🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Debt Free by 40 Debt Diary

Options

Comments

• angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    ali007 wrote:
    10' square - oooh that's big, get you!!!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

OM if you go on the Carpetright website you can get a 10% off voucher emailed to you.

Hi Ali, sorry have been away working so no time to log in here!

Yes I live in a giant house by the seaside. Sold up my 3 bed semi in London and bought a 7 bedroomed Victorian villa with a sea view and got £10k change.

I live there (when I am not at bf's house or working in Cheshire) with my retired parents who couldn't afford to continue paying mortgage. My unemployed brother is also staying at the moment as he is waiting to have an operation so can't work.

Living in the house is fab and far grander than I could ever have afforded in London - however, 15ft high ceilings and huge rooms = £mega mega fuel bills! :eek: BE WARNED!!!! Sounds obvious, but when you are viewing these fab houses, they seduce you!:rotfl:

Sorry OM for hijacking your thread!
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • angelavdavis
    Options
    newcook wrote:
    I think you are doing brilliantly O_M! with regards to having a guilt free takeaway it might be worth seeing if your lcal takeaway does what my local indian does: 2 smaller dishes for the price of 1 large - I think its called a passanda - anyway I tend to have 2 smaller ones (mix and match and stick one in the freezer for the following weekend!)
    These days I can never eat a whole curry to myself so the smaller options are great!

Also, don't forget that if you order a biriani, you get a veggie curry too - enough for two of you.
  • newcook
    newcook Posts: 5,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Car drove like a bag of nails this morning. I'm guessing it is because the engine was very cold, although it wasn't frosty and there hadn't been any snow, it juddered and spluttered as I accelerated for the first mile or so. Work is only 2 miles away and as I reached work the ride had smoothed out, so I'm thinking it might just be the weather.

you're lucky O_M - it has been freezing in Brum! thick ice on the roads and black ice on pavements - apparently we are due snow tonight. had an extra duvet on the bed last night as well as the heating on :eek: OH's ex wants us to take son swimming at weekend :confused: - OH reminded her its going to snow/be v.cold/below zero (as it usually is at this time of year). considering neither of us drive its not the best of places to take a 5 year old!

fingers crossed for your claim!!!!!!!!
  • oakdale_minx
    Options
    Yes I live in a giant house by the seaside. Sold up my 3 bed semi in London and bought a 7 bedroomed Victorian villa with a sea view and got £10k change.

Living in the house is fab and far grander than I could ever have afforded in London - however, 15ft high ceilings and huge rooms = £mega mega fuel bills! :eek: BE WARNED!!!! Sounds obvious, but when you are viewing these fab houses, they seduce you!:rotfl:

Sorry OM for hijacking your thread!

wow..............I am very green with envy now..........

Apparently it snowed in Portsmouth (60 miles away) but nothing here. Poole is a bit sheltered by the Purbeck Hills. It can be thick snow 10 miles away, and a flurry here. I've only ever known decent snow three times in the 14 years I've lived here and even then it was only a 24 hour thing.

Sat under throws last night watching TV and switched the heating off about 10.30 as it was plenty warm enough. I want to see if I can keep the winter quarter heating bill as low as possible. I think I've only got 2 months of the higher payments left on my gas and electricity and then it will drop down about £15 a month.
  • angelavdavis
    Options
    I am not far away from you - currently in Ashington at my bf's house, but big house is in St Leonards on sea.

Like Poole, St Leonards doesn't get snow often but woke up to a bit this morning. Ashington is a bit colder so we got more snow here.

Also like Poole, St Leonards doesn't have any real work or salaries (hence the cheap house cost). Which is why I work away so much as there are no real employers in St L except NHS, Local Authorities or schools.
  • dottyanne
    dottyanne Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey girl!! Hows it going - are you any nearer to being debt free by 40? I havent been on in a long while but am slowly trying to get back in the swing of things - keep in touch !

dotty x
    Focusing on clearing the credit cards in 2018 :T
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dotty!!

How are you? You haven't told us what happened. Did you both get jobs? How are they going? I've been wondering about you. Have seen you've dropped by a few times but never any of your news.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • oakdale_minx
    Options
    Hiya dotty!!!

It's all coming together!! i've upped my monthly payment on my secured loan, so I'm now down to 5 years left on it, I've got my three bank charge cases all on the same day next month which, as long as they all refund them will clear all my unsecured debt, with a bit left over!

Get my back pay at the end of this month.

AQA is still going well.

Work is still as rubbish, but I'm sure as long as I keep gritting my teeth it will turn around at some point!

Love the avatar - made me giggle for some reason!
  • oakdale_minx
    oakdale_minx Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    Options
    .......duplicated post - MSE having a bit of a bad day?!
  • oakdale_minx
    oakdale_minx Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    Options
    Just done something which I'm hoping means I'm feeling a bit 'better' in my head.

My passion has always been cooking, but I've found over the last two or three months that I've bought the same ingredients, cooked the same meals, stuck to the same budget and not veered off in way way shape or form in what I buy. I'd lost my interest in the only thing that I was really passionate about and it was starting to concern me a bit, but I just couldn't seem to break free of what I was buying.

Anyway, I felt a bit 'brave' today and I phoned up Riverford Organic Veggies today and asked them to re-activate my account. I've not bought from them for over a year and I'd never been a very regular customer, mostly down to cost.

I've ordered a salad box and their small vegetable box to be delivered Friday. It comes to £15.50, which is more than it would cost in the supermarket, but, I've been very, very careful this month and can budget for it. It also means I will get some bits I wouldn't normally buy, which I'm hoping means I'm starting to break one of the 'robotic' cycles I seem to have found myself in since taking the anti-depressants.

Odd thing to report I guess, but just wanted to share as it is slightly DF related!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport