PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

What have you baked today?

Options

Comments

• purpledonkey
    purpledonkey Posts: 6,997 Forumite
    Options
    Anne_Marie wrote: »
    Am in awe of some of these beautiful cakes that you all bake, well done ladies, you are an inspiration.

I don't do much in the baking line, other than scones, and savoury dishes, as sweet things end up in the bin, so not worth bothering. Am in the mind to make some meringues though, as I bought some lovely strawberries, and as it's the season just now, I really should make an effort. Does anyone have a foolproof meringue recipe please, as it's been years since I've made them, and no idea what recipe I used? No rush as I won't have time until next week.

My baking this week has been a load of quiches, some cheese and onion, and the others roast onion, pepper and tomatoes with spinach and cheese. Some given to friends, and the rest portioned and into the freezer. Also some lemonade scones, pizza dough and the usual bread making. I normally make cheese and oat bread from the Panasonic book, but made a brown gluten free with seeds this week to try out, as I have a friend who has problems with gluten. It turned out fine, but was heavier than what I normally make, but apparently this is supposedly normal with gluten free bread. Suppose one advantage was that I could only eat one slice rather than two!

You're making me crave quiche now, they sound delicious!

For meringues, simple (ish) method I use is:

- Preheat oven to lowest setting and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
    - Weigh 2-3 egg whites into a bowl (a very clean, grease free metal/glass bowl)
    - Weigh the same amount of granulated sugar into the same bowl
    - In a separate bowl weigh the same amount again of sifted icing sugar
    - Over a bain marie on a low-medium heat, whisk the egg whites and granulated sugar until the sugar has fully dissolved
    - Take off the heat and continue whisking. When it reaches soft peaks add the icing sugar in three additions and continue whisking until stiff peaks form. The mixture should look smooth and glossy.
    - Pipe or spoon onto the baking tray.
    - Two options for cooking/drying out are putting the tray on the lowest shelf and leaving it for 1-2 hours (depending on the size and height of meringue - if they are small and flat, 40 minutes should be enough, if they are high and dense it can take up to 2 hours).
    - Or turn your oven off, put the tray on the lowest shelf and leave them overnight.

I hope this makes sense, it's honestly easier than it sounds :o
    'I solemnly swear that I am up to no good'
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks so much Purpledonkey, will give it a bash next week.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 9 April 2016 at 1:28PM
    Options
    Thanks Purps - and re:m&m's - I will admit to having to quality control some ;). The teens loved it anyway, still lots left over as apparently lager and chocolate cake is a bit of an acquired taste :D

Ann-Marie - I make a cold meringue - with 3 egg whites in a very clean bowl, till stiff then add a teaspoon of vinegar and 300g caster sugar slowing while still mixing - goes all shiney:). The cooking is the same as PD. The only tip I use is to clean the bowl round with lemon jiuce or vinegar before adding egg whites to ensure its grease free - good luck and post pictures :T

The vinegar in the mix makes sure you have a chewy middle BTW.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,713 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I made the apple cake from mortgage free in threes blog. It's never let me down yet. I took it out of the oven and was letting it cool admiring my efforts, when my daughter came home. Her friend had baked a cake and sent her home with some. It was twice as high as mine and beautifully decorated.
    My husband said it didn't taste any better than my sponge, but I think he was being nice.....
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Islandmaid wrote: »
    Thanks Purps - and re:m&m's - I will admit to having to quality control some ;)
    I believe the ideal ratio is one in three :)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • freespirit66
    freespirit66 Posts: 3,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Today i have made some Jaffa Cake cupcakes, i am going to have to make the kids take some into work tomorrow as i dont want them sitting around while i am dieting :D
    #103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm debating making a coconut flour banana loaf, however my loaf tin is in a box somewhere from my recent move so they may be muffins instead :D
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,410 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The cake looks yummy.

I baked roasted vegetables with chicken, chorizo and smoked paprika. Served with roastie potatoes.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Today i have made some Jaffa Cake cupcakes, i am going to have to make the kids take some into work tomorrow as i dont want them sitting around while i am dieting :D
    How do you replicate the orangey element?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    How do you replicate the orangey element?

Not tried these myself, but look good.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/homemadejaffacakes_91480
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills