July '06 Grocery Challenge

Pink.Pink. Forumite
17.7K Posts
Forumite
Hello everyone :)

Another new month is about to start, for most of us, while others of you are already well into things.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Good luck to everyone. Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. :)
Good luck !!

Galtizz wrote:
I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

Replies

• wigginsmumwigginsmum Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Very frugal month coming up - because of unforeseen circumstances I have £10 (yes £10 unless I use a credit card) for food (and anything else) until 25th July. We've got full freezers and cupboards, a sackful of potatoes, rice and onions, so I hope to not buy anything except bread and milk and fruit/veg later in the month.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • Right.......this is going to be a VERY tight month :eek: ...and I'm going to hack at the shopping budget - perhaps unrealistically......:o

I'm going to aim for £120 this month :eek: :eek:

I've got plenty of basics, and enough meat for the next week or so, so the first week will be fruit and veg hopefully.

Car tax is due which is why I've had to hack at the food budget:(

Oh, the memories of spending £350 a month in the supermarket..........well, ok, that's how I got into this mess in the first place......sigh.....
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • piratesspiratess Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    This is my first Month and i usually spend £360.00 a month on food :eek: OMG .. thats so much,

The month of July i want to try and cut it by 30.00 for the month id like to say £60.00 but think this is unrealistic at the moment because i get scared LOL

anyway ive just done this next weeks shopping and im already thinking what meals i can make ! ... hey ho!
    Im going to try and plan more and spend less this month

wish me luck xxx
    Hoping to be a thinner me in 2010!
  • joannasmumjoannasmum Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Right

Think we are going to MIL caravan in Wales for a week later in the month so need to be realistic while we are there so going for £200 this month. This is for 3 adults and 1 toddler and 1 cat
    Sorting my life out one day at a time
  • I'm in again this month. I think I just missed last month's target (I've found receipts for about £170...). Gonna be a tight month for me too, so this month, it gets taken out in cash and when it's gone, it's gone! I'm going to stick to £160 and see how we get on. Not very moneysaving, but there we go.
    DFW Nerd no 239.....Last Personal Debt paid off Nov 2012!
    Donated 50 pints so far.... gold badge got 17/11/13! Blood Group O+
    mummy to 3 cats, 2 budgies and a cockatiel
  • tapladytaplady Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I'm in for the first time in quite a few months - I've let things slip a bit:o
    Seems like a lot of us have to cut back this month. I've got to try and cut mine from £70 to £50 a week for 2 adults and 2 adult sized teenage boys!

I started on 25th June and will finish on 25th July.The first week went really well :j and came in £10 under budget but this was due to having lots in the freezer. It will become harder as the month goes on I'm sure but am determined to do it!

Good luck Piratess in your first months grocery challenge!let us know how you're getting on!

week 1: £40:j
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • bluekpbluekp Forumite
    439 Posts
    Count me in again this month.

Just managed to come in under my £100 target at £99.26 so put the remaining £25 from original budget straight into honeymoon savings.

Spend so far: £68.18

Target: £100

Have done huge monthly shop already so hopefully won't need to buy too much more for the rest of the month.

Have been helped already by a Tesco misprice which gave me a months worth of Pork mince for free!

Also have £10 Boots pigsback voucher so that will help with soap, toothpaste etc.

Good luck to everyone :j
    Debt at Highest: £11,630.10 (May 2006) Debt now: £0.00 !!!!
    Married to the man of my dreams :A - Sat 2nd June 2007
  • weegie_2weegie_2 Forumite
    312 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Count me in for the first time! Must start saving!

Family of four (2 adults 2 kids (4yr old and 8mnth old). I'm gonna take out between £160-£200 this month for food shopping and make sure I stick to it.

Must remember to keep all receipts. I'll probably be shocked to see what I spend!

weegie
  • Essex-girl_2Essex-girl_2 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Definately in this month - have let things get a little lax lately.

Am going to aim for £280 this month and make sure I get back to meal planning.
  • miraklmirakl Forumite
    484 Posts
    OK I'm going to have a go at this. I'm really bad at keeping my receipts so it's going to be a serious challenge. There's just the two of us so I reckon £100 is a fair estimate.

Now just to be clear - alcohol doen't count as groceries right?
    My Doctor told me that "1 out of 3 people who start smoking will eventually die." The other two apparently became immortal.

eBay £00-00
    Amazon £00-00

Grand Total £99-41
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals