PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,778 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning,

I have a £14.44 Asda spend to add to my total. It should have been more, but I had some e-vouchers. It would also have been less if the delivery man hadn't left some of my shopping on the van. Whilst out replacing it this morning, a few other items slipped into my trolley (Muller bio crunch corners 2 packs for £3).
  • tessasmum
    tessasmum Posts: 238 Forumite
    Options
    Just popping on to update my total after the shopping I did on Saturday.

Have only £38.05 to last the rest of the month if I am going to keep to my budget, but the freezers are fit to burst so we should be fine - I am going to do it, I am going to do it, I am ...
    December GC: £350
  • Winged_one
    Options
    Today I am happy with progress. We spent €15 at Mr T and €14 at Mr M&S on Saturday (sig already updated). For that, we got the urgent groceries, milk to do us until the end of the week, bread for the weekend, sausage rolls and cheeses for lunches, and a full sunday dinner with wine. We need some more fruit, and a loaf of bread, to get us to the weekend.

But we had a roast chicken last night with roast spuds and cauliflower cheese. Leftover chicken will be reheated tonight with a tomato sauce and some fresh pasta.
    Tomorrow will be a beef stew in the crockpot (beef was in freezer).
    Wednesday is bits and pieces from freezer, as we're all eating at different times.
    Thursday, I have a lasagne in the freezer, or we'll make a chorizo potato bake, with the other probably on Friday.

And we have a profiterole stack to share tonight and tomorrow night, as we were too tired (from an extremely hectic weekend) to consider dessert last night.
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • skaps
    skaps Posts: 2,255 Forumite
    Options
    Im finding that going shopping by myself seems to be the cheapest way. This way i focus on my list plus there is only so much i can carry on the bus home! The OH likes it too, as long as i've got him his snacks. Going to get a few bits today as am running low on cheese and bread flour. Will update signature and post again later when im back from the shops.
    MFW 2016 No 68 £1300/£8500 No new toiletries Cook sth different
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    BenW wrote: »
    Well, a whole weekend without spending anything - thanks to having to teach a course and getting all my merals on expenses. So two NSDs in a row, making a total spend this week on groceries of £5.50. Excuse me if Im sounding smug!

Ruth

I know the feeling:beer:
  • Ayeshalush
    Options
    :mad:Quite annoyed with myself as I didn't need anything except 4 tins tomatoes but ended up spendind £16.55 on deodorant (BOGOF - too good an offer to resist), polenta (been looking for this for months but can't remember what I wanted it for), pizza and microwave popcorn (because I fancied them!!:mad:), painkillers (I had a headache) and veg (had enough to see me through to next week without this :confused:). Only went because my mum needed stuff and my dad was away with their car!!

I will buying nothing, except any fruit or veg required for next week, until the end of the month. I REFUSE to go over budget in my first month!!

A
    x
  • herewegoagain2010
    Options
    I've not posted for a while and need to have a tally up how much I've spent. I know i've gone over, but not sure how much by :mad: The fridge and freezer are full I don't think I'll need much between now and pay day 25th. Will update when I get a spare 10 minutes and the calculator!
    Starting again and working towards our new df life!
    A very proud forces wife
  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Had to go back to co-op for their loo roll deal - OOS again!!! Arrghh! And it ends tomorrow...

So I bought the value stuff, it's actually the best value loo roll I've used to I can bear it and at 44p for 4 can't really complain. Also got tissues for 26p - kids wasting loads at the moment.

Blew budget by buying two packs of chicken breasts at 1/2 price but they are Elmwood british ones (I only usually buy FR) and I am testing them to see if they are ok. I don't buy breasts usually as FR so expensive but at least these are british and are reared to "some" standards. We'll see, I can't afford to have incredibly high standards at the moment!

Messed up meal plan too though...

Spent £20
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • poppy-glos
    Options
    went to mr m without a list, £21.41 spend. Bought chicken, veggies, oil, mayo, milk, eggs at twice the price i usually pay (the freerange place i buy direct from was padlocked shut!).

Impulse buy of pate (about 60p) but other than that all stuff i needed for this week. Pate will go in sandwiches for work and provide some variety.

Davidstow cheddar appeared cheap, at £4.29 a kg (usually buy cheddar on offer at half price and that is usually about £4.99 a kilo on offer i think).

nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
  • Purpleclutterbuck
    Options
    There I was walking around Mr M putting this, that and lots of other stoopid stuff in my trolley when I stopped and suddenly remembered the Grocery challenge from last year! What was I doing?:confused: so a heck of a lot of stuff went back on the shelves and instead of approx £110 (added up mega roughly in the old bonce) I skipped out with £70 of stuff suitable for at least 10-14 days and lots of veg pasta and rice to eeeekkkk out the protein.
    So, may I please return with head hung in shame and put down a monthly figure of
    Purpleclutterbuck -£280 ??????
    :o:o:o:o:o:o
    May you fill up the great clutterbucket of life and may all of your leaks be in cheese sauce:D
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport