🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Selling Your Stuff on Amazon Part 13 - Advice for newbies in first two posts

Options

Comments

• Bexterragga
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Yes there is, but I struggle to find it. It is actually somewhere very obvious, I just can never remember where. Just look for the best sellers lists, they have one for books and CDs and DVDs, but it includes both items sold by Amazon and those sold by individuals.

I'll go and have a rummage, wish me luck!

However, I never use it instead i buy books in bulk and then see what the sales rating is like and the price and then decide whether to dump or to list. I can not source best sellers at a price to beat Amazon so the best seller lists are no good for me.

Thanks Soolin and teapot, this is the first time that I have sold anything on Amazon - the first 2 books I have listed have sold straight away! The first was a self-help book, the second, a Maya Angelou autobiography.

I suppose the aim of my question was to try and get an idea of the market but I think that this can probably be achieved by looking at the amount of 'used and new' copies of the book. For example the book, The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency has 1432 used and new copies! So it wouldn't really be worth me selling that one.

Thanks for your advice
  • teapot2
    teapot2 Posts: 3,276 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bookworm63 wrote: »
    I wonder if someone could please help me with a problem?

I sent a book to Europe at the beginning of December. It was sent to the exact address as was advised through Amazon, but the book has now been returned undelivered with various boxes checked saying 'unknown', 'moved' and 'insufficient address'.

The buyer has also contacted me a couple of days ago to say it hasn't arrived (I have just returned home after a short break so haven't yet replied).

If I have to pay postage again to send to a different address I will be out of pocket! Would I be within my rights to issue a refund less the initial postage, since the address is incorrect?

The only thing I can find on the Amazon website says:

'Sellers may issue full or partial refunds for an order. If a new unwanted item is returned opened, the seller may deduct a reasonable restocking fee from your refund.'
    (on this page: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_ln_rr_rmi/?nodeId=1161010 )

Any advice much appreciated, thanks!

Hi Bookworm, I notice no one has been able to answer your question, not sure I can - sorry, but just a few points;

You don't say which country you posted to - the Amazon address format is based on UK addresses so when non uk buyers type in their address it may not show up on the packing slip in the correct format for that country. You can find info on address format for each country on the Royal Mail site. I would have put in a link if I knew which country, when sending abroad its always worth checking or googling the address.

Has the buyer said what they want to do - you could email and tell them its been returned as not known. One option would be to refund and relist if they want to buy it again but the refund could affect your seller metrics so if you go down this route then use the most appropriate option on the drop down menu. Its a tricky one really - sorry I can't give much of an answer - could you ask the buyer to send the actual postage cost via paypal?
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Hi Bookworm,

Read your post he other day but did not think I had the answer but seeing Teapots answer I think I can help.

Last year I sent a book to Germany, about 1 month later it was returned to me as addressee not known, the buyer had not contacted me so I emailed her.
    She had not updated her new address with Amazon so it was sent to her old address, I asked her to cover the postage again if she wanted the book. She paid me the postage again through Paypal so I sent the book and got positive feedback.

Obviously not all buyers will be as nice as mine but it is worth a try especially if it is the buyers fault. If it is Amazon's I think you should resend it and pay for the postage so as not to affect your percentage's regarding refunds.

EE
  • becky004
    becky004 Posts: 5,163 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Help needed off a veteran. I sold a book and got a well founded complaint off the buyer (book should have had cards with it but I didn't realise). Have tried to refund today (before getting the book back as the lady needs another one ASAP, and it was my error).
    On my order page it says refund applied, but no money has been taken from my account and it is not showing up in my transactions, and I have received no email from Amazon to say a refund has been made. How long does it usually take to show up as I did it at 1.30 today.
    Thanks in advance.
    I love this board, have "virtually" met so many lovely people, people I am honoured to count as friends.
    March Wins - Product Of The Year Goody Bag

• becky004
    becky004 Posts: 5,163 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Has gone through now! So much for the "it will show up in 15 minutes"!
    I love this board, have "virtually" met so many lovely people, people I am honoured to count as friends.
    March Wins - Product Of The Year Goody Bag

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,357 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ah yes, the infamous Amazon timings. It's the same when they say they will transfer money to you shortly when you click shipped...
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • minniepoos_2
    Options
    I'VE DONE IT!!!

I've listed my first 9 items on Amazon. Just have to wait and see what happens now. Thanks for all the VERY helpful info on this thread. :beer:
    Total Debt January 2014 £10,725.44

MAKING MONEY IN 2014: £371.84
    £2 Saver #89 £16 ;) 20p Saver #45 £2.40
    Crazy Clothing Challenge 2014 #54 £46.73 / £150
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,357 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    minniepoos wrote: »
    I'VE DONE IT!!!

I've listed my first 9 items on Amazon. Just have to wait and see what happens now. Thanks for all the VERY helpful info on this thread. :beer:
    Another one hooked!

Welcome and I hope you get your first sale very quickly.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Gemmzie
    Gemmzie Posts: 14,876 Forumite
    Options
    Quick question, best time to end an auction for tickets? Friday evening?
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • minniepoos_2
    Options
    OMG!!! One of my items has sold!!! Already!!

I listed it at 10:13 and it sold at 11:36! :j:j:j
    Total Debt January 2014 £10,725.44

MAKING MONEY IN 2014: £371.84
    £2 Saver #89 £16 ;) 20p Saver #45 £2.40
    Crazy Clothing Challenge 2014 #54 £46.73 / £150
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income