🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

people driving with loads of snow on the roof of their car

Options
how bloody dangerous is this!!! hard braking and its off the roof and on the window screen .

Comments

• pitkin2020
    pitkin2020 Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    they should be shot!!
    but then i guess the screen is clear before they brake hard, they are braking hard with the intention of stopping, so before moving off they could just clear the screen with those windscreen wipers!!
    Everyones opinion is the most important.....no wonder nothing is ever agreed on.
  • movingforward2010
    Options
    pitkin2020 wrote: »
    they should be shot!!
    but then i guess the screen is clear before they brake hard, they are braking hard with the intention of stopping, so before moving off they could just clear the screen with those windscreen wipers!!

i only mention it as it happened to my sister (stupid girl :rolleyes: ) van in front braked , she braked , whoosh nearly 6 inches of snow off the roof on to the screen she nearly went in to the back of a van , too much for the wipers to remove so she had to stop :eek: luckily the road was more or less empty.
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    Options
    I was going across the M62 (the high part) the other day and noticed several cars doing this. They weren't even braking; the wind was just blowing it off.
  • DaveMacD
    DaveMacD Posts: 575 Forumite
    Options
    I think most people have done it at some point. In a rush to leave, too short to reach the roof, whatever. However, it is in the highway code that before setting off :- remove all snow that might fall into the path of other road users.

Can be handy following someone like that if your washers have frozen. The snow coming off as dust is just enough to wet the windscreen, allowing you to use your wipers.
    Fight Crime : Shoot Back.

It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without being seduced by it.

Support your local First Response Group, you might need us one day.
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    Options
    It's not handy if like me you are still on a motorbike. They all seem oblivious to what they are doing, yet it would take 5 seconds with a brush to remove it all
  • rictus123
    rictus123 Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Winds me up like nothing else.
    Work in progress...Update coming July 2012.
  • hothothot_3
    hothothot_3 Posts: 4,646 Forumite
    Options
    i love leaving it on, heading on the motorway and hearing it crack off and go flying. does no harm to anyone and practically cleans itself.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 27 December 2011 at 8:39PM
    Options
    I think what winds me up most is that a week after the snow has fallen, there's still people driving around with snow on their roofs. Still, at least it clearly marks out the less experienced drivers ...so you can stay well clear ;)
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    Options
    Myssinic wrote: »
    I think what winds me up most is that a week after the snow has fallen, there's still people driving around with snow on their roofs. Still, at least it clearly marks out the less experienced drivers ...so you can stay well clear ;)

maybe they've travelled from somewhere that has had a recent snow fall or they just haven't moved thier cars since the last one.
    the snow on my roof was frozen solid so im sorry if it irritates a few folk but i won't be out scrapping it off. it usually ends up being blown off the back and if it does fall onto my windscreen then thank god because it will add some moisture to my windscreen to help me see as my washers will probably be frozen.
    ...work permit granted!
  • exup
    exup Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    Options
    hothothot wrote: »
    i love leaving it on, heading on the motorway and hearing it crack off and go flying. does no harm to anyone and practically cleans itself.

i hope youre joking
    Don't try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills