people driving with loads of snow on the roof of their car

Options

Comments

• pitkin2020
    pitkin2020 Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    its snows, when it snows you have to adjust your driving style keeping extra distance between the car in front, driving slower and being more gentle on the brakes, if the car in front has snow on its roof and it ends up on your windscreen behind maybe you take a look at your driving style as you are obviously driving too close!!
    Everyones opinion is the most important.....no wonder nothing is ever agreed on.
  • blued
    blued Posts: 698 Forumite
    Options
    pault123 wrote: »
    Since there is fresh snowfall everyday at the moment its impossible to keep it clean!

We've had snowfall every day for 2 and a half weeks now and other than a couple of cm I've managed to drive with a clear car! Not difficult to brush it off.
  • rictus123
    rictus123 Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Some of us dont want to climb on top of our vans to clear the top of them though :) Just have the 4 second rule going as you drive.
    Work in progress...Update coming July 2012.
  • delain
    delain Posts: 7,700 Forumite
    Options
    We haven't had any snow but some muppet in my road didn't de-ice his rear windscreen at all (or it looked like he hadn't, he could not have seen through it) and then proceeded to reverse along the pavement, not slowly either and almost hit one of my twins when we were walking to our bus stop :eek:

If I had not shouted 'STOP' when i saw him start to reverse she would have been toast as he would have hit her. I was talking to the little one, btw. but the muppet stopped as well thankfully.

ALWAYS de-snow/de-ice properly, it saves lives. ;)
    Mum of several with a twisted sense of humour and a laundry obsession :o:o
  • Pew_Pew_Pew_Lasers!
    Options
    exup wrote: »
    rain isnt that slippy - but when you get a great pile of snow dropping on the road infront of you - especially if you are on a motorbike its not the best thing for traction. Im amazed at those people who dont give a thought for the safety of other road users

Nonsense. Unless the snow is mostly ice and falls off in one large chuck, it'll make not the slightest bit of difference to traction.
  • pitkin2020
    pitkin2020 Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    Options
    Nonsense. Unless the snow is mostly ice and falls off in one large chuck, it'll make not the slightest bit of difference to traction.

it will to a motorbike, but not to a car.
    Everyones opinion is the most important.....no wonder nothing is ever agreed on.
  • darich
    darich Posts: 2,145 Forumite
    Options
    Even worse was the muppet i followed this afternoon who hadn't cleared his rear lights making it difficult to see the brake lights and indicators.

Pure laziness.

Keen photographer with sales in the UK and abroad.
    Willing to offer advice on camera equipment and photography if i can!
  • pault123
    pault123 Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    Options
    Far more dangerous are the people today driving up to my rear bumper and braking last minute. Can they not see the snow and ice on the road :mad::mad::mad:
  • kriss_boy
    kriss_boy Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    Options
    movilogo wrote: »
    If you're driving on town roads, ice over roof of cars is not much of an issue. However, on motorway, it may be quite dangerous.

Flying ice chunks from car in front you travelling at 70 mi/h, can cause good amount of damage in your car!

Yup.

Was driving along the motoway a couple of days ago, pointing out to my girlfriend the fool driving along with 6 inches of snow on his roof.

Next minute a lump of ice falls off and hits my car!!! I was amazed it didnt dent my car.

Anyway, this is one of these common sense/courtesey notions that are wasted on half the UK. Would it really take any longer than 10 seconds to wipe the snow off your roof? No...
  • elfen
    elfen Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    Options
    Even if it's only the bits where doors open and the boot, that makes all the difference. Was going to my mum's when the first lot came down along part of the south coast, and the amount of people with snow that could easily have been taken off when doing the windows. Not to mention the eejits trying to tailgate on slippy roads (had been gritted but the snow had still taken over, leaving a lane and a half - some were trying to over/undertake forcing OH onto the icy part near the barrier)
    ** Total debt: £6950.82 ± May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -£152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business