PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hairy Bikers Mum Knows Best

Options

Comments

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    MrsE wrote: »
    I think they are a bit minging, I've said so on here.

NOT because they are bikers, just because they have long scruff hair they don't tie back & Dave is can be a bit minging sometimes in his habits & ways.

But I really like their cooking:D

I have bought the book:D
    Yeah fair enough...... It just seems a little stereo typical , that's all..... No one really mentions Nigella and how she flings her hair about and how her dirty mane could get caught up in food . I just feel a little protective of them I guess:rotfl:
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Essex-girl_2
    Essex-girl_2 Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    zippychick wrote: »
    Yeah fair enough...... It just seems a little stereo typical , that's all..... No one really mentions Nigella and how she flings her hair about and how her dirty mane could get caught up in food . I just feel a little protective of them I guess:rotfl:

Also when Jamie Oliver did his at Home series his fingernails were minging from the gardening, didn't bother me though. I follow basic food hygiene and think we have become too clinical. I love the Hairy Bikers and can't wait for the book to arrive.
  • Savannah02K
    Options
    Know it's a daft question but .......... I want to make that yummy looking cheese and potato pie but how do you make breadcrumbs without a food processor? I've googled it and they all seem to talk about putting bread on baking tray, toasting for 10 mins one side, 10 the other and then cutting up finely. Seems a bit of a faff that, I'm sure my late mom never used to do that but like a lot of other things, how she made breadcrumbs was something I forgot to ask her about.
  • Magpye
    Magpye Posts: 607 Forumite
    Options
    Cheese grater should do the trick, mind your fingers though.
    "All cruelty springs from weakness" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca
    Personal pronouns are they/them/their, please.

I'm intolerant of wheat, citrus, grapes, grape products and dried vine fruits, tomato, and beetroot, and I am also somewhat caffeine sensitive.
  • angeltreats
    angeltreats Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've always used the liquidiser attachment of my Kenwood Chef to make breadcrumbs.

If I didn't have a liquidiser or food processor, I'd make sure the bread was good and stale, maybe leave it out overnight, and then just grate it with a cheese grater.

Edit: Too slow!
  • Savannah02K
    Options
    Ooh cheese grater, never thought of that, that mine have been what my mom did. Thank you! am so looking forward to that cheese and pot pud tomorrow night now, some baked beans, some green beans that came from the garden back in the summer and some crusty bread. What a way to spend a cold Saturday night, sooooooooo glad I don't have to go out!
  • Karena_3
    Karena_3 Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
  • Karena_3
    Karena_3 Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    my mam (in durham) always makes corned beef pie and everyone loves it! whenever i mention it down here (blackpool) people look at you as if you're mad, even though it's not a million miles away from some people's hotpot that comes with a pasty lid....

i believe my mam boils potatoes and onions together in a pan, then mashes them together, adds cubed tinned corned beef, mixes well and then makes a pie with homemade shortcrust pastry. the pies are always always always made on dinner plates and are delish!

I think corned beef pie might be a very local North Eastern dish.I remember having it in Hatlepool and have been looking for a recipe for ages.
  • moggylover
    moggylover Posts: 13,324 Forumite
    Options
    my mam (in durham) always makes corned beef pie and everyone loves it! whenever i mention it down here (blackpool) people look at you as if you're mad, even though it's not a million miles away from some people's hotpot that comes with a pasty lid....

i believe my mam boils potatoes and onions together in a pan, then mashes them together, adds cubed tinned corned beef, mixes well and then makes a pie with homemade shortcrust pastry. the pies are always always always made on dinner plates and are delish!

That is how my mum always made it - with pastry under and over (and her pastry was wonderful - I've never been great at pastry:o) and it is a favourite with my family now. It is the only way DS1 will actually eat mashed potato at all:rolleyes::D Unfortunately, I often resort to frozen pastry as mine is not to be relied upon for the top:o
    "there are some persons in this World who, unable to give better proof of being wise, take a strange delight in showing what they think they have sagaciously read in mankind by uncharitable suspicions of them"
    (Herman Melville)
  • moggylover
    moggylover Posts: 13,324 Forumite
    Options
    Just in case the salmon/tuna tins hold on to their fishiness, I have in the past made crumpet rings by making cardboard rings and covering them in foil.

I think I originally got this tip from Shirley Goode, now there's a lady who knows her way round the block.

Bella.

Would small sweetcorn tins not do the job without the fishiness? Otherwise my "rings" are non-stick and only cost £1.00 for two from a local ironmongers so worth looking around.
    "there are some persons in this World who, unable to give better proof of being wise, take a strange delight in showing what they think they have sagaciously read in mankind by uncharitable suspicions of them"
    (Herman Melville)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport