Starting my DMP on 1st Feb... Anyone want to join me?

Options

Comments

• true27
    true27 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tedsd wrote: »
    Receiving 2 hourly calls from Creation/Adams, It's a Sunday Grrrr!

Pull the plug my love :)
    Paddle #8 DFW Nerd #1284
  • nataz
    nataz Posts: 435 Forumite
    Options
    kaths101 wrote: »
    Hi, Ive just got my letter from CCCs saying ive been accepted for a DMP, does that mean it starts in February? and do i Pay anymore off my credit cards etc even though the lenders wont have had the letter about the DMP yet?
    Also i am about to send off all the info, statements, wage slips etc - do they just require photocopies? or do they have to be originals.
    Thanks

I just sent the photocopies and have spoke to them since and everything seems to be ok.

Im not sure if you would be starting feb or not, I was expecting to but havent had my pack although when I spoke to them on wed they were doing it that day so might just be lost in post! I intend on assuming I am until Ive spoken to CCCS to confirm. If needs be I can send another token payment for febs bills, I cancelled all direct debits so they cant get anymore than that and if they ring asking for more just say you are dealing with CCCS, give them the ref number and say thats all you can afford for now. Bascially just keep blagging until its all set up.

Thanks PDD for the info, shame they arent open at weekends!

I had a call today from 0845 number but I didnt answer it in time so dont know who it was. Think my phone has been pretty quiet compared to others, but this is the first time Ive not made the min payments, Im sure my time will come though
    Debt at LBM - £11,505
    Debt 2011 = [STRIKE]8K[/STRIKE] £7760 - DF in July 2013
    DMP Paddle no. 1 Sealed Pot No. 1375
    Grocery Challenge Aug £418.31/£450 Sept £ /£450
  • GrissomsGirl73
    Options
    Don't want to hijack the thread as we're not on a DMP but with quite a lot of debt (right side of £50k but wrong side of £40k) I'm thinking it's the only way out. Is it really the best thing? OH needs to be convinced. I'm scared of entering into it but think it's the only way. How do you buy stuff online without a credit card? We want to to to Florida after paying off debts but is that sort of thing possible without a good credit score? Is there a thread better suited to asking these questions? Thanks.
  • nataz
    Options
    Don't want to hijack the thread as we're not on a DMP but with quite a lot of debt (right side of £50k but wrong side of £40k) I'm thinking it's the only way out. Is it really the best thing? OH needs to be convinced. I'm scared of entering into it but think it's the only way. How do you buy stuff online without a credit card? We want to to to Florida after paying off debts but is that sort of thing possible without a good credit score? Is there a thread better suited to asking these questions? Thanks.

Hi GrissomsGirl first of all a big :T for making it this far. Im in no way an expert and Im sure there are others on the general debt-free thread that would be able to answer your questions but as far as taking the first step and getting your debts sorted I think that speaking to someone like CCCS is the best way, but of course it depends a lot on your situation. Your debt wont magically disappear. Ive learned that the hard way.
    Yes this will affect your credit rating, but Im sure you'll know that not being able to meet payments esp for important things like mortgage, council tax etc will affect your rating just as much.
    I do think there is life after debt and you can buy online at most stores with paypal and visa debit if you can get an account with that (A&L have it), Im sure there are other ways as well.
    I guess the best way to think, is that this is where you remove the need for credit at all. I know thats the one thing Ive found the hardest to get my head around. But there are those, and Im hoping to be one of them, that can live without the need to purchase things with credit. Holidays included.
    Hope thats given you something to think about and feel free to hyjack anytime :j
    Debt at LBM - £11,505
  • kaths101
    kaths101 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    Well Ive spent tonight writing out all my letters to creditors ready for posting tomorrow. Im hoping to have details of my new bank account soon so that I can cancel my direct debits and make sure my wages go into the new account - this is worrying me a bit because I dont want to mess up my direct debits for my rent/council tax etc. I have until the 5th before my next D/D goes out so have a bit of time!
    Good luck everyone that is going through the DMP process - Im at the very beginning but Im so glad to be reading others are in the same boat!! I have this for over 5 years arrrgggghhh
  • pure_dead_dopey
    Options
    morning

I think you are running out of time for Feb. it takes approximately ten days to set up a DD and approx three to cancel. So if you take that in to account, I would leave everything with your existing bank until your main DDs are paid in Feb then change after that. Most new banks will help with the changes although I just sat and phoned ours through, everybody took it on the phne then confirmed dates etc in writing. Well done for getting started.:T
    More than Two Years in

Doing it the Niddy way:j:j:j

• true27
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    :hello: Morning All!
    kaths101 wrote: »
    - Im at the very beginning but Im so glad to be reading others are in the same boat!! I have this for over 5 years arrrgggghhh

Kaths101 - I'm jealous! We've got 10 years+ :o:rotfl: at least we're all here together :D

Had a bit of good-ish news this morning, DS has football after school so he doesn't need picking up until 4.30 - so please may I postpone the positive vibes a bit this afternoon? I'm going to go it alone, there are only a handful of mum's there after football and they are mostly the nice ones :p

Off to spruce-moose the house, got estate agents round this morning :cool:

Happy Monday all!
    Paddle #8 DFW Nerd #1284
  • true27
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tedsd wrote: »

A quick food question, we eat tons of tinned tomatoes a week so in new budgeting mode :D I bought 'own brand tins' and Ugh, few toms at bottom of tin and watery tomato juice... anyone tried any good ones????

True27, the positive vibe slot has been moved to 4.30pm and Good Luck!

Thanks Ted!

Re: the toms, do you use them for spag bol/chili etc? I tend to use passata with a splodge of tommy puree becuase DB doesn't like lumps! Best place to ask that question is over on the Old Style board. What those peeps don't know about budget food isn't worth knowing!
    Paddle #8 DFW Nerd #1284
  • nataz
    Options
    Morning and welcome Kaths101.

I would second pure dead dopey, prob not enough time to change everything before feb. I would recommend that as soon as one goes out you ring and change it, that should give you enough time to get started in march. Always best to leave about 2 weeks for them to get set up. Unless you have a large overdraft and can risk the change over. Its so easy to do it by phone or on the net, doing it through your bank takes a lot longer up to 4-6 weeks!

Spoke to CCCS this morning re no show of pack, apparently it has been released and it should be with me soon so all go for Feb.

ted - tesco do a tin of toms, not the value one (yuk) think its a dark green tin and they're really nice :)

HUGE good luck true, let us know how you get on
    Debt at LBM - £11,505
  • iwillgetoutofdebt
    Options
    tedsd, I find Sainsburys own brand tinned toms are good. Lidls is good for passata.

I had letters today from Mint regarding my "serious situation" and "lack of payment" and telling me that they would be letting the credit references know about my non payment. I would be worried if I didn't realise that it was a computer generated letter, and that I don't ever want credit again. I wonder when I will start to receive letters from my creditors regarding my DMP? I guess January/February is probably the busiest time for them.

There is a good website whocallsme.com where you can enter any numbers logged on your phone and find out who they were. I am getting strangely obsessed by which creditor phoned when and how often (even though they don't get through to me).
    £365 in 365 days - £187/£365
    DMP Mutual Support Thread Member 343
    Debt Free Date January 2015 :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills