PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hairy Bikers Mum Knows Best

Options

Comments

• seraphina
    seraphina Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd be interested in hearing from people who've got the book. I saw the TV show and to be honest it looked like a nutritional disaster:rotfl: Are all the recipes cheese and lardfests??
  • tara747
    tara747 Posts: 10,238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    seraphina wrote: »
    I'd be interested in hearing from people who've got the book. I saw the TV show and to be honest it looked like a nutritional disaster:rotfl: Are all the recipes cheese and lardfests??

That is true, TBH. Years ago people didn't give a damn about calories, they worked it all off so were nice and slim!! And rationing meant that you couldn't eat a lot anyway. We, on the other hand, are a lot more sedentary and have access to a HUGE range of cheap food. Junk food in particular is far too cheap. Oh how I wish a bar of chocolate was about £4, it would remove so much temptation!

So, yes, I reckon these recipes would be quite fattening, that's why I haven't succumbed and ordered the book! I need to lose weight, not put it on.
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • seraphina
    Options
    tara747 wrote: »
    That is true, TBH. Years ago people didn't give a damn about calories, they worked it all off so were nice and slim!! And rationing meant that you couldn't eat a lot anyway. We, on the other hand, are a lot more sedentary and have access to a HUGE range of cheap food. Junk food in particular is far too cheap. Oh how I wish a bar of chocolate was about £4, it would remove so much temptation!

So, yes, I reckon these recipes would be quite fattening, that's why I haven't succumbed and ordered the book! I need to lose weight, not put it on.

Exactly! And if I am going to blow the calorific budget it's more likely to be on a slice of cheesecake or a great curry with ghee than cheese pie. Mind you all the traybakes looked nice - that's the kind of thing my mum used to do!
  • auntymabel
    Options
    Obviously you wouldn't want to eat high fat foods all the time but as Tara747 says people used to be more active - no cars and washing machines. Also there wasn't the constant snacking. People didn't keep huge bags of crisps and snacks in the cupboard for eating when you felt like it. Sugar was used in sweet items not hidden in savoury items like it is now in convenience foods (along with with numerous additives).
    'Yaze whit yeh hive an ye'll niver wahnt'

(From Mae Stewart's book 'Dae Yeh Mind Thon Time?')
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    msb5262 wrote: »
    You can use pastry cutters as rings for crumpets, fried eggs etc. Obviously place them with the crinkly edges uppermost...
    That's a good idea...except mine are plastic laughing-smiley-004.gif
    I used to make really tall, light sponges till I had to change my cooker, & my cakes now never come out looking as good as that baking mum's did :o
    tara747 wrote: »

The beany mince mum did stop Si from using oil to fry the mince tho, which almost every other cookery programme tells you to do! I'm fed up of seeing chefs adding a 'splash of oil', 'dash of cream' or 'knob of butter' to everything & think it's refreshing to have a programme with recipes I would be willing--& more importantly afford--to give my family for more than just a special occasion.
    I cannot see that these recipes are any more of a threat to our waistlines than the revered Jamie, Delia or Nigellas of this world & could perhaps, be of more benefit.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• angeltreats
    angeltreats Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    Options
    BigMummaF wrote: »

I cannot see that these recipes are any more of a threat to our waistlines than the revered Jamie, Delia or Nigellas of this world & could perhaps, be of more benefit.

Nigella in particular is inclined to use ingredients that are very high in fat/calories.

Shame they're always so tasty :o
  • seraphina
    Options
    BigMummaF wrote: »
    That's a good idea...except mine are plastic laughing-smiley-004.gif
    I used to make really tall, light sponges till I had to change my cooker, & my cakes now never come out looking as good as that baking mum's did :o

The beany mince mum did stop Si from using oil to fry the mince tho, which almost every other cookery programme tells you to do! I'm fed up of seeing chefs adding a 'splash of oil', 'dash of cream' or 'knob of butter' to everything & think it's refreshing to have a programme with recipes I would be willing--& more importantly afford--to give my family for more than just a special occasion.

Jamie in particular is now very good at making nutritionally sound recipies - his Ministry of Food recipes I think are far more suitable for everyday healthy family meals than anything I saw the Hairy Bikers do. Also, in his America book, he's very keen to point out where exactly recipes stand in the spectrum of healthy/treats, which is really nice to see.

Agree that Nigella is particularly bad on butter/cream etc!
  • FunkyFairy
    Options
    I really enjoyed this show. I found myself ordering the book this morning opps!!!

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/12332164/The-Hairy-Bikers-Family-Cook-Book-Mums-Know-Best/Product.html
  • Tibbie's_mum
    Options
    my mam (in durham) always makes corned beef pie and everyone loves it! whenever i mention it down here (blackpool) people look at you as if you're mad, even though it's not a million miles away from some people's hotpot that comes with a pasty lid....

i believe my mam boils potatoes and onions together in a pan, then mashes them together, adds cubed tinned corned beef, mixes well and then makes a pie with homemade shortcrust pastry. the pies are always always always made on dinner plates and are delish!

That sounds yum, can't believe I haven't got a tin in the cupboard.
  • angeltreats
    angeltreats Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    Options
    Oh I really really want to order it but I promised myself no more cookbooks. I'll make myself wait until some of you guys get yours and report back if it's as good as the TV show.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure