New Post Advanced Search

January 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 December 2009 at 10:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.8K replies 123.7K views

Replies

• ellemmellemm Forumite
    11.3K posts
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    i'm really bored of cooking the same old stuff, so i'm going to actually get round to cooking some of the great things i've found on these threads. it needs to be stuff i already have the ingredients for though!!!
    I think i will try to cook at least one new thing every month from now on, and see how i go.
    PG x

Check out this thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2175791

• KitchenbunnyKitchenbunny Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I've not posted sooner, but I'm off work with a really bad cough/cold at the moment. I did manage to get to the shops last night, but beyond that the past few days have been NSDs (for which I am eternally grateful). Last night, including lots of tissues and cold remedies, I spent £46.70 which in addition to my spends so far is £183.67 :(

Heck.

And there's another week to go yet! Tell me it's a longer month than usual :D Ok, so I blew the budget a little by buying additional cleaning materials. I don't actually mind as I've certainly cut down on what I have spent in the past. I'm going to try again in February and re-set my budget for £200 a month, starting from Feb 1st.

It's weird. I considered £180 to be a reasonable amount for us both, and yet it has been the hardest to achieve. I have only done one big shop per week with a little top-up shop at the weekend. Oh well, back to the drawing board! I'll post my final total next week, but consider my challenge well and truly busted.

Kitchenbunny xx

• SunnyGirlSunnyGirl Forumite
    2.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just updating signature after today's weekly shopping. It came to £65.87 so I'm pleased. I seem to be sticking at just over £70 a week at the moment which is brilliant although it'll go up at the half term & Easter holidays I'm sure ;)

Off to catch up with the thread now hope that everyone is ok :D
    A G&T a day keeps the doctor away :p
  • taffy1969taffy1969 Forumite
    372 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Hi all. Not been on for a while, keeping track of my spending though. Spent £34.45 today in MrT, using £34 of clubcard vouchers, but still included in total. Updated total for the month so far, and am extremely pleased with myself. This only includes food, cat food and cleaning products but all the same, have normally spent over the £300 mark by now, easily.
    Whatever is left of my £300 budget I will transfer to my savings account and am hoping it's going to be about £50, fingers crossed.
    Hope everyone is getting on ok, I haven't really had time to read much of any of the threads I have signed up to, but am doing my best to stick to all my aims.
    Have a good day.
    Taffy
    Need to sort my life out! :T
  • Hi everyone :hello:

Spent £2.74 yesterday in Mr MS, so have updated sig to reflect this.

Will definitely be a NSD today as I'm off work and can hardly move with what I think is a trapped nerve in my shoulder :( and am waiting for the doctor to call (probably the result of too much MSE-posting, ha ha)! This is where my will power will be tested as, usually when I feel unwell, I can't be bothered with anything and that's when apathy starts in the kitchen and takeaways, well, take over :o

Hope everyone has a great day! At least I can keep up with this thread today as I'm housebound :D

Silver x
    1st LBM :idea: 21.12.09 Total Debt - £21049.95.
    Final LBM :idea: 16.8.13 Total Debt - £16583
    DFW Nerd #1282 - Proud to be Dealing with My Debts! :D
    :A SPC Member #1182 :A
  • mrs-moneypennymrs-moneypenny Forumite
    15.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    another nsd for me today and feeling really pleased with myself as i even walked past the shops to post some letters and didnt feel the need to 'pop in' and see if there was anything i wanted:T
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • I haven't posted for a while, but am getting worried now, the budget only has about £30 left in it til the end of the month. The problem is that OH has been buying milk etc., and not keeping the receipts. I will have to be much stricter about this.
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • RuthGRuthG Forumite
    315 posts
    another nsd for me today and feeling really pleased with myself as i even walked past the shops to post some letters and didnt feel the need to 'pop in' and see if there was anything i wanted:T

I know what you mean. I had to go to town to put soem cheques in the banjk. Decided to walk - probably a bad idea, as walking makes me soooo hungry. Anyway, in order not to pop into some cake shop or other, when I left the bank, I went up a side street that has no shops in it. I was very determined and managed to get home without spending anything and just had coffee and biscuit when I got in instead. Feeling very pleased with myself.

BTW, is there a weight loss forum here somewhere? I have been looking but cant seem to find one.

Ruth
    Sealed pot challenge no 889: £143.96 saved :j
    DayDream fund: £931.82 :j
    GC JAN£62.58/£200;Feb £100.39/£200
    NSD Jan 18/30; Feb 20/27
    Ideal weight:aim 8st7lbs; weigh in Mondays: started Jan 2010; so far: 3lbs/23lbs :(
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

A NSD yesterday on the GC front. Did have to get a childrens b'day gift tho' for DS2's friend.

Realised today that although I've prepared bolognaise sauce for tomorrows dinner, I don't have any spaghetti! So after visiting MrT for that, plus some mushrooms, I'm on to report a spend of £7.42, which also netted me a couple of whoopsies for the freezer and some cereal.

I'm on a course for the next 2 days, so will take lunch with me. Should be able to declare a healthy underspend on Friday - which although sounds smug - will help towards a debt, so no big spending spree for me unfortunately. If I can get to grips with our last few debts, I'm hoping to be able to live a little less frugally this year. Here's hoping....

Have a good day all.

Coxy
    xx
    Cross-stitch WIP: A Pair Tree by Susan Hillis Designs
    Crochet WIP: Dune blanket from Attic24
  • As I'm off work today and we have visitors on the weekend I have popped to Mr S to do a quick shop using a £4 off a £20 spend voucher they sent me. BUT, I forgot my Nectar card card couldn't use the voucher - the lady did say I could do something about it next time I'm in though so all is not lost!

I must say that there were a few quite good bargains around - I always think Mr T is cheaper but perhaps a change is as good as a rest?! Quite a few BOGOFs worth having and things like packs of fresh sausages on offer for a £1, lots of quorn stuff for a £1, meatless products 2 for £3, bread rolls on BOGOFF etc. Managed to get one or two meat whoopsies too.

All in all, I spent £29 and seemed to get quite a lot for the money for a change (even forgetting the voucher!)

We now have plenty of food for the last week in Jan (next week) apart from some F&V and milk that I'll pick up on the weekend sometime.

There's about £13 left in the budget which will hopefully cover it but it'll be tight!
    January grocery spending - £82.73/ £120