PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• RuthG
    RuthG Posts: 315 Forumite
    Options
    Another NSD today.

Lunch was courtesy of my client.

On the way home, I was thinking I 'needed' some potatoes for tonight's tea, but decided that I have pasta at home, so I will use that instead. So tea tonight is the second half of a tin of corned beef, with onions and a tin of chopped tomatoes, to make a pasta sauce. I will probably add some mushrooms too as I have some from last week that will need using up soon.

If it goes right, then I may well have some left over for tomorrow, to which I will add chilli powder and serve with rice.

This challenge really focuses the mind and makes you inventive when it comes to meal preparation. We dont actually need half the things we think we do after all :eek:

Ruth
    Sealed pot challenge no 889: £143.96 saved :j
    DayDream fund: £931.82 :j
    GC JAN£62.58/£200;Feb £100.39/£200
    NSD Jan 18/30; Feb 20/27
    Ideal weight:aim 8st7lbs; weigh in Mondays: started Jan 2010; so far: 3lbs/23lbs :(
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Options
    Today should be an NSD - it is possible we may nip to Asda on the way back from the gym later but unlikely, it would mean getting out of te car into the cold:rotfl:

Dinner tonight will be HM pea and ham soup and some part baked baguettes I got in Lidl before Xmas that needs using up. Need to remember to get some bolognese sauce out of the freezer tonight for spag bol/lasagne tomorrow night, what we have depends on how I feel at the time but probably lasagne. I really love having the batch cooked stuff in the freezer but its the remembering to take it out that floors me.

Hard day at work today and the week will only get more dodgy so better go and get myself organised:D
  • moonbabe58
    Options
    Just done the weekly shop, the usual Aldi first, then a quick trip to Sainsburys for a few little bits. Managed to only spend £16.95 for the whole week :D should just need to get bread later in the week and thats it.

Was impressed with Aldis super 6 this week, got packet of grapes 69p and decent sized bag of carrots 29p
    Expecting Baby No 1 - 20/06/14 - Team Yellow!
  • poppy-glos
    Options
    JayJay14 wrote: »
    Today should be an NSD - it is possible we may nip to Asda on the way back from the gym later but unlikely, it would mean getting out of te car into the cold:rotfl:

Dinner tonight will be HM pea and ham soup and some part baked baguettes I got in Lidl before Xmas that needs using up. Need to remember to get some bolognese sauce out of the freezer tonight for spag bol/lasagne tomorrow night, what we have depends on how I feel at the time but probably lasagne. I really love having the batch cooked stuff in the freezer but its the remembering to take it out that floors me.

Hard day at work today and the week will only get more dodgy so better go and get myself organised:D

hi jayjay, we usually defrost the bol sauce/chilli/curry in the microwave while the pasta/rice is boiling. i saw jamie o once putting his (sealed) bag of frozen sauce in the pan with the boiling water and pasta/rice to defrost it on one of his progs, knowing my luck the bag would split and i would have a watery mess, so microwave it is for us.
    nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
  • NJW69
    NJW69 Posts: 843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Husband bought a loaf and some milk at local shop yesterday so I would estimate that was £3.00. I've been to M&S today to get the three for £10 on meat and spent £17.99 (we'll call it £18 for ease) as I bought some cooked meat for my lunch and some more milk as I didn't realise he'd got milk as well. Won't be a problem as DS2 (nearly 19 and seems to be taller every day) will drink it.

So that makes it £21 spent to add to my £210 previously so £241/£350. Will update signature now.

Eating some roast ham for tea that I took out of the freezer last night that I froze at Christmas, served with left over roast potatoes from last night and red cabbage and apple also from freezer at Christmas.

Bought a whole chicken, pork steaks and chicken breast fillets in ginger and chilli in Marks so that will do a few teas including a slow cooker roast chicken, chicken soup and some hot chicken sandwiches.
    GC Jan £318/£350, Feb £221.84/£300, Mar £200.00/£250 Apr £201.05/£200 May £199.61/£200 June £17.25/£200

NSD Feb 23/12 :j NSD Mar 20/20 NSD Apr 24/20
    May 24/24
  • NJW69
    NJW69 Posts: 843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Husband bought a loaf and some milk at local shop yesterday so I would estimate that was £3.00. I've been to M&S today to get the three for £10 on meat and spent £17.99 (we'll call it £18 for ease) as I bought some cooked meat for my lunch and some more milk as I didn't realise he'd got milk as well. Won't be a problem as DS2 (nearly 19 and seems to be taller every day) will drink it.

So that makes it £21 spent to add to my £217 previously so £238/£350. Will update signature now.

Eating some roast ham for tea that I took out of the freezer last night that I froze at Christmas, served with left over roast potatoes from last night and red cabbage and apple also from freezer at Christmas.

Bought a whole chicken, pork steaks and chicken breast fillets in ginger and chilli in Marks so that will do a few teas including a slow cooker roast chicken, chicken soup and some hot chicken sandwiches.

Does anyone know how to make crumpets?
    GC Jan £318/£350, Feb £221.84/£300, Mar £200.00/£250 Apr £201.05/£200 May £199.61/£200 June £17.25/£200

NSD Feb 23/12 :j NSD Mar 20/20 NSD Apr 24/20
    May 24/24
  • Keiss_21
    Keiss_21 Posts: 2,652 Forumite
    Options
    Arrrgh, was only going to get a few bits and pieces, but ended up spending over £75 in Mr T today!!! :eek::eek:

Over half of it was on house stuff, including ink cartridges for the printer, at less than half price - I got the last two, a great saving!!!!! I also got a new shower head...we have been putting up with a very drippy one for months now...so it was about time to replace it.

Still, I am well within the months budget, I include all groceries and house-stuff. Apart from eggs and some veg I need to get from the local greengrocer, we will be fine for the best part of the rest of the month (fingers crossed!!).

Off to have tea, scrummy spag bol...my pan was almost not big enough after adding lots of veg, soya mince, oats and lentils...it's amazing how far you can stretch 400g of mince!! :D

13 projects in 2013: 7/13
    Cross-stitch Club Member no 13
    Weight loss since 24/06/2012: 30lb
  • carolt2
    carolt2 Posts: 854 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 January 2010 at 10:22PM
    Options
    Evening everyone, hope everyone is well:hello:.

Logged on to update signature and catch up on thread.
    Have spent a whopping £83.01 over the last few days:eek:, but have stocked up on alot of things that wont be needed until next month.
    So over the next few months things should even up.

We went to Mr A tonight, unexpected shop:rolleyes:.

For anyone with cats Catsan is on offer £4 for 10 litres normally sells for £5.35 ish.
    They were also selling 2kg bags of whiskas complete cat food for £3, again sells for around £4.75 (we normally mix a bag of this with same amount of a cheaper biscuit makes it goes further and cats dont seem to notice;). So small savings to be made, but it does add up!
    I bought some of the D&A 97% pork sausages to try, heard alot about them these were also on offer 3 packs for £5

Asda own double concentrate squash £1.38 for 1.5litre or 2 bottles for £2.50, you can get a 3litre bottle for £2.80, so smaller bottles are cheaper.

OH picked up a few items from the bakery that are now stashed in the freezer.
    Might need more milk before month is out but hoping not to spend much more.
    Fingers crossed:rolleyes:
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
  • welshkaz
    welshkaz Posts: 288 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all had a small delivery from tesco today for £41 so takes my total to £201/£280 budget im really impressed to be honest for a first month challenge, before xmas i could with hubby easily spend 100+ a week on food and its also made him more thrifty with his money i think hes feeling a little guilty spending when im not lol im off to watch hustle now thats a way to make some cash lol..
    may groc challenge £167/£280...
  • TheBees
    TheBees Posts: 601 Forumite
    Options
    2nd NSD in a row for me which is unheard of! Might manage another one tomorrow too as I've no plans to go shopping. And as a bonus I was given 4 x £2 coins when I asked the school office to change a £10 note into coins so they've gone in my jar. :j

Yesterday's meal was chicken in "coat n cook" using some chicken legs I bought for xmas incase the turkey wasn't big enough. Of course it was, so the legs got frozen. We had the chicken legs with baked potatoes and vegetables. I also made a "self saucing chocolate pudding" which is really quick and easy and we all enjoyed with some ice cream.

Tonight we had fish in batter, chips and beans. It's a quick and easy meal on a Monday as we have running club and can't be bothered doing anything too complicated or time consuming. Tomorrow it's a frozen leftover bolognese which we'll be having with pasta - possibly baked in the oven with some garlic bread. Can't remember what's planned for Thurs/Fri but I know there are meals to last us til the weekend.

Working in the supermarket a couple nights a week tends to keep me away from the shops during the day. I can't bear the thought of trapesing round a supermarket during the day doing my shopping then having to go and fill shelves in the evening.:eek: Anyway STILL waiting to find out if the job's going to continue after the end of the month. :mad:

Sorry for the rambling post this evening. Good luck to you all.
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family