We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Luke keep giving prezzies to Leia's ungrateful kids?

Options

Comments

• Annieruss
    Options
    We're only responsible for our own behaviour and not responsible for the behaviour of others. If we put our own standards on others, then we're judging them and that's not right. In this situation I would consider only the question "do I want to give a gift?" And if the answer is yes then I do it with pleasure. I don't expect thanks in return so don't look for it. If a thankyou comes - it's a bonus. :A
  • nicegal_2
    Options
    "In this situation I would consider only the question "do I want to give a gift?"

Aye there's the rub. It's the people I feel duty-bound to give gifts to (nieces and nephews) because their parents give gifts to my family that I resent when they don't thank me!
  • Frank. wrote: »
    What should he send to Uncle Yoda though :confused:

Mmmm! a nice new pair of socks send should he! Mmmm!
  • wurley
    wurley Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Take the presents after xmas and then you can see them open them.... Kiddies aren't bothered if they get a present late if they already have others to open (it extends xmas for them!)

Then you get to see their faces ... at least you'll know if they like what you get.

My opinion is that presents from aunts uncles cousins etc are not main presents so maybe you should look at how much you are spending on them.
  • Help_Wanted
    Help_Wanted Posts: 34 Forumite
    edited 24 December 2009 at 1:38PM
    Options
    Every year we send out money in the form of cheques to our nieces and nephews and some text or phone to say thank you and in the past we have had thank you letters. However there are some that never contact us at all but I would agree that it's not a kids fault as the parents are the ones who need to teach them to say thank you. It's only till their 21 then it all stops.
    When we were young we didn't have much and didn't need much either. Even now we only buy the necessities and occasionally treat ourselves to something special which makes you appreciate it more. I suppose it depends on how content you are in life. Family means more to us than material possessions.

Sometimes I think we are all just like sheep and the companies are the shepherds....they bring out something new as a must have and we all fall for it and go out and buy it just to make them money:o when we don't really need it.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL.....:xmassmile BAH HUMBUG:silenced:
    Live for today and don't worry about tomorrow!!:EasterBun
  • Lynda1305
    Options
    I always used to tell my son that if he didn't write thank you letters then I would, telling them not to bother sending anything next year. That did the trick! But if the parents can't be bothered to instill manners in their children why bother to send anything?
  • barri_2
    barri_2 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    robpw2 wrote: »
    no he shouldnt
    No, but he should write to his sister asking if the kids ever got those he sent last year, and the year before, etc., saying that as he hadn't heard, he assumed they had never arrived. However if his son gets presents from his aunt, then maybe he should continue to send some, but he should still write to his sister and ask her to acknowledge receipt.
  • diberry
    Options
    It really bugs me when people don't send a thank you - an email or text would do if people can't manage a phone call. This happens with all my brother's children and their children too. Must admit I gave up sending after some years of this. My brother and his wife don't send thank yous either nor my inlaws -grrrrrrr! :mad:It would be nice just to know the gifts got there safely.:wall:
  • awehla
    awehla Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't bother, they obviously don't. Though I would make a point of telling my sister why I was no longer sending gifts.
  • nicegal_2
    Options
    Lynda1305 wrote: »
    I always used to tell my son that if he didn't write thank you letters then I would, telling them not to bother sending anything next year. That did the trick!

Now why didn't I think of that :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family