Eager Elephant's Effective Everyday Excursion ...

Options

Comments

• please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Happy New Year EE and happy diary birthday. I hope 2015 is a good one for you Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • pennywisepoundstupid
    Options
    Happy new year ee.
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    mary_hinge wrote: »
    I will be here by your side in 2015 EE we can debt bust together :beer:

Happy new year lovely lady!

It's only been the last 3 months that I know the totals of Mr H's debts and it took a near marriage break down to get the info. I think sometimes with thee men it's a pride thing. They want to be incontrol. I told Mr H I wasn't his mother and wasn't there to scald him on his debt but his wife, Partner in crime and the house banker who would be by his side to tackle them together.

I have known about DH's debts for quite a long time now, it's just that with him only making token payments the balance does not reduce that quickly.

It was only because he quit his job a few years ago that he had to default on his payments and hence he has token payments. If he had not left his job who knows where we would be as the minimum payments were half his wages with the other half needed towards household bills and he just kept applying for more credit all the time.

I keep veering between offering full and finals (when he has saved the money) or him going bankrupt.

None of them are charging interest but we cannot continue like this although DH is not bothered about them while he gets no letters. If he gets letters he gets all stressed.

I have just added up his debts and this is what he owes:

Halifax (was Amazon) £5934.38
    Paypal £8035.27
    Tesco £2787.58
    Barclaycard £2508.73
    Barclays loan £983.00
    Screwfix £264.21
    Barclaycard (was Egg) £1258.21
    Solicitors £230.37
    Barclays o/d £760.21

Total £22761.96:eek:

So from 2010 - 2012 he managed to add another £11k to his debt.

Just to recap that I look after all DH's money - he is not able to cope with finances so I pay all his bills, transfer money that's needed and give him spends. Unfortunately he does tend to stray from the path quite a bit so I have to keep him in check. Luckily I transfer quite a bit of money out every pay day so I know the basics are covered and he has some small savings.

The problem is that he loves gadgets and now has 3 Vodafone contracts - last month they came to £81. Goodness knows what will happen this month
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Thanks everyone for popping in today.

I am on a 30minute break from board game central - as it is DD's birthday she gets to pick what we do and so far we have played board games since about 11am and we are having Chinese for tea- this is all budgeted for!!
  • millionaire_in_training
    Options
    We used to play board games a lot. Friday nights were games night. We had such a lot of fun x
    5 Year plan. April 2020 to June 2025- CC and mortgage free by time I'm 60
    Currently CC £23,674.36 /£14,895.41/£14315.42
    Mortgage £28,214.65/ £26,254.71/ £25,746.43
    By end 2020 I want CC at £ 19,000.00.
    By end 2021 I want CC at £10,000.00
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    EE I'm sure you will get where you want to be - you've done really well just keeping it all together and also reduced the debt. :T I'm sure you'll manage your mini-challenge no bother.

Hope you've had a lovely family day. :)
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,060, Car loan 2 £10,843 . Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Not much going on in the Elephant household.

Yesterday I made a PAD of £1.00 and today I have paid £2.00 - this is to Halifax c/c.

I have been thinking about some other challenges I could do, I am going to start counting my NSD's - need to read up on the rules about whether food budget money is counted or not.

My other challenge will be to read the daily paper within 2 days of getting it, at the moment I tend to just flick quickly through in the mornings and then set it aside to read in full another time - and I never have the time so I have a stack of newspapers going back 8 weeks:eek:
    So from yesterday this is my new challenge (which I have managed for today and yesterday, the challenge will be on week days as I am at work and don't have much time in the evenings), I will then read from the stack and hopefully get this down by the end of January.

I will also make sure I enter MyMail numbers - this is a reward site where you enter the code on the back of the Daily Mail and get points. Over the last few years I have managed to get quite a bit in vouchers but then I don't bother doing it and I end up losing out on the vouchers.

I think that is enough for me to start with.
  • millionaire_in_training
    Options
    I don't even buy a newspaper any more EE as I never get time to read. I try and catch up with the news every now and again but mainly hear whats going on on the radio to and from work.
    5 Year plan. April 2020 to June 2025- CC and mortgage free by time I'm 60
    Currently CC £23,674.36 /£14,895.41/£14315.42
    Mortgage £28,214.65/ £26,254.71/ £25,746.43
    By end 2020 I want CC at £ 19,000.00.
    By end 2021 I want CC at £10,000.00
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    I just read sky news online, and don't bother buying the papers any more unless they have vouchers in! Does mean I miss all the lighthearted news though Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    I do keep thinking I should cancel the newspaper delivery but it is too ingrained at the moment:rotfl:

My parents always had daily papers and I have carried that on (I used to deliver the papers in the village when I was a teenager).

I just love reading - I read all the news websites every day as well:eek:

I guess I am just nosey:rotfl:plus I like to see how the news story unfolds throughout the day and then the next day in the newspaper they have so much more information.

My DH always said that I would read the back of a crisp packet if I had nothing else to read!! The irony is that now I do read the back of crisp packets to check for gluten:rotfl:

The papers come out of the household budget so I wouldn't save any money by cancelling.

Now that I have a Kindle (have I mentioned that before:rotfl:) I was going to pay £9.99 for the mail online app which is supposed to be the same as the newspaper - I too like the lighthearted news but the reviews are not very good so for now I will stick with the daily papers and see how I get on by the end of the month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure