PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hairy Bikers Mum Knows Best

Options

Comments

• rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    zippychick wrote: »
    Yeah fair enough...... It just seems a little stereo typical , that's all..... No one really mentions Nigella and how she flings her hair about and how her dirty mane could get caught up in food . I just feel a little protective of them I guess:rotfl:

In fact Nigella admits on her own sight she only washes her hair every 2 weeks - the hairy bikers looked fluffy and clean in comparison to me!
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • moggylover
    moggylover Posts: 13,324 Forumite
    Options
    seraphina wrote: »
    Exactly! And if I am going to blow the calorific budget it's more likely to be on a slice of cheesecake or a great curry with ghee than cheese pie. Mind you all the traybakes looked nice - that's the kind of thing my mum used to do!

But variety is the spice of life seraphina;). I like both of your suggestions, but would not want them to be the only blow-outs available:D

Furthermore, not everyone has a sedentary life style or a weight problem so it is nice to see some plain and inexpensive meals being used again. My family are all very active, and I'm afraid a poached salmon steak, three new potatoes and a little salad would be of no use at all to my growing lads (12 and 14) who eat like horses and are not in the least overweight. I would rather they got their calories from some of these wholesome meal choices, and not from cakes, sweets, biscuits and crisps (plus vast quantities of fizzy drinks) which I think are probably the biggest weight and fat problems the UK have these days. We don't eat between meals - but do eat well at mealtimes.

When I was a kid, most children really looked forward to a packet of crisps as they were not available except as a treat (often only at parties or for an occasional picknic) and I think the biggest factor in weight gain is the "grazing" all day that some people seem to be unable to do without and the amount of sugar added to almost all and any of the pre-prepared foods. Fizzy drinks are another thing that most of us only saw on high days and holidays and I think they are a real problem as well these days (and I don't think the "low sugar" varieties are any improvement either).
    "there are some persons in this World who, unable to give better proof of being wise, take a strange delight in showing what they think they have sagaciously read in mankind by uncharitable suspicions of them"
    (Herman Melville)
  • moggylover
    edited 8 January 2010 at 4:49PM
    Options
    zippychick wrote: »
    Yeah fair enough...... It just seems a little stereo typical , that's all..... No one really mentions Nigella and how she flings her hair about and how her dirty mane could get caught up in food . I just feel a little protective of them I guess:rotfl:

Ah, but Nigella is posh zippy - so she would only have posh grease and fleas in her hair which is acceptable:rolleyes::rotfl:
    "there are some persons in this World who, unable to give better proof of being wise, take a strange delight in showing what they think they have sagaciously read in mankind by uncharitable suspicions of them"
    (Herman Melville)
  • The_Mighty_Gusset
    Options
    I wanted the Samosas
    People are going mental on the bbc message board

Haggis, Wraps, Fry in oil !
    Gus.
  • moggylover
    Options
    Karena wrote: »
    I think corned beef pie might be a very local North Eastern dish.I remember having it in Hatlepool and have been looking for a recipe for ages.

We are very southern, south east in fact, and we always had this when I was a kid, and she got the recipe from her mum who was also purely a southerner. However, I think you will find it was a war time recipe that was a popular way of making ones rations go further.
    (Herman Melville)
  • moggylover
    Options
    Haggis, Wraps, Fry in oil !

What I want is a tried and trusted recipe for actually making Haggis because the ones available this far south of the border are sad, tiny little things which are very expensive for what they are (all sort of "designer brands":rolleyes:).

When my friend used to go up to visit family in Scotland years ago she used to bring me huge ones back from her local butcher and NONE of the supposed "special" ones I have had since come anywhere near to be as lovely:o. These were cheap as chips - but superb if slow roasted with a little knob of butter in the middle:drool::o
    (Herman Melville)
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    seraphina wrote: »
    Jamie in particular is now very good at making nutritionally sound recipies - his Ministry of Food recipes I think are far more suitable for everyday healthy family meals than anything I saw the Hairy Bikers do. Also, in his America book, he's very keen to point out where exactly recipes stand in the spectrum of healthy/treats, which is really nice to see.

Agree that Nigella is particularly bad on butter/cream etc!

But his own brand of foods are swimming in fat - I bought a jar of his pesto and had to pour off a good 2 cm of oil from the top of the jar - I know all pesto has oil in but this was gross
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    rachbc wrote: »
    But his own brand of foods are swimming in fat - I bought a jar of his pesto and had to pour off a good 2 cm of oil from the top of the jar - I know all pesto has oil in but this was gross

There's meant to be a layer of oil on top of pesto. It helps to preserve it.
  • aliadds
    aliadds Posts: 26,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Know it's a daft question but .......... I want to make that yummy looking cheese and potato pie but how do you make breadcrumbs without a food processor? I've googled it and they all seem to talk about putting bread on baking tray, toasting for 10 mins one side, 10 the other and then cutting up finely. Seems a bit of a faff that, I'm sure my late mom never used to do that but like a lot of other things, how she made breadcrumbs was something I forgot to ask her about.
    You may find it helps to freeze the bread before grating!
    Less is more
  • tigzem
    tigzem Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    Options
    Am very tempted to order the book, but can I ask do Amazon take the money when ordering or do they debit it when it is sent out?

Thanks x
    "Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little." Edmund Burke
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure