freespirit66
    freespirit66 Posts: 3,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Today i made Caramac Fancies
    #103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I made some buttermilk rolls and a carrot cake and for the very first time ever I made the topping. 50g crème fraiche, 50g Philadelphia cheese and 15g icing sugar, just enough. It was very nice.
  • FrugalinShropshire
    Options
    While the oven was on this evening for the chips, I made a coconut cake and a rice pudding.
    Now Mrs FrugalinShropshire:T Proud to be mortgage and debt free:j
  • DWhite
    DWhite Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 10 October 2016 at 9:25PM
    Options
    Today I tried something new which worked out really well. Cinnamon and cranberry swirl scones. They look a lot like cinnamon whirls/Cinnabon. Not as sickly sweet though.
    It's basic scone mix which I put some dried cranberries in because I had them in the house. Rolled out the dough into a rough rectangle around 1cm thick. Mixed melted butter, brown sugar and cinnamon and spread that on the dough. Rolled it and sliced it using a sharp knife dipped in flour to stop it dragging though the dough and giving the scones the rise. Placed cut side up on the baking tray and baked.
    Once they'd cooled I drizzled some icing over them, though 4 had already been snaffled by DP at that point!
  • DWhite
    DWhite Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    So today was a mixed day, the baking was not good. I made pizza from scratch using this dough recipe, and my family hated it. (The toppings were fine and the house smelled amazing, but we agreed that a base should have much more fat and be less bread-like).

V4M - pizza dough doesn't need much fat as a rule, just olive oil is enough. I usually make a basic dough recipe just using strong flour, yeast, salt, sugar and olive oil. Works fine, it's usually a Jamie Oliver recipe I follow I think.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure