Great 'Big Freeze Tips' Hunt

Comments

• Fix dripping taps or put a bowl or plug in the sink :p

Make sure you know where the water stop valve is NOW and check that you can easily turn it off in case of frozen or burst pipes.

Put a spare blanket or duvet on top of your mattress rather than over you, it keeps you warmer.

Defrost the freezer so you can fit more food in (ideal time to do it as the food will keep fine out in the snow for hours) and make soup/ have a feast with all the odds and ends you find.

Use a slow cooker to make effortless casseroles while you are out or busy. If you do use the oven for anything, make some scones or cakes while it's on to save on fuel.

Don't eat yellow snow.
  • gmgmgm
    gmgmgm Posts: 511 Forumite
    ixwood wrote: »
    Sorry, but that's just not true. It's a myth and one that some people really seem to struggle to understand (there are lot so discussions on this on here).

ixwood is absolutely right. Don't put your heating on continuously- the simplified rationale is you don't need to heat the house while you are away. Obviously avoid the house freezing.

Lots of advice here: but don't necessarily assume a poster on an anonymous forum is an expert! e.g. wrapping your feet in plastic bags... not a good idea to do this for the whole day, though well-meant and probably useful for wading through a stream.

Best tip I will pass on: if you have proper sash windows, use a blunt knife to push clingfilm into the gaps around the window to stop draughts. Leave some gaps for ventilation of the room, otherwise you will get damp. (A major cause of damp in houses is lack of ventilation). Done properly, you will not see any clingfilm around the window. In the spring, remove the clingfilm before trying to open the window.

Edited to say: a slow cooker is essentially an inefficiently heated casserole dish. Don't buy a slow cooker: use your casserole dish and oven for what they're designed for.
  • Mupette
    Mupette Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    Tesco's are currently selling snow shovels for £5.00

If the weather report says don't go out in the car unless its an emergency.... then listen.

If you can walk somewhere (safely) then walk rather than drive if it's in walking distance.

Think of your elderly and disabled neighbours... if they can't get out, are they ok and do they need anything.

Not one person apart from my partner has popped in to check i have everything i need. If i do i need to wait until DS has finished school for the day and partner can come over to see me (if he isn't snowed in himself)

And a nice hot soak in the bath soon warms you up
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
  • Flearoy
    Flearoy Posts: 274 Forumite
    I'm also leaving a tealight in its little glass dish in the footwell of the car when it is parked

I'm sure this tip might work but I can't imagine insurers paying out to readily for a burnt-out car caused by someone leaving a candle on in it... Exercise caution!
    Skip dipper and proud....
  • Glamazon
    Glamazon Posts: 8,401 Forumite
    I have some IKEA cheap fleece blankets underneath my bottom sheet on my bed and it has made it much warmer this winter. I also pop a fleece blanket over the top of the duvet. Make a hot water bottle and while I'm using the bathroom wrap my PJ's in it so they are toasty when I put them on. Always wear big thick socks to bed and pop the hot water bottle either against my tummy or between my thighs - within 20mins I'm usually roasting and our bedroom gets down to about 12 degrees at night even though I have fleece lined the curtains.

Baby wears a long sleeved vest, fleecy sleepsuit, 2.5tog sleeping bag and thick scratch mitts but he pulls them off so was waking with cold hands at around 4am! When it was really cold I also put a blanket over his sleeping bag although you shouldn't really do this.

Always have a blanket in the car and if going on long journeys make sure you have some chocolate or biscuits with you to keep your sugar levels up and plenty of water as well.

I read the cat litter thing for ice on the Met Office website but forgot to get some. I need dishwasher salt for my dishwasher but it's all sold out! :mad:

ETA - after cooking, leave the oven door open and let all the heat out. Warms my cold kitchen up a treat!
    A very busy Yummy Mummy to a 1 year old gorgeous boy :smileyhea

Where does the time go? :think:
  • When you walk on ice don't make sudden movements, don't suddenly change direction or stop. Move slowly and deliberately: don't run. Anticipate what's ahead and take early action.
    Now try DRIVING following these principles. It's not difficult, just alien to the way many people drive!
  • If you're thinking about leaving a lit tea light in a vehicle overnight, consider the risk and reduce it by putting the tea light in a shallow dish of water and covering it with an inverted terracotta plant pot - the ones with the hole in the bottom (top when inverted.

The plant pot will radiate more of the heat and the water will extinguish the flame, if the car is moved suddenly by a passing vehicle or wind.

The tea light under a plant pot can also be used to keep a dish of water unfrozen for the birds in the garden!

Other essential kit for the car has already been mentioned above, but they are worth repeating.

Spade, Sleeping Bag / Blanket, Food, Hit & Cold Drinks, Torch - wind up is better, Phone and Car Charger, Fuses - I had a 10amp go the other day when my windscreen washer pump froze and that also stopped me unlocking the tailgate. Old Car Floor mats for grip. Gas Cigarette Lighter to warm the key if the locks are frozen. If you have an internet-enabled phone, make a note of the Highways Agency web address - I can't seem to put links in :(, but it is www dot highways dot gov dot uk/mobile/ also Traffic Scotland www dot trafficscotland dot org/weather/index dot aspx and the Met Office www dot metoffice dot gov dot uk (I hope you can work these out!)

The AA Roadwatch phone number from a mobile is 401100, but charges are quite high, so a list of the frequencies of local radio stations would be useful for the area you are traveling in.
    Regards

Ric
  • terry2
    terry2 Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Quote:Originally Posted by plimsoll viewpost.gif
    Keep your central heating on low constantly rather than short periods at a higher setting - the biggest cost is heating the water initially, keeping it warm requires less energy.

ixwood wrote: »
    Sorry, but that's just not true. It's a myth and one that some people really seem to struggle to understand (there are lot so discussions on this on here).

Whether it is a myth or not depends crucially on the building contruction.

However in a normal brick house with wall insulation (and draughtproofing and loft insulation) it is probably NOT a myth. If you keep the temperature constant the inner WALLS heat up and can act as storage radiators. However when you heat for part of the time, a the inner walls are at a lower temperature and effectively radiate cold. So people feel cold and have to use a higher temperature setting.

Much testing over an extended period gave the result for my house that keeping the heating on all the time with a thermostat setting down by one degree cost about the same as having the heating on part time. Furthermore dropping the temperature by two degress resulted in a cost saving and because all the inner walls were warm I still felt nice and cosy.
  • ixwood
    ixwood Posts: 2,550 Forumite
    Heating a house when you're not there, can never be cheaper. If you went away for a year, would you leave your heating on? What about a month? A week? A day?
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Wear a hoodie in bed - you will be a snuggly and not only that - sleep like a baby.
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills