Great 'Big Freeze Tips' Hunt

Comments

• Campo1988
    Campo1988 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 13 January 2010 at 5:05PM
    I have some tips. 1 which I saw a neighour had done.

For his car, he had put a blanket of some sort over the front of the car, I assume to help keep his engine from freezing up or something.

What I do, is when in bed, I jump inside my quilt sheet/cover - the part which has an opening at one side where you put your quilt into, I jump inside there, with the quilt still inside, but on top of me. I close up the top (by scrunching it up and placing it under me, better than just buttoning it up) and lay similar to the fetal position. When I am warm enough/uncomfortable, I move to keep me comfy, but still inside the sheet/cover. Body heat and breath keeps me nice and warm. For added effect use hot water bottle (but don't scald yourself) and/or other blankets. I also have started wearing trousers tucked into the top 2 out of 3 layers of socks, and wearing them to bed as well - also work as an extra layer during the cold days as well with other trousers on top, not tucked in (so you don't look silly!).

Other things which I think can help:

Get yourself a flask. I have a steel one which keeps hot drinks hot and cold drinks cold, allegedly - I haven't tried cold drinks with it. It keeps hot for about 12 hours I think it says, then it says after 24 hours it is warm. I don't think it is as good as that, utit still keeps hot for a good-enough amount of time.

When I was away with a friend to another city, either for her graduation, or to see a film at a cinema, I and her dad bought a dynamo-operated torch, from The Pound Shop, or Superpound, or whatever you call it. There is a lever which you press several times, which then stores the power it makes in the dynamo/battery inside (already supplied), and a switch to actually turn the 2 bulbs on and off. Since they are so cheap, why not purchase a few of them? They are good for the dark/power cut, etc... Perhaps you could go crazy and not use any electrical light at all and use these as well as candles?! That'd save some money I'm sure! I'd recommend getting a good amount of mirrors though, to reflect the light.

Another idea I had, but which I have not done, is with your quilt/covers/blankets, wrap them up around a hot water bottle or a few, for maybe an hour or less before getting into bed, unwrap them, and they should be toasty warm! (Also apply my juming-inside technique as well if you are really cold!)

I have also used my dressing gown, (because I don't have a proper draft-catcher/stopper) on the bottom of my door - originally to stop light from going out of my door, but now it helps I guess at least a little bit with stopping drafts.

I remember my mother at one time had some plastic sheets of some sort up at the windows.

Of course, try filling in holes and gaps with polyfilla/similar. I would suggest sticking some form of tape (sello/duct/masking, etc...) down over cracks/holes/gaps, but it may be too much hassle.

Perhaps you could try walking around in football trainers in the snow/ice? I'm not perfectly sure about the ones with steel studs though.

Thinsulate is good. Someone told me they have and wear their Thinsulate hiking boots when going out. I don't have any, but I reckon they'd keep your feet nice and warm. I do have some Thinsulate gloves though. Why not put on a thinner pair of gloves, such as 1* with thicker gloves on top, such as 2**? With the Thinsulate-insulation, and the layers, it would help some.

There is a good little spirit burner you can use, and make yourself, which is a semi-replacement for heating up liquids and perhaps roasting marshmallows etc... I remember it from a Science experiment book I got as a kid, which I actually still have (I'm only 21!) called How Science Works, by Judith Hann. ISBN: 0-75131-083-2. 3*** Due to copyright, I cannot actually tell you how to make the spirit burner, but the 'ingredients' are a glass jar with a lid, a wick, some cotton lint (bandage) and methylated spirit, and of course a match and a grill of some sort.

Since I cannot post links as a new member, gonna have to do these instead:
    1*
    • Google Images 'thin gloves'
    • Click the third image with the blue glove (robertcarlsen) then click 'See full size image'

2**
    • The same as 1, but click the 20th image (cozywinters) then click 'See full size image'

3***
    • Google 'How to search for an ISBN'
    • The first result should be 'isbndb.com - free ISBN database', click it
    • Under 'Enter keywords, book title, author, publisher, topic or ISBN:' enter 0-75131-083-2 then hit search
    • On the left should be a preview of the book, click the image to go to Amazon.

'How Science Works (Eyewitness Science Guides) (Hardcover)' That's the book. If you purchase it or can borrow the book, go to page 10, the spirit burner is on there.

Enjoy!...

If a Mod could add the links to the other sites for me, it'd make my post a lot clearer. Please!
  • ani_ka0 wrote: »
    Best tip I have been given so far is to wear freezer bags between shoes and socks, it keeps your feet dry when walking in the snow. So if you do have to walk in the snow, you do not have wet feet all day!

I had a thought that you could use plastic shopping bags for this, but your idea is better. :) [Insert :thumbup: emoticon here]
  • if your house has good insulation, ie loft / cavity / double glazing etc, consider keeping your central heating on 24 hours every day during cold spells - i have done this over past few years and have been able to turn down the room stat by at least 7 degrees C as the house has kept its temp and avoided extreme lows and highs when using a timer. adjust down even further when out or in bed.
    my running costs are the same but i avoid burst pipes etc.
  • Little_Vics
    Little_Vics Posts: 1,516 Forumite
    sounds a bit stupid, but I put my socks on before I get out from under my duvet! If my feet are warm I feel much better. I also get everything ready for the following day before I go to bed (lay out clothes, make lunch, pack bag) so I don't faff around in the cold mornings.
  • ani_ka0 wrote: »
    Best tip I have been given so far is to wear freezer bags between shoes and socks, it keeps your feet dry when walking in the snow. So if you do have to walk in the snow, you do not have wet feet all day!

Your feet might not get wet from the snow and ice but they're guaranteed to get damp and sweaty inside the plastic. A much better idea would be to wear something suitable, like hiking boots with thermal socks and change once you get indoors.
  • liz545
    liz545 Posts: 1,726 Forumite
    If you feel the cold, sleep with socks on - the skin on your feet is thinner, and many people have poor circulation which leads to cold extremities.

TK Maxx tend to have year-round stocks of reasonably priced ski jackets and the like, and a warm, waterproof jacket is essential.

Start the day with a hot breakfast - porridge, eggs on toast, etc - and if practical, travel to work with a thermos cup of tea/coffee - it'll keep you warm on the inside.

Waterproof gloves are better than woolly ones, so go for leather gloves with a warm lining, or thinsulate.
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps! :j
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hats are a must - even in bed sometimes.
  • Titch28
    Titch28 Posts: 97 Forumite
    If you have a 'real' fire put the old ash on the ice to provide a grip and melt the ice, its better than salt and environmentally friendly
  • Golf shoes are another option when walking in the icy conditions. Just remember to take your normal shoes with you to change into.
    Always looking for a bargain :j
  • That's weird I was just going to say the same about the pot ash from the fire but it took me a while to remember my login details and supper intervened! I would suggest you leave the last metre or so cleared by some other means so the muck can be stamped off your feet before you reach the inside of the house!
    Other money saving tips for the ash - add a little to homemade compost to reduce its acidity, dilute it with plenty water for fertiliser (potassium rich, but strongly alkaline if too concentrated - watch your skin) or if you fancy a real messy project boil it with fat from meat or vegetable oil for soap... no on second thoughts that's really too messy (though they do make soap like this in rural Africa).
    Savings on the way into the fire - burn everything that burns and get in the habit of buying only stuff made from wood - when it is knackered add it to the fire. We burn lollipop sticks, old broken furniture, old bitsof fence (our and others), rotten bits cut from boats, carpentry off cuts, garden trimmings from a finger width upwards, corks (the real ones), pringles tubes, loo roll insides, etc to start our fires and so save the traditional newspaper ( the few we buy) for the re-cycling... have I gone off topic very badly? Then I'll shut up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure