🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Eager Elephant's Effective Everyday Excursion ...

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,777 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I buy the i now as it is only 30p & cheaper if you buy the vouchers.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Have still not decided what to do about NSD - I have budgets for everything and also my own money left from my wages. It is this money which I would use for PAD's so it is better if I do not spend this money so I think I will just count my own spends on frivolous things like chocolate bars, lunch and clothes.

2/1 was a NSD
    3/1 was a NSD for me but I spent some of the food budget
    4/1 was a NSD for me but I spent from the animal budget
    5/1 was a NSD for me but I spent from the household budget (we needed some new trays and I had vouchers for Wilko from Royal Mail postage survey so I used the vouchers up and transferred the money in to my current account as I had used my own money to buy stamps a few weeks ago)

Just to confirm that all the budgets have an equal amount put in by DH and me so it is a joint decision about where it all gets spent. These budgets are not for debt repayments.

If others do there NSD differently please let me know as still not sure I am doing it right.

Tomorrow will be a test as I am working at a different office and they have a Waitrose next door - I love popping in to see what they have. Not any more though - I have got my lunch ready (leftovers from Sunday roast is roast potatoes and butternut squash and leek bake) and will grab a handful of sweets which will see me through.

Have started the 5:2 diet again today, when I followed it last year I lost quite a bit of weight. I weighed myself today and have decided to post my weight in the hope it will spur me on to continue - I am 10st 13lb.

Have kept up with reading the daily paper on the day I get it - just about to find today's and head to bed to read it.

Have not managed to declutter anything else but am slightly ahead at the moment.

Have been continuing with my PAD's - the next statement is due tonight. I think I have nearly cleared the balance at 27.95% and then I just have the balance at 6.56% to go.
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hi EE, your thinking behind the NSD seems fine to me but I'm no expert.

Don't think I would have the discipline for the 5:2 diet but it seems to work for a lot of people.

Well done on keeping up with the papers and nearly clearing the high interest balance. :T
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £13,870, Car loan 2 £10,310 . Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    I think what ever works for you re the NSD is fine. For example, I'm not organised enough to have a household budget, so any day I do food shopping is not a NSD for me, but if I did have a budget then I'd possibly still count it as a NSD (as you are doing) if I had no other spends.

I'm also trying to evaluate how I count NSDs. At the moment I only count them if I truly spend NO money AT ALL (direct debits/ extra debt payments aside). This therefore means that Tuesdays for example can never be a NSD as I pay £4.95 for chub club, however, I'm starting to wonder if I should accept this as a regular payment and still claim a NSD if I don't spend anything else. The thinking behind that is I'm more likely to spend money knowing it can't be a NSD.

Interested to see what others count as NSDs.
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • smarties84
    smarties84 Posts: 711 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I've just spent the last few days reading your diary from the start and wow you've been thru a lot lol

You've done brilliantly to put up with everything that's been thrown At you xxx

I've subscribed x
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Thanks guys for your input on NSD's - I am still no clearer especially after reading PLMBL thread as other's have different ideas.

Sorry you had to sit through my diary - I bet it reads like a soap opera at points!! I am trying to have less drama in my life but not sure that will ever happen.

No credit card statement yet so not sure what my balance is until they add the interest.

6/1 - NSD for all accounts. I have been so busy at work that I did not have lunch until 3.30pm so certainly no time for popping to Waitrose:T
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Not been on for a few days - it's just busy, busy, busy.

Got my credit card statement - the balance was £1171.09 (with £1160.53 at 6.38% (not sure why it is less) so with the PAD's I have been doing I have now paid off the £10 odd that was at 27.95% so all my debt on this card is at the lower rate and my other card is at 0% so less interest being paid.

I have weighed myself and lost 2lb so I am now 10st 11lb.

Also still keeping track of spends:

7/1 was a NSD for me but money spent from animal budget on new chainsaw blade
    8/1 was a NSD for me but money spent from kids budget and DH paid for a tank of petrol.
    9/1 was not a NSD really as I had to post a parcel for the RoyalMail survey thing I do although I received vouchers to cover the cost. Money also spent from Food budget.
    10/1 was a NSD for me but I did spend £1.50 of my Xmas money:rotfl:. I needed some new eyeshadow which should have been £3 but at the till it scanned at £1.50. Didn't see anything else I particularly wanted, might just pay it off my credit card?? Money also spent from Kids budget as DD needed new shoes as she has grown a size and is now a Size 6 - I think I will borrow her shoes now!!

Still making extra payments every day to the credit card. I need to get on with some of these survey sites as I just don't seem to have the time in the evenings.

Not been near Waitrose - I have been too busy to eat lunch til after 3.30pm 3 days last week so no time for shopping!

Must start decluttering again as was only up to 11 and should be doing 1 a day.
  • millionaire_in_training
    Options
    My tuppence worth on the NSD debate. I pay £8 every day during the week for DS to go to school but I only count this on a Monday as a weekly spend. I would never have an NSD otherwise. I reckon do what you feel comfortable with x
    5 Year plan. April 2020 to June 2025- CC and mortgage free by time I'm 60
    Currently CC £23,674.36 /£14,895.41/£14315.42
    Mortgage £28,214.65/ £26,254.71/ £25,746.43
    By end 2020 I want CC at £ 19,000.00.
    By end 2021 I want CC at £10,000.00
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Forgot to say on here (but did mention it to Ellie) I have a broken car:mad:

ON Friday I drove over/into a very large pot hole and then yesterday as I was driving along we heard the sound of metal falling from the car to the road so we turned around and DH found some of my suspension coil:eek:

I only had both replaced early last year so definitely connected to the pot hole.

I will ring the garage tomorrow and also try to claim from the local council - when I drove past after work they had put a big yellow cross inside the pot hole. As it is on a bend I think they should have put a cone or something to stop people driving over it - I will go tomorrow to get pictures and measure it.

So my little car tax savings pot (no longer needed as I am paying by DD) will have to be used to pay for the repair. I also have some in the repair pot still.

DH's truck is also playing up, it is a winter issue and won't start in the cold. It is a common fault with his make of 4 x 4 so in the summer we are going to sell it and buy a different make. There is nothing that can be done to make it start better so although we have 2 vehicles for most of the time we only have 1 we can use which is ridiculous as we have the field and then animals.

Luckily my brother is replacing his car so he has given us his car for DS who will be starting lessons soon. For now I have insured it for DH and I and this will be our second car. This is handy because when my car goes in if the truck does not start we won't be able to get to work.

Blinkin' cars, I wish we didn't rely on them so much.
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

The papers come out of the household budget so I wouldn't save any money by cancelling.

If you stop paying for a paper - why wont that save you any money??? I am guessing an online variety is cheaper? I rarely buy a paper these days...........
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport