Great 'Big Freeze Tips' Hunt

Comments

• mislet wrote: »
    When you walk on ice don't make sudden movements, don't suddenly change direction or stop. Move slowly and deliberately: don't run. Anticipate what's ahead and take early action.
    Now try DRIVING following these principles. It's not difficult, just alien to the way many people drive!

And an additional aid for driving is to drive one gear higher than normal. And pull away in second. You don't need power in snow, you need grip and driving like this will help.
    "Some say the cup is half empty, while others say it is half full. However, this is skirting around the issue. The real problem is that the cup is too big."
  • Waymon wrote: »
    As a lifelong sufferer of Reynaud's Syndrome I have learned how to keep warm. Trouble is, living where winters have been mild for the past few years I've forgotten to practice all that knowledge until I made the mistake of walking out wearing leather gloves. 20 mins later I thought my hands would fall off, the pain was excrutiating. I knew better than wear wellies, these too are no good for people with this condition. So what is?

How did you cure the pain?

A few years ago I had been out in the cold and suffered the associated pain. I presumed this was as a result of my hands warming too quickly. I tried, as an experiment, dipping my hands in cold to freezing water. :eek:

Result the pain quickly went away and I let my hands warm slowly.

Note: I do not know if this works for the chronic condition.

Obviously prevention is better than the cure.
  • Kerfuffle
    Kerfuffle Posts: 1,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 21 January 2010 at 11:22AM
    jaydax wrote: »
    If there's even the slightest possibility that you may get stranded in a snow bound car take a couple of broad based candles with you. Nightlights work well. The small amount of heat from them makes all the difference and the flame cheers you up and lets rescuers know you are there. I learnt this in Canada.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

On the discussion of candles and night-lights in the car.

I would advise washing out a tin can (make sure there are no jagged edges first), approx size of medium sized baked bean tin and using this to hold the candles. One candle per can.

It's deep enough to contain the melted wax and it also gives you something to hold onto to warm your hands.

Not sure I would encourage leaving a candle/night-light unattended though, but the can would give a better stable base.
  • Kandipandi wrote: »
    Cheap cat litter works a bit like rock salt for gritting your drive/lane. (obviously unused!!)
    We used this but it make your shoes filthy, we have a porch which was just covered in cat litter sludge by the end of the snow.
  • geojay wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure what a nightlight is but if they're like tea lights with the metal case I'd be very cautious. Tea-lights are very dangerous if not used in a candle holder of some sort. Unlike a candle, the wax in a tea-light is liquid when the tea-light is burning which means the metal case gets incredibly hot. This could conceivably catch fire to a dashboard if placed directly on it. A car fire is a very nasty thing, cars are full of plastics and rubbers which give off toxic fumes when burnt not to mention burn very quickly!
    I melted the kitchen windowsill with a tealight. Had to cover it with a plant when selling the house. Definitely use something to insulate UNDER the tealight, if you use one - anywhere. Apparently they can cause bath fires when left on the side of plastic baths.
  • nettoner wrote: »
    We used this but it make your shoes filthy, we have a porch which was just covered in cat litter sludge by the end of the snow.

The key was to use gritty cat-litter NOT the Fullers Earth or clay-based ones which will and do turn to muddy sludge when they're wet. For future reference, if your ice and snow has now thawed Tesco make a gritty cat-litter which is red-coloured but I can't for the life of me remember what it's called at the moment.

My local B&Q had LOTS of grit and sharp sand in stock during the recent freeze but the sacks were so heavy I couldn't even lift one never mind get it home. Luckily I had plenty of salt in my stock-cupboard or the external stairs to my flat would have been a death-trap.
  • MoveOver
    MoveOver Posts: 15 Forumite
    My Landlord installed a new gas boiler and central hearing. We had a electricity failure and the gas central heating shut down because it is regulated by an electric control box! I purchased a Greenhouse paraffin heater from Argos for £20.
    Please do not seal every hole against draughts unless you have a gas detector to warn you when the Oxygen has fallen to dangerous levels. This can happen very quickly and without warning in a sealed and heated space so you will drift off into a cosy and permanent sleep.
    My Mother used to pack all the coal dust into an empty soap box and damp it to make a long burning brick.
    I used to work in a Bar and collected all the dregs from the shorts glasses. This made excellent car screen wash.
  • dipsy81
    dipsy81 Posts: 611 Forumite
    First Post
    Yes MoreOver< my mum used to make the fire up at night with coal and then cover it all with the used ashes> Then in the morning we used to just rake the ashes through the grate, put more coal on and hey presto we had a fire already made. Plus it used to keep the room warm overnight so it wasn't freezing cold. Oh those were the days.
  • Having resides in Canada for 5 years I got used to driving in snow & ice. The best advice I can give is to reduce tyre pressures by about 5 to 10 psi (on 32 psi) depending on size of car, that gives you more grip & also start off in the highest gear possible & imagine you have a raw egg on the gas pedal & make all movements in slow motion.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Not directly moneysaving, more practical, but it would save money too: in our rural area very badly affected by ice and snow this time not every one has access to a 4x4 or tractor. If you do and can get in and out its worth calling on neighbours who don't to see if they need anything, or conversely calling neighbours who do have one if you need something and the roads aren't safe. I was kept very seriously busy driving older neighbours to GPs and hospital, and doing shopping. It was actually easier when people called me asking for things ''tomorrow, or soon'' than going around to everyone, because I could plan trips to be most fuel efficient.

This was good because the roads were less busy and thus less chance of coming across some one to hit/be hit by and people were able to either stay in and warm or have a lift somewhere in a comparitively safe way (our roads weren't very safe to walk on).

Also note that some of us are happy to pull people out of ditches and hedges, but if you call more than once for a tow then it would be nice to give a note of thanks!

I was delighted to be useful to many of my friends and neighbours. :) As a return favour some one is doing some animal sitting for me for a weekend, so I can go away!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure