PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How long does cooked chicken keep for?

Options

Comments

• clelmt
    clelmt Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    if i had chicken pieces say from KFC for my tea, and i had some left over would it be ok to re-heat it the next day if it was kept in the fridge over night.
  • ksh123
    ksh123 Posts: 1,248 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    I bought a roast chicken on Friday. Intending to use it in full over the w/e. But it didn't work out that way. Its been in the fridge of course. Do you think I can still safely use it tonight in a cook-in sauce? I wiouldn't usually keep chicken this long (except for the dog, lol), but its such a terrible waste of money otherwise.
    thanks.
    Stop looking for answers....
    The most you can hope for are clues.....:)
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would have no hesitation in using it after applying the obligatory 'nose' test.
  • anxious_mum
    Options
    Should be fine if its been in the fridge
    2013 NSD challenge 3/10 :D
  • ksh123
    Options
    Excellent!Thank you. And a good money saver too! :)
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gawd, you must have the constitutions of oxes.

I wouldnt touch it with a barge pole, let alone get my nose near it.

I guess its all in the head really.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    this thread should help - i probably wouldn't personally as my body seems quite sensitive to chicken kept that long or reheated too many times. Ill merge this later

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    Does it Look OK? Does it Smell OK? lastly - try a small piece of it, close your eyes and really concentrate on the taste. Is there an aftertaste? if it passes all these tests then I would use it but make sure that the casserole or sauce gets to a bubbling point and maintain that for at least an hour - that 'should' kill off any bacteria.
    Finally, do NOT give it to anyone who is pregnant, or been ill recently, or has a compromised immune system!
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    id say it would be ok to use...if its been in the fridge
    onwards and upwards
  • ksh123
    Options
    Oh blimey! A real mixed bag of answers and I've looked at the thread Zipp suggested too with similar results.
    It certainly looked and smelt fine and the dog had no complaints when he got some bits, lol. But I didn't taste it because I've got a cold and wouldn't have known any difference.
    I have put it in a sauce intending to cook it when the kid comes home (if I don't die of starvation first! ) because I wouldn't reheat it again.
    It will have lots of time to bubble but I feel a bit paranoid now as I always had the 3 day rule before myself.....
    I'm already cross with myself because there is now a ridiculous amount waiting to go in the dog over the next few days. (There r only 2 of us here and I've got the only cat in the world who won't eat roast chicken). I've actually never thought of freezing cooked chicken.
    This was one that came from Sainsburys and I always wonder how long they have been hanging around in the first place......
    Maybe I should just call this one quits, consign sauce and chicken to the recycling bin ? and treat us to a takeaway cos I do feel rather poorly, sniff...._pale_.. But I'll be haunted by the double waste of cash for days.....:cry:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure