Great 'Big Freeze Tips' Hunt

12345679»

Comments

• Just a point about Yaktrax, the grips that you put on the bottom of your shoes/boots to walk in the ice/snow. I had them recommended to me by a friend, so bought some to use when it started snowing, and they're great. However, they're actually dangerous on some surfaces - I had a nasty fall at our local bus station, my feet just went from under me and I sat down rather suddenly, couldn't work out why until I tried to stand up and discovered ym Yaktrax have absolutely no grip at all on the tiled floor! So from then on I wore them to walk to the bus station, but had to take them off my boots before I went in, then put them back on after I got off at the other end.
    OS weight loss challenge: 4.5/6 lbs
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Just a point about Yaktrax, the grips that you put on the bottom of your shoes/boots to walk in the ice/snow. I had them recommended to me by a friend, so bought some to use when it started snowing, and they're great. However, they're actually dangerous on some surfaces - I had a nasty fall at our local bus station, my feet just went from under me and I sat down rather suddenly, couldn't work out why until I tried to stand up and discovered ym Yaktrax have absolutely no grip at all on the tiled floor! So from then on I wore them to walk to the bus station, but had to take them off my boots before I went in, then put them back on after I got off at the other end.

Thanks for this I have just bought a pair. I have just looked on their website and this is what it says:
    Q. Do I have to take my Yaktrax off when I go into shops?
    A. Yes. It is dangerous to wear Yaktrax on any indoor smooth surface such as tiles, wooden floors, and especially the flooring used in shopping centres and on kitchen floors.
  • hello everyone,
    we bought our sister in law socks from the local garden centre called tog socks they claim to have a duvet equivalent tog rating 2.3, my sister in law swears by them as one of the best things ever, may invest in them for others in family next xmas. :j
  • When you park your car, leave it in gear with the handbrake off. Standard practice when I was in Moscow. Friend of mine forgot, the handbrake froze on and she had to wait till the Spring thaw before she could drive the car.

This happened to me in the great freeze of 1983. Had to go into a Kwikfit place VERY nearby, who put it up on a ramp, sprayed windscreen de-icer on the handbrake mechanism, then chipped away the ice with some metal until it freed up!
    "Some say the cup is half empty, while others say it is half full. However, this is skirting around the issue. The real problem is that the cup is too big."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure