PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• elizabunny
    elizabunny Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all,

NSD for me today at last. HM Veg. and Barley Soup with crusty roll for dinner followed by Beef Brisket, Sprouts and Potatoes. Too full for pud.:D

I need to cook for an extra 2 on Tuesday, I was thinking of going out and buying some extra Stewing Beef, but I already have some so I am hoping to str...e...tch it a bit with some inventive cooking.

Still loving my pressure cooker and getting a bit more confident now.

Oooooops had to throw away three quarters of a cucumber today :mad:that's 3 things now since Xmas. I hate waste!

Hope everyone had a nice weekend.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • peetzil39
    Options
    Evening folks,

Had a quiet weekend, tesco delivery today, but few items 'unavailable' so had to buy from local coop as well! Spent in total £91.94, so will update sig. Managed to get out in the garden for the first time this year, it felt almost springlike here in Scotland, and isin't it great to see grass again after all that snow! :j
    Peetzil x
    CC 1 Halifax £4350(4.9%)
    CC 2 MBNA £6260 (5.4%)
    CC 3 Barclaycard 8500(0%)
    CC 4 Tesco £2500
    O/D £3000:eek:
  • pammyj74
    pammyj74 Posts: 3,290 Forumite
    Options
    spent £10.53 today, stocked up on cheddars as last day of half price and i love em!!
    also got 5p whoopsie rolls and 45p cooked bacon ribs which we had for tea - yummy

total now at £64.38
    MPs left feb '08 276- Dec 13 36 :T MB Jan 10 ~ £82,377 Dec 13 ~ £29987
    EMFD was Feb 32 :eek: NOW Dec 2013 its Dec 2016
    MF new target Dec 16 REACHED!! :j
  • mrssnowy_2
    Options
    I keep reading about meal planning for a week or the month,I find this difficult ,but what works for me is 'planning' 2 days at a time!That way I can get DH on board and he is more likely to accept a surprise package from the shop-in-the-shed:rotfl:no nothing smutty:o the freezer

But as we all know,that is what this site is about-bouncing ideas off each other and learning on the way.

Night all
    mrss
    You can't stay young for ever,but you can be immature for the rest of your life.
  • daisy1973
    daisy1973 Posts: 117 Forumite
    edited 18 January 2010 at 12:46AM
    Options
    Hi all,hope everyone has had a good weekend,3 NSDs for me so im happy:T,Stocking up abit tomorrow and have got to put petrol in the car so that will 'bump' me up abit.Never mind:rolleyes:Will report back in the day to update.Loved the thread Rosieben found ,enjoyed reading that,always good to feel inspired:DNight all.
    £365 in 365 days challenge(dec 09/ dec 10)£62 banked:D
    Feb GC /£390(me,DH,DD(17),DS(12)2dogs)
    (food,drink,household goods,toiletries,petrol)
    Drop one thing in 2010 challenge-Magazines
    50,000 situps by end of 2010 1024/20,000(own target):)
  • Alison_Funnell
    Options
    Well I have decided to go with adding the full amount and making a minor amendment to my sig. I will still have the Jan GC bit but will add a running total for the year and maybe add a yearly target.

Hello - sorry I haven't been a very regular visitor. I thought I had completely blown my budget today - having made a £70!!! online order with MrT then I remembered that it is a bulk buy that will cover atleast 4-6 weeks.

So here is my question do I declare over for this month but keep a running total over the following months challenges ( I intend to keep this up all year - maybe with a slightly higher budget) and see how things balance out. Or do I adjust the amount to add the proportion it I intend for January?
    Put the kettle on. ;)
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Saturday was a non-NSD (8th of the month), but Sunday wasn't !!!

After some serious spending on food - including stocking up on the pop DS likes but I can't get often as I rarely go to Mr A (own label), and favourite crisps for both of us (currently half price at Mr T) - I'm now over-budget compared to where I wanted to be at this point of the month :o

But I really shouldn't need much but milk (and bread?) for the rest of the month - though, once I clear some space in the freezer (having filled it back up today), I'll need to replace the ice-cream DS finished the best part of a week ago. He hasn't nagged yet, but I'm sure he will if he spots I've replaced the ice-cream sauce he finished at the same time :rolleyes2 (just happened to be cheaper in Mr A than anywhere else, so got some while I was there!)
    Cheryl
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone :wave:

i`ve a planned NSD today and i`m pleased to report that DH came back from the supermarket with only what was on the shopping list - milk :D

It must have been quite difficult really as he usually spends about 2 hours in there as one of us takes Dad to the supermarket once a week as he can`t get about on his own.

Tea tonight will be a whoopsied steak pie that we got a while ago and froze with jacket potatoes and peas so a nice easy meal for later.

Good luck peeps.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • MrsBsBlog
    Options
    Good morning all!
    I haven`t been around for a while with one thing and another, but have managed to keep track of my spending. For some reason my signiture won`t come up but so far I have spent

£206.16 out of the £400.00

So I don`t think I am doing too badly as this includes a couple of take-aways aswell.

Milk seems to be going down pretty quick in our house, any thing upto 4 pints a day, even though I am still watering it down. Also managed a NSD yesterday, but will have to do a weekly shop maybe today.

Good luck to everyone else in your challenges.

NOTE:my signiture is now working ya hoo!
    Grocery Challenge 2010 £400 each month
    January £377.67 February £375.18 March £355.43
    April £506.23 May £381.04 June £88.58
  • KCSunshine_2
    Options
    Morning Folks, it takes me a while to catch up - but hopefully now the kids are really back at school I can get the time.

My husband did our Co-op shop when he did DD ballet run, he stuck to the list I gave him, except picked up a full priced gammon at £10 (should have been ones at £3 per kilo). Any one know a rubber gammon recipe?

So another £30.48 to my monthly total giving £164.98, with a 12 NSD this month (can’t take all the credit the weather really helped).

Thanks to Taka, Keiss and Sistercas; on you advice re homemade oven chips, I really appreciated it. So last night I took the plunge, par boiled for 5 mins, then olive oil spray, plus a little salts, lots of freshly ground pepper and a small dash of paprika. In the oven with the gammon and salmon - both dug out of the depths of the freezer. They were a hit with the whole family – so no more shop brought for me.

I also made homemade KFC on Saturday night, rather have shop brought Fish and Chips (which we always had when I was working). I took a Co-op bargain chicken (brought in December, from the freezer), and cut up into 8 portions (thanks Delia)– made the bones and skin into stock. 1 egg, and some seasoned (salt, pepper, paprika, thyme) breadcrumbs, rested in fridge; fried to seal then into a hot oven for 20 minutes. Another hit, must admit they are getting used to just having their dinner put in front of them rather than the “what would you like” that I previously did.

I have been slowly doing a stock take – was forced midweek when a can of syrup tipped itself up in my cupboard; found several tins of fish like Mackerel and jars of Anchovies; any suggestions?

Now have to pluck up the enthusiasm to do the freezer, we seemed to have 2 shelves of ice cream – wish me luck. Does ice cream go off?

KCS
    November 2009 stopped my world and jumped off.. (was shuvved!)
    2010 Challenges: Frugal living - 20% of 2009 income; reduce self by 30%.
    GC: Jan £400/£164.98 RS: To Date 63/10 lbs Jan 7/1 lbs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport